Search Home : Arts : Movies : Theory and Criticism
- Alliwell That Ends Well: Brief commentary on prominent films of over 100 directors.
- Andre Bazin: An Unofficial Tribute: A tribute to André Bazin, film critic and Cahiers du Cinema co-founder, and spiritual father of the French New Wave movement. Includes text, bibliography, and pictures.
- Brian W. Fairbanks: Reviews and essays on film criticism by the entertainment editor at the Paris Woman Journal.
- Chronicle Of A Passion: Film reviews and commentary by Steve Erickson, with a concentration on foreign film.
- Cinema Review: Essays on film, directors, and genres.
- Cinetext - film & philosophy: Internet forum for cinema studies addressing students, researchers, scholars, and anyone with an interest in the thoughtful exploration of cinema, film, and television.
- Classic Movies-Related Articles: Repository of articles which originally appeared as newsgroup postings but which stand on their own as arguments or elucidations.
- Clio's Eye: Essays by scholars, guests, and students, reviewing and discussing films and other media from an historical perspective.
- Culture Court: A review of film, books, and media arts. Includes features and reviews of selected works.
- Die Critics Die: Dedicated to criticizing renowned film critics. Uses background biographical knowledge on the critics to discredit them.
- EAF: Editorial about Burch's optional representation mode, as well as capsule film reviews.
- Eirik Frisvold Hanssen: A literature review and an essay on the role of color in film.
- Essays on the Craft of Dramatic Writing: Essays that review films from a storytelling point of view.
- Film Club: A `group` whose common goal is to continue learning about how film communicates, using their diverse backgrounds to examine film from as many directions as possible. Articles, essays, and message boards.
- Film Sound Design: Theoretical and practical aspects on narrative sound effects in Film and TV.
- Film Trip: Commentary on various movie genres, along with film recommendations.
- Freeman's Critical Eye: Critical analysis of current and past films, as well as theoretical discussions on cinema.
- Hungry Ghost: Film criticism and journalism by freelance writer David Chute.
- International Federation of Film Critics: Organization with 46 member countries. Includes film news, festival reports, and resources on film criticism.
- Is It A Book: Cinema: A discussion of nonlinear narrative in film.
- Italian Neorealism: A movement characterized by the simple direct depiction of lower-class life. Film analyses, timeline, director filmographies, protagonists, and related links.
- Jeem's CinePad: Film theory, reviews, and critiques laid out in a floor plan of a virtual house.
- Kaleo San Diego: Film & Theology: Examines several mainstream films from a Christian theological perspective.
- Kees Bakker: Texts on fiction and documentary film and television theory.
- Keyframe.org: Attepts to answer the question of whether the digital age is affecting traditional cinema.
- Life: The meaning of life as suggested by motion pictures. A collection of essays on the priorities implied in movies.
- Metaphilm: Reviews films of artistic and independent variety, highlighting content and context. List of films as well as feature articles.
- Movia's: J.R. Via Reviews Films: J.R. Via questions why films are too long and good scripts are too rare.
- Movie 666: Takes tongue in cheek view toward movie criticism and many of the personalities involved in film. Archived articles for each season starting in spring 1999.
- Movie Structure, Myth and Metaphor: Analysis of how the origins of the Hollywood storytelling system lie in the nature of myth and legend.
- No, But I Read The Movie: "Great books into films, or films from great auteurs... film lovers, make up your critical minds!" By Richard C. Walls [Metro Times Detroit].
- Offscreen: Critical essays, articles, and reviews published monthly. Affiliated with a Canadian magazine that is published in French. Includes chronological archives.
- Philosophical Films: Interpretation of films by using philosophical texts and vice versa.
- Recent Movies - Signs of the Future?: The Revelation 13 web site discusses how movies relate to prophecies of world events, and how movies can help us understand the chaotic world events today.
- Senses of Cinema: An online film journal devoted to the serious and eclectic discussion of cinema, of art, independent and experimental cinemas.
- Strictly Film School: An evolving analysis journal of landmark cinema, examining universal themes, symbols and imagery, historical and artistic genres.
- Style and Substance: Critiques, comments and theories on movies.
- Suite101: Films With Social Significance: A detailed look at how several films affect or comment on the values of our society.
- The Image of the Devil in 20th Century Film: Offers an essay which compares the image of the devil in the films Faust, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and The Devil’s Advocate.
- The Living Color: Online journal examines the history and personalities of cult, kitsch, and camp films.
- The Unorthodox Reel: Detailed analyses on a range of topics and films.