Search Home : Arts : Music : History
- Music History Resources: Outlines and timelines on various topics in music history from the Middle Ages to the present.
- Almanac of Classical Music History: Birth and death dates of composers and performers; first performances of famous works.
- Black History and Classical Music: Brief overview and biographical notes about conductors and performers in the classical tradition.
- Classical Musician Recent Deaths: (from 1988 to current)
- Eras Online: Basics about the major periods of classical (art) music, with terms, composers, RAM audio examples, and purchase links. From Essentials of Music, sponsored by Sony Classical and W. W. Norton.
- Finnish Music in a Nutshell: Brief history of classical music in Finland; by Pekka Hako.
- Gallery Music: (Sung by church and chapel "bands" in the UK in the 18th and 19th centuries) Includes articles, sample scores and MIDI files, links, and organizations.
- History in Song: Includes annotated texts about American history, from Revolutionary War songs to 1960's anti-war protests.
- History of Indian Music: Extensive hypertext article by David Courtney.
- Incompetech: Music Styles: Brief, tongue-in-cheek discussion of musical forms.
- International Alliance for Women in Music: Includes chronology, extensive biographies of obscure musicians, MIDI files, discography, bibliography, and resources.
- Jewry in Music: Articles and links about the entry of Jews into the musical professions in Europe in the early nineteenth century.
- Major Musical Periods: Graphic timeline: typical musical forms and styles, major composers, sample MIDI files
- Medieval Music and Arts Foundation: Early Western and traditional non-Western music: Recording suggestions, discussion, articlesl links.
- Music and Chess: An annotated bibliography of musical compositions related to chess.
- Save Our Sounds: Describes a project by the Smithsonian Institution and the Library of Congress to convert important collections of historical recordings to modern formats.
- The History of Czech Music: A brief history of Czech music, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century; Biographies and work of important composers. (Radio Hudba, Czech Republic)
- The Music of Freemasonry: Masonic influences on Classical music, and music in the Lodge: Notes, MIDI samples, and facsimile pages.
- This Day In Music History: Daily listing of what happened on this day; extensive introductory tutorial on music notation. (CD sales: affiliate)
This category in other languages: