Search Home : Arts : Writers Resources : FAQs, Help, and Tutorials
- A Writer's Journey: Motivational articles, writing tips, believable characters/settings/plot.
- A Writer's Tool Kit: A learning `resource` for both aspiring and established writers; a companion forum to the book of the same name by author/teacher Carroll Dale Short.
- A Writers' Community: Free information and software tools.
- A Writing Resource | The Writers Home Instruction Pages: Instruction for all levels; especially for freelancers.
- Advice on Novel Writing: Plain text handouts from a college professor.
- An Editor's Advice on Writing for Teen Literary Magazines: Interview with Deborah Vetter, editor of Cicada magazine, about writing for the teen reader.
- An Insider's Tips about Writing Your Book: Thoughtful questions that book authors need to ask themselves before they put pen to paper.
- Article City: Database of free reprints. This page features writing advice.
- Articles for Writers and Publishers: By Ivan Hoffman, B.A., J.D. Attorney at Law.
- Articles on Writing: Links from SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc.) volunteers. Pointers on manuscript preparation and critiquing. The opinions expressed are those of the authors, and not of SFWA.
- Basic Ideas for Writers: Hundreds of pages that answer questions from starting a manuscript, to selling a book.
- Bethany Roberts' Writing for Children Workshop: Inspirational and instructional writing tips, articles, FAQs, quotes, resources, recommended books, and a directory of children's book authors and illustrators.
- Book Publishing FAQ: About agents, publishers, deals, and proposals.
- BookCoach.net: Offers support, encouragement and assistance through the book-writing process to produce a first-class work.
- BookZonePro: Info and Insights: How-to articles that cover a wide variety of issues relevant to writers including book publishing, writing, marketing, and legal issues.
- C. Johnson Enterprises Ltd.: Tips on how to write, publish, sell, and market a book. Products and marketing services are also available from C. Johnson, for a fee.
- CIO Bookmark: Page of links to electronic and print resources for journalists and other writers.
- Careers in Writing: Advice, tips, articles and other resources for the beginning writer.
- Chronicles Writers' Resource Center: Helpful articles and links from an internet writer about writing and promoting ebooks.
- Coaching for Writers-Maggie Klee Lichtenberg: With 20 years of publishing experience; helps any author or publisher see their work through to completion and distribution.
- Common Mistakes in Manuscripts: Tips by Gerald Gross, a "book doctor" whose clients are primarily agents and publishers.
- Content Editing: Archive of articles about writing, publishing and content management on the web.
- Dissertation Workshop: Helps with dissertation blocks and procrastination difficulties.
- Eire Fury's Sanctuary: A writer's website offering tips and resources for writers. Site is also accepting writer's submissions in all genres and types.
- Erica Jong's Tips for Writers: Weekly bits of advice.
- Fear of Writing: Inspirational article which suggests that suffering will make our work real, thereby giving it depth and integrity.
- Five Golden Rules for Beginning Writers: Lisa Cote explains the top rules for writers that are just getting started.
- Free Articles for Writers: Most are available as .PDF files which needs Adobe Acrobat. Subjects include writing online, query letters, bios, literary agents, and editors.
- Funds for Writers: Sources of grants, fellowships, contests, awards, markets and nonprofit partners.
- Get Into It: Deals specifically with writer's block. Includes advice, resources, exercises.
- Getting Published: Creating manuscripts that sell. Definable characteristics that capture an editor's attention.
- Getting Published in America: Inspirational article for the new millennium.
- Getting the Right Agent: Informational article from Sarah Smith, Sisters in Crime.
- Grammar Lessons: Starts with remedial lessons and expands to other sites.
- Grey Owl Tutor: Download general, technical, and academic writing tips and advice.
- Harold Underdown's Frequently Asked Questions File: General questions about children's books, writing, and publishing. Copyright 1996-2000 Harold D. Underdown.
- Hearing Impairment and Writing - Suite101.com: Inspirational article on writing stories, even while coping with a disability. Although it can affect a person's self-esteem, it doesn't stop imagination or prevent successful completion of tasks. One writer's voice being heard with the written word.
- Hot Text: Web Writing That Works: Articles from trainer-writer team Jonathan and Lisa Price. Incorporating research on usability, readability, reading comprehension, and writing methods.
- How to Get Happily Published: Sensible solutions to get books into the hands of readers.
- How to Reach Writing Success: Collection of links to articles that give free advice on getting published and making a living as a writer. From Marcia Yudkin, author, syndicated columnist, public radio commentator, and writing coach.
- How to Tell if a New or Small Press is Legitimate: Ways to check out a publisher before signing a contract.
- How to Write a Book and Get it Published in Record Time: ETA Online Review resources for authors and writers, tips from one of the Education and Training Academy's writers.
- How to Write a Critique of a Novel: Walk through the steps required to write a novel critique.
- How to Write a Research Paper: Research Paper Topics, Help, Ideas - LibrarySpot.com Feature: Step-by-step help for writing a research paper from LibrarySpot.com.
- IbizWriters: Archive of resources, advice and commentary aimed at those who write as part of their job, whether journalism, business publications, advertising copy or website content. No longer actively publishing.
- Ink: Lists, articles, tips, and links to tips for ink-on-paper writing, vs. e-writing. Opinions are those of The Fontayne Group's writers.
- Internet Resources for Writers: Focuses on additional ways for writers to earn money; ideas are not specific only to writers, however.
- Ivan Hoffman, Attorney at Law: Internet and Intellectual Property. Articles discuss writers' legal issues and publishing on the Net.
- Judy Reeves: Free writing prompts, how to work in a writing group, writing practice importance, writer inspiration, senses, attracting the muse, revisions, writers' guidelines, taking risks, help for the writer.
- Karen Mitura: FAQ with information about ghost writing from a ghost writer.
- Make Yourself Irresistible to any Agent or Publisher: Essay about getting an agent or publisher; for new writers.
- Margot's Writers' Resources: Links to resources/information for writers and publishers, free-to-use articles by Margot B, writers' and publishers' forum, guest writers.
- Marketing and Self-Promotion: Twilight Times - Astrid Cooper.
- Meghan McCarthy - articles page: A section devoted to authors and illustrators - with publishing advice, writing tips, and author interviews.
- Monica Wood- Tips for Writers: Monica Wood is a novelist and short-story writer who teaches fiction workshops. This page of her website is updated monthly. The rest of the site is primarily hype for her books.
- Nonfiction, Novels, Screenplays, Business Writing: Publishing tips for nonfiction books, novels, screenplays, business writing.
- Polishing Your Writing: Tips on fine-tuning a rough draft into a professional piece.
- Publishing in the Northwest: A collection of resources for publishing non-fiction in the Northwest, with descriptions of small publishers. From Open Spaces Quarterly.
- Ray's Writing Tips: Links to search engines and Ray's software. Some essays and tips can be found by clicking the links to the left and scrolling down a couple of times.
- Revising Prose: Suggestions, with good and bad examples of each.
- Ruth Vilmi's Web World: Grammar / Language help. These pages are full of comprehensive tips to help the writer, but visitors do need to surf and explore to find everything offered. The time is well spent.
- Sheree Bykofsky Associates, Inc. Literary Agency: Represents all areas of non-fiction, and commercial and literary fiction. Offers guidance on the publishing process, book proposals, and finding agents.
- Starving Artists Law: Launch pad for artists and writers looking for self help legal information. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Free or low-fee representation for low-income writers, only US lawyers are listed here.
- Storymind Writer's Web Site: Promoting Dramatica story development software; however, there are some useful tips, advice and tutorials presented by the theory co-creator. Free Real Video and Real Audio writing classes, complete 450 page Dramatica theory book online, Dramatica Dictionary, Q and A, the Lost Theory Book, and classes.
- Suite 101: Alternative Literature: Articles which help define alternative literature. Different because of the way it is published, the view it expresses, how it is written or distributed. Different perspective or style. Alternative writers are the ones trying new styles and forms.
- Suite 101: Freelance Opportunities: Archive of tips on marketing your talents and what kind of opportunities should be avoided.
- Suite101: Professional Writing: Tips for writers on how to get published, including how to write in many different disciplines (articles, poems, prose, fiction, non-fictions, screenplay).
- The Booksmith Manuscript Consultation: Award-winning novelist and short-story writer provides detailed critiques and helpful advice on book-length works of literary fiction and nonfiction, for a fee.
- The Creative Cauldron: Articles and links to publishers, artists, conferences, classes and other creative places.
- The Editorial Department: Service site that includes writing tips and links to other resources.
- The Fearless Publishing Guide: A free overview of the main routes to publication, mainstream and alternative, with many helpful links.
- The Fine Line: Occasionally-published author Jenn Thorson shares writing tips, observations, discoveries, online resources, and humor.
- The Pen and Sword: A tidy collection of tips, help, quotes, inspiration and advice, beginning with overcoming writer's block.
- The Vocabula Review (TVR): Monthly, free journal. Articles discuss how to battle nonstandard, careless English and embrace clear, expressive English.
- The Writing Process - from Idea to Bookshelf: Series of articles intended to motivate and help the beginner get started.
- Tips, Tools and Ideas to Improve Writing: Includes tips for writers and students, grammar helps, and a guide to online resources.
- Victory Page for Writers of Fiction: Original articles by Victory Crayne. Links to resources, search tools and motivational articles.
- Wacky Writer's World: A list of links along with a monthly newsletter which provides in-depth feature articles, interviews with publishing professionals and authors, and market tips. Page was last updated 5/5/99.
- What do Publishers do?: Excerpt from pages 5-29 of Getting It Published: A Guide for Scholars and Anyone Else Serious about Serious Books, by William Germano.
- William Safire's Rules for Writers: Witty tips.
- Women Writers Block: Selection of articles to be a writers aide.
- Wordwrights Canada: Literary Editing and Publishing: Wordwrights Canada also helps with student resources, and links. For the Canadian writer.
- Write To Inspire: Resources for inspirational and Christian writers offering articles, writing tips, and markets.
- Write Tools: A practical, categorized compilation of Web-based references for anyone who writes, edits, or checks facts.
- Write101.com: Articles, workshops and writing advice for a variety of genres. A free weekly writing tips newsletter.
- Writer Beware: Variety of articles on literary schemes and deceptions, information on how to recognize them, advice on how to avoid them, and links to useful online resources.
- Writer's Block: Basic steps to clustering, free-writing and revising.
- Writer's Universe: Newsletter, tips, interactive story.
- Writers Heaven: Resource for novelists and scriptwriters.
- Writers R Us: Some writing tips and links. Site also publishes writing.
- Writing Advice: From Dan Perez, writer and editor. Articles about agents, short story contracts, writer's groups, and discipline.
- Writing Help Central: Offers tips, advice, and real-life samples on writing business letters and research papers; links.
- Writing Tips: A collection of tips on writing (focusing on mysteries and SF) including a simple, mechanical way to develop a plot by Sarah Smith.
- Writing Tips Depot: Clause for Alarm: Advice about publishing contracts. Scroll to bottom of page for links to other tips and resources. By Syneca Featherstone.
- Writing Tips Online: Writing and publishing tips and articles.
- Writing Tips for Success: Author and success coach, Kathy Sanborn, provides articles with tips and popular author interviews.
- Writing Tips, How-Tos: Knowledge Hound. Links to how-to guides, tutorials and tips on novels, plot, poetry, fiction, non-fiction, screenwriting, comics, business and research writing.
- Writing for a Book Packager: How to cash in on an under-exploited market. The editor of The Buzz On series reveals how to find work (and lots of it) at book packagers.
- Writing for the Web: Research on how users read on the Web and how authors should write their Web pages. Mainly based on studies by John Morkes and Jakob Nielsen. Includes links to other resources on the subject.
- Writing for the Web: Article containing guidelines and tips for writing articles, tutorials, white or green papers, online magazines, corporate and educational Web sites. From Web Developers Virtual Library.
- Writing in Flow: Contains pages of excerpts from Los Angeles Times Bestseller, Writing in Flow. Also links to other sources.
- Writing in the Age of the Network: Text of ideas about authoring in an age of multi-media: the computer's effect, the book as a media space, and an invitation to respond.
- WritingWriters: Hints and tips for creative writers.
- writingrooms: Tips, articles, how-to, and insight on the novel writing process along links from a published fiction writer.