Search Home : Arts : Writers Resources : Software
- 123Ezine: Newsletter software. Create a newsletter template, any newsletter design or format, text or web. Creates and manages back issues and automates uploading to your site.
- AcroWizard: AcroWizard can create a database and table of acronyms from your document in about 10 seconds. Free trial version offered.
- Ars Lexis Software: Expandable and adaptable dictionary and thesaurus designed for use on Palm-platform handheld devices. While comprehensive (the base dictionary has 122,000 words defined) the programs are memory-efficient.
- Ashleywilde Publishers: Plots Unlimited, software program that helps fiction writers generate solidly constructed story plots and outlines.
- Autobiography Software Program: Oral histories, life stories, family histories written and preserved using a word processor. Creates a family heirloom document.
- Biography Software Corporation: The personal author system combines biography and genealogy research tools along with biography writing and publishing tools.
- Character Pro for Writers 2.0: A creative writing tool designed to help writers create great story characters. Newsletter available.
- Clip Words: Search, edit, combine, or cut and paste entries and move them into any Windows or Mac software application. From Epigraphics.
- EaZy Paper: Formats your new and existing papers in the Turabian and Chicago Manual of Style formats.
- Editor Software: StyleWriter, the plain English editor. The Electronic Writing Course and an Electronic House Style. Information and advice on writing in plain language plus a free trial of StyleWriter software.
- Final Draft/AV: A formatted word processor specifically intended for writing video scripts -- whether feature programming, advertisements, or documentaries. The basic format is two columns: audio in one panel and video in the other.
- FlashLog: A web-based application that automatically publishes, designs, and distributes customized opt-in newsletters, ezines, web content, and targeted email marketing campaigns for writers, publishers and original content owners.
- GRiM Software's Musings: A tip-of-the-day style program that presents the user with inspirational quotes about writing, as well as creative writing exercises to awaken the muse within. Can be downloaded from this site.
- Great Dialogue Software: Shows how to write dialogue, whether comic or dramatic. Gives techniques, and examples.
- Hi-Note: Outline and brainstorm on the go. Create notes and subnotes, similar to topics and sub-topics used in other programs, on your Palm Pilot. Easily incorporates graphics as well as text.
- Idea Fisher: Idea-generating tools and techniques for business and creative writers.
- Idea Tracker: An easy, customizable and effective method to organize, sort, filter, and print your ideas, thoughts and/ or notes.
- Intellectus Enterprises: Products for organizing ideas, thoughts and notes. Free trial available. [Windows only]
- Manuscript Studio: Technology for writers publishing their own work or presenting a finished manuscript to publishers, periodicals and agents.
- MasterFreelancer: Web store for writers and creative professionals.
- Mindola Software: Miss Lonelynotes helps manage writing projects using a simulation of 3x5 note cards. Includes character tracking and plot references. Windows SP/200 and Mac OS X Panther.
- New Novelist.com: Software to help experienced and novice writers complete a novel.
- NoTypos.com: Medical spell check software for MS Word and Corel WordPerfect. For transcription, notes, reports, and anything medical. Free trial version.
- Power Structure: Provides several different views allowing the writer to organize and study his work from the perspective of plot, character, and other customizable settings.
- RhymeZone: Online rhyming dictionary and thesaurus.
- RoughDraft: Freeware word processor. It has features specifically designed for writers of novels, short stories, articles, poetry, plays and screenplays.
- Self-Publishers Affordable System: Explains the home based publishing system which allows everyone to produce their own professional book inexpensively and in any number they want. Sample books on display.
- Spacejock Software: Free software designed to help authors put together the snippets, outlines, fragments and chapters that go into a finished novel. Same site has a freeware submission tracker too.
- StoryCraft Writer's Software: Story development software. Also online writer's courses in novel and screenwriting.
- StyleEase: From Guilford Publications. Formats text and pops in references in MLA style. For term papers, journal articles, theses, and dissertations.
- Textalyser: An online service that allows entry of text or a website. Displays readability analysis, including reading level, sentence length and word counts.
- The Sandbaggers: Automated manuscript management software for DOS.
- The Working Writer: Software that tracks the business of freelance writing from query letter to paycheck.
- The WritePro Corporation: Free professional advice and resources for writers, fiction and nonfiction. Free creative writing tutorial software.
- The Writer's Organizer: Track writing submissions, brainstorm, design characters and build worlds.
- The Writers Store: For screenwriting software, creative writing, TV movie script and screenplay production software.
- Warefore: For the professional writer.
- Willow Tea: For and about writers, with book recommendations, software, and suggestions to improve writing. Submissions are accepted, upon approval, for inclusion and representation of good writing.
- WordCounter: Ranks the most frequently used words in any given body of text. Use it to find keywords, or just to see what words you overuse. Free to use online, not a download.
- WordDog Plain English Editor: Searches Word documents for wordy phrases, redundancies, ambiguous words, outworn expressions, formal language, cliches, and suggests crisp, clear plain language alternatives that everyone can understand.
- WordWeb Pro: Find words and make anagrams with this powerful thesaurus/ dictionary software.
- WriteExpress Corporation: Writing tools for amateurs and professionals.
- WriteItNow: Write and store complete novels. Keeps track of characters, events, locations, and ideas. Provides timeline charts, spell checker and manuscript submission tracker. PC and Macintosh computers.
- WriteThis: Small freeware tool for writers. Generates writing exercises, based on a set of keywords and criteria.
- Writer's Blocks: Screenplay outlining program that duplicates the popular index card system on your PC. From Ashley Software.
- Writer's Desk: A personal online workspace for writers to develop and track both creative and business efforts and goals.
- Writer's Software Companion: Multimedia learning software for creative writers.
- Writer's Software Ranked: Listing different types of writer's software.
- Writing Help Tools: Reviews of writing tools on the Net for letter writing, resume writing, business writing, and general writing.
- Xerotron: Software to aid in generating new ideas. Ideal for inventors, teachers, writers, students or anyone with an active, creative mind searching for new ideas. Built-in dictionary-thesaurus.
- Z-Write: A smart word processor that makes organizing text a breeze. Create sections in the lefthand frame, enter the text in the full-size page area on the right. Navigate through large documents by inserting named bookmarks via the utilities menu.
- eMediaAdmin: Software for publishing online magazines and newspapers. Creates article webpages, table of contents and chronological archive webpages using customizable templates.
- eZine Assistant: A free application that manages and formats eZines and email newsletters.