Search Home : Arts : Architecture : Preservation
- Amsterdam Heritage: Introduction to the architectural history of Amsterdam, Netherlands, and its preservation, from Municipal Department for Preservation and Restoration of Historic Buildings and Sites.
- Building Conservation: Cathedral Communications provides a directory of building conservation companies, courses and organizations, mainly in the United Kingdom. Also on-line articles and events listing.
- College Town Life: Information on the importance of perserving neighborhoods adjacent to campuses in U.S. college towns.
- Conserving the Modern in Canada: The first conference to be organised in the country that will look at Modernist works from 1945-2005. The conference will be held at Trent University, May 6-8, 2005.
- Cultural Heritage Charters and Standards: A review of the principal UNESCO and ICOMOS charters and standards for the preservation of cultural heritage by J.K. Gillon.
- Cultural Heritage Search Engine: A directory of sites related to the conservation of cultural heritage - the natural and urban landscape. English and Italian.
- Donhead Publishing: Specializes in practical books on building conservation, preservation and heritage. Also publishes the Journal of Architectural Conservation: abstracts online.
- Ecole d'Avignon: Offers courses and consulting in historic preservation, decorative painting, and traditional building techniques. Avignon, France.
- European Heritage Network: The Council of Europe offers a databank on official heritage policies, and a heritage portal.
- Heritage Preservation Services: The US National Park Service provides illustrated guidelines for rehabilitating historic properties, preservation briefs, information on tax incentives and a catalog of its publications.
- Historic Buildings and Structures: An annotated list describing preservation programs developed by the United States National Park Service. Includes both public and professional sections, with links to each program.
- Masonry Conservation Research Group: In the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen describes its research into building stone decay, conservation and historic preservation.
- National Center for Preservation Technology and Training: The U.S. National Park Service provides searchable databases on training, materials, job opportunities, conferences, funding and its grants and projects.
- Old House Journal: Online magazine. Preservation advice for owners of old homes, restoration directory, products, classifieds, bulletin boards.
- Ortygia: Architect Sergio Tinè uses his experience of conserving historic buildings in the island of Ortygia to propose a code of professional practice for urban conservation.
- Parabow: Aims to preserve and reconstruct ancient wooden buildings, involving business and educational partners from eight European countries. News, projects, personnel.
- Pond Lily Mill Restorations: Ted Hazen supplies extensive, illustrated information on the history and technology of flour milling in America, and the restoration of watermills, with bibliography.
- Preservation: Umbrella and portal for interrelated sites intended to help meet needs of the US preservation community. Sections include education and training, partnerships, networking, trades, resources.
- Preservation Alumni: Independent organization of friends and alumni of the Columbia University Historic Preservation Program.
- Preservation Directory: Resources and research tools for historic preservation and cultural `resource` management in the US. Lists preservation organizations, programs, historic property for sale, news and events.
- Preserve Net: Cornell University's `resource` for US preservationists includes listings of job opportunities and conferences, along with a directory of web-sites related to historic preservation.
- Preserve and Protect: A not-for-profit corporation providing space on the web for historic preservation and environmental protection organizations.
- Restoration Trades Exchange: An online business exchange for the building restoration field in America, featuring directories, job listings, trade forums, regional information.
- Riwaq - Centre for Architectural Conservation: Aims to safeguard Palestinian heritage. Projects, including a national register, publications, on-line exhibition of Palestinian tiles.
- Saving The East's Architectural Heritage: Series by Lindsay Percival-Straunik on the challenges of preserving the rich architectural heritage of Eastern and Central Europe and the former Soviet Union. From Radio Free Europe.
- The Conservation Glossary: Architectural, building and conservation terms explained by Neil Grieve of The Centre for Conservation and Urban Studies, University of Dundee.
- The Slate Roof Quarterly: A free newsletter about the slate roofing industry directed at roofing contractors, architects, roofing materials suppliers, and owners of buildings with slate roofs.
- USGS National Geologic Lexicon Database: Find out about US stone names here.
- Walk Through Historic Buildings: The US National Park Service provides this quick guide to identifying the visual character of a historic building, to be aware of what is important to preserve. Includes a quiz.