Search Home : Arts : Crafts : Book Arts
- Book Arts Web: Reference site for all the book arts with tutorials, links, publications, galleries. Home page of the Book_Arts-L listserv.
- Conservation OnLine: Conservation OnLine (CoOL), a project of the Preservation Department of Stanford University Libraries, cover a wide spectrum of topics of interest to professionals involved with the conservation of library, archives and museum materials.
- Accent on Images: Online exhibition showcasing illustrated books in modern foreign languages from the fifteenth through the twentieth centuries selected from the collections of the Libraries of The Claremont Colleges.
- Alciato's Book of Emblems: A collection of 212 Latin emblem poems, each consisting of a motto, a picture, and an epigrammatic text. Popular in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Alice Simpson: Handmade Books: Article on Alice Simpson, whose bookworks celebrate contemporary dances such as Tango, Rumba, Swing, and Hip Hop.Work by this New York based artist is collected internationally.Feature article by James Weaver.
- Amalgamated Printers' Association: The organization is composed of hobby letterpress printers. Many print books using theletterpress.
- Amano Books: Hand bound journals using handmade and recycled paper and odds & ends.
- Andrew Eason: Gallery of artists' books. Includes several complete books and surveys of others. Also includes links, prices and contact details.
- Art and Soul Studio: Ancient bookmaking techniques meet the 21st Century. Teaching of classes also available upon request.
- Art of Binding: A site for book lovers, instructive, with a strong emphasis on bookbinding. Includes exhibits of hand bound books.
- Bay Area Book Arts: The site provides resources for San Francisco area book artists, including a calendar, a list of organizations, and a directory of local stores and classes.
- Beaux-Arts Bindings: Tutorials on book making and a portfolio containing work from various disciplines.
- Binding Time and Space: Examining a Renaissance Italian Manuscript in the Computer Age.
- Book Art Museum: Publisher of rare and artistic books, collection of old printing machines and equipment, paper mill, typefoundery, exhibitions, educational programs. In English and Polish.
- Book Art Passions: Original artist books with image gallery.
- Book Arts Jam: The yearly Book Arts Jam features the work of more than 50 book artists, zine publishers, letterpress printers, fine binders and printmakers. The Jam takes place every fall on the campus of Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, CA.
- Book Sequence Gallery: Contains photo-based bookworks and photographs by Canadian artist Peter Sramek, as well as his students and other artists.
- Booklyn Artists Alliance: Artist-run organisation organises exhibitions,publications and a touring "Bookmobile". Offers consultancy on developing collections of artists' books to institutions.Links to members and collecting institutions.
- Bookmobile Project: Annual touring exhibition of artist books, zines, and independent publications traveling by way of a vintage Airstream. Tour dates, gallery, and how to submit a piece.
- Books By Hand: Handcrafted wooden-bound books and albums, some inset with an ammonite or Whitby jet.
- Boxcar Press: Boxcar Press publishes letterpress printed books and broadsides. Offers printing and photopolymer services to meet the needs of artists, designers, and others who love fine printing.
- Boxwood Bindery: Offers handbound leather books.
- Briar Press: A searchable site includes an online letterpress museum and glossary, free downloadable eps images, and a directory of resources.
- Bridal Flower books: This page features the flower-shaped books the Bay Area Book Artists (BABA) made for a bridal wedding bookquet.
- Calligraphy Studio Resource Guide: The Calligraphy Studio Resource Guide is meant to function as a central directory of available Internet resources of interetest to Calligraphers, Book Artists, Studio Artists, and Crafters alike.
- Cincinnati Book Arts Society: News, events and exhibits of the Cincinnati Book Arts Society. Visiting book artist lectures and workshops.
- Colophon Page: Internet community of collectors, dealers, creators and lovers of the fine publishing arts.
- David Esslemont: Artist, designer, printer and bookbinder who publishes fine books and prints in limited editions. Commissions accepted.
- Don Glaister : The Brooklyn Bridge : A Love Song: The Brooklyn Bridge: A Love Song is a painted book by Don Glaister.
- Dreaming Mind Handmade Books: Don Drake of Dreaming Mind creates unique handmade journals, albums, guest books, and appointment books. Creator of the True Step binding system.
- Ellen and Reed's Handcrafted Books: Handcrafted notebooks, journals, and photographs. Hardcover books plus books with leather and wooden covers. Located in Bellingham, Washington.
- Ergo Pers: Publisher of books and editions of French and English poetry.
- Eric Alstrom | BookWorks: Gallery of fine bindings and artists books. Also workshop descriptions, sample workshop instructions. contact info and links. By Eric Alstrom.
- Foolscap Press - Bindery and Publishers: Foolscap Press is a small letterpress printing, hand binding and publishing company. We publish limited edition hand made books and do custom printing, binding and portfolio case construction.
- GalleriaMia Book Arts: Design bookbindings and artist's books by Mia Leijonstedt. Finely bound books for book collectors. Book arts courses and workshops.
- Gracia Haby and Louise Jennison: This site offers artists' books created by two contemporary visual artists based in Melbourne, Australia.
- Gracie Sparkles Books: A gallery and shop featuring hand-bound books and other items created by gracie sparkles, a journalism student, bookbinder and printmaker from Ohio.
- Hand Bound Books by Designer Folds: Handmade photo albums, journals, scrapbooks and notebooks featuring a variety of binding styles plus origami, jewelry boxes and unusual creations.
- Handmade Books by Joe Herring Jr.: Handmade books and blank books, bound by hand in three styles (Japanese Binding).
- Havilah Press: Site highlighting the work, activities, and projects of a private press in the San Francisco Bay Area which focuses on letterpress printing with handpresses, unique editions, and hand bookbinding.
- If'n Books and Marks: Handmade by Debora Dormody at a small bindery in Rhode Island.
- Incline Press: A small, private press that prints limited-edition books by letterpress using a platen press and binds them by hand. Their books are usually illustrated, either with wood engravings or cuts, linocuts or line blocks, and are often hand-coloured with stencils
- Kara Sjoblom, Book Artist: Kara Sjoblom is a book artist in the San Francisco bay area. This site features her artist books, zines and other artistic endeavors.
- Karen Hanmer: A gallery of installation, rebound, and altered books using a variety of materials and binding techniques.
- Lark Sparrow Press: Lark Sparrow is a private press dedicated to contemporary works of fiction and poetry.
- Mad Molly Press: An independent printing press and book arts studio where customers provide the raw materials (i.e. text, photos, ideas, etc.) and they turn them into books.
- Maher Bindery: Specializes in the restoration and repair of books. Also offers bookbinding, box making and blank books and journals.
- Making Books with Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord: Tips and projects for teachers, parents, and children.
- Mark Hiner's Pop-Up Books: Paper engineer, Mark Hiner, shows examples of his pop-ups and interactive books. Includes a short history of pop-ups and how to make pop-up books.
- Meadow Press: handprinted, limited editions: Meadow Press publications have been printed letterpress from metal types on mouldmade and handmade papers with emphasis on hand techniques, high standards in craft, and harmony of design and text.
- Mission Creek Press: Artist's books and custom commercial work created by Roberta Lavadour under the Mission Creek Press imprint. Located in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon.
- Modern Bookbinding: This site features modern bookbinding of books,albums and boxes in ISO 216 sizes
- Mosher Press: Website devoted to the history of what is described as "the first significant private press in America." Includes a biography of its founder, information on notable exhibitions and collections of Mosher Press editions, and other information valueable to collectors of rare books.
- Mystical Places Press, limited edition artist books that celebrate the natural environment.: Here are handcrafted artist books (some miniature) that celebrate the spirit and aesthetics of the natural environment. With content by photographer Jill Timm, subjects range from Yellowstone to Butterflies, from sand dunes to the Canadian Rockies.
- Nicole Andersen Book Arts: The Nicole Andersen Book Arts site is designed to show clients and prospective clients examples of the custom, hand bound albums, portfolios, and boxes we create in our studio.
- One Heart Press: Fine letterpress printers serving the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. We print stationery, invitations and artists' books.
- Page Two, Inc.--Publisher of The Book Arts Directory and The Book Arts Classified: Resources and inspiration for artists and other specialists working in the fields of papermaking, printmaking, book design, letterpress, traditional/contemporary bookbinding, artists' books, and related endeavors.
- Paper Birds, Handmade Books by Joanne Kluba: Handmade books and boxes made by book artist Joanne Kluba. Products include handmade wedding albums, artist's and photographer's portfolios, custom presentation boxes, limited edition books, custom photo albums, memory boxes, all occasion hand-lettered calligraphy, handcrafted memory albums, Lewis & Clark journals, keepsake boxes, and personalized journals.
- Pat Johns Books: Blank handmade books, journals, guest books, photo albums.Online purchasing and instructions for a pop-up book.
- PenPrints - Book Binding, Conservation, Fine Art: PenPrints is a site offering products of a book nature as well as being a source for obtaining information about the book arts and conservation.
- Peng Peng Wang's Art Conservation/Art Gallery: Art Conservation/Restoration for paintings, paper, books, and photographs in San Francsico Bay Area. Artist's books and fabric art created by Peng Peng Wang.
- Personal Visions: Artists' Books at the Millennium: An Exhibitiion: An exhibition of artists' books from the collection of the University of Delaware's Special Collections Department. The web exhibit mirrors an actual exhibition on view from January 15 until June 9, 2002.
- Pierre Ouvrard Virtual Exhibit and Collection: A site featuring images and information regarding Pierre Ouvrard Master bookbinder's art bindings; including the items at the University of Alberta Bruce Peel Special Collection Library.
- Priscilla Foster Handmade Books: Priscilla Foster Handmade Books handcrafts fine custom scrapbooks, photo albums, wedding albums, baby books, writing journals and other custom albums.
- Richard Kegler Books: The site includes a brief overview of the thousands of blank books and a select few book editions from book artist Richard Kegler.
- Springtide Press: A portfolio of artist's books and fine printing by Jessica Spring including graphic design, letterpress printing and bookbinding.
- Susan Angebranndt Books: Gallery of handbound artist and illustrated books. Many books can be bought online.
- Sutton Hoo Press: A literary fine art press, publishes contemporary literature, poetry and fiction in hand bound, letterpress limited editions.
- Tara Bryan, artist: Artists' books and paintings, as well as CV and contact information.
- The Collector's Guide: Conserving works in paper.
- The Little Farm Press: Miniature books, travel books, etchings, botanical books, illustrated books, copper plate printing, gocco, linocut, watercolors, art. Also has a selection of book arts links.
- The St. John's Bible: Being created by scribes in a scriptorium in Wales, the St. John's Bible will be the first handwritten, illuminated Bible in the modern era.
- Traditional Turkish Marbling (Ebru): Covers the technique and history of traditional Turkish marbling and provides a gallery of samples of the art. Site in English and Turkish.
- Ukulele Books: Ukulele Books features a series of 25 artist books made out of ukuleles by Peter and Donna Thomas
- Venice Paper: A gallery with traditional patterns
- Visual Studies Workshop: Diverse educational program, exhibitions and publishing concerns, encouraging crossovers in visual media. Strong emphases on artists' books, photography and digital media.
- Warren Lehrer: Writer, book artist, and designer, features artists books, plays, audio, reviews and appearance schedules.
This category in other languages: