Search Home : Arts : Writers Resources : Workshops and Courses
- International Women's Writing Guild: Non-profit organization for the empowerment of women through writing. Site provides details of regional workshops and a wealth of useful information about services and benefits available to IWWG members. No portfolio is required.
- Alicia Hilton: Former FBI agent, attorney, and author, offering writing workshops and consulting services.
- Associated Writing Programs: AWP is a nonprofit service organization for writers. Hosts annual writing conference and many activities for writers. Site includes articles, career resources, literary links, and a wealth of information.
- Bay Area Fiction Workshop: Fiction writing workshops in the San Francisco area. May provide a model for setting up workshops in other communities. Includes characterization, dialogue, and point of view.
- Better Writing Skills: Offers downloadable book, Better Writing Skills, to help with business, thesis, technical and creative writing.
- Boston Screenwriting Workshop: Boston Screenwriting Workshop provides classes for beginning to professional screenwriters in the New England area. Targets writers who are "serious about writing and can't go to UCLA or NYU Film School."
- CGU Writing Center: The Claremont Graduate University Writing Center offers an active online writing `resource` for graduate level students. Offers transdisciplinary programs that encourage collaboration and communication. The goal is to help students negotiate the challenges of graduate level writing while encouraging them to develop their own critical voices and editorial skills.
- CalArts MFA in Writing: The CalArts Writing MFA is neither a "creative" nor a "critical" writing program -- instead it attempts to question and provoke the mutations that occur in forms and styles of writing and reading.
- Centauri Arts Summer Writing Retreat: Short residential courses in Creative Writing, located in Bethany, Ontario.
- Clarity Works Writing Classes and Coaching: Writing teacher helps each student free her or his writing voice. In this container - whether it's a class, workshop, retreat or individual session - each person feels nurtured and safe, allowing her to risk revealing the complexity and fullness of her experience-her story. Held in Asheville, North Carolina plus online.
- ClearWriter: An online system of tools, training, and resources that improve business and professional writing. Offers 12 hours of training. Aids with structure, clarity, conciseness, and precision.
- Coffeehouse for Writers Online Workshops: Online workshops for writers featuring personal interaction with your instructor and classmates to help you discover your writing potential, feedback, motivation, inspiration, and advice from your peers.
- Create a Kids' Book: Delightful website for writers of children's books. Holds regular monthly workshops in Victoria, Australia. Also offers manuscript assessment service for children's books.
- Creative Writing Class: This Creative Writing Lesson deals with Writer's Block and how to get rid of it. Offers several resources on freelance writing.
- Creative Writing Programs at Bowling Green State University: One of the oldest established programs in the country, Creative Writing at Bowling Green State University offers both BFA and MFA degrees and has an outstanding record of graduate success in publication and career preparation.
- Creative writing courses: Creative writing courses for aspiring writers including residential weekend courses in picturesque Devon UK.
- Creative writing practice courses: Nita Sweeney offers classes in Columbus, Ohio, based on many years of study with best-selling auther, Natalie Goldberg.
- Creativity Workshop: Helps develop the creative process through memoir, creative writing, visual arts and storytelling exercises. Helps to expand perception and find ways of looking at one's life and work as exciting and transformative.
- Cynthia Gallaher's Creative Writing Workshops: Trainer's page offers workshops at Midwestern library, school or arts organizations. Includes poetry writing, journal writing, nature writing, and children's workshops.
- Dorian Haarhoff, Writer: "We called him Tortoise, because he taught us," they said. Dr. Haarhoff teaches wholistically with courses that suit corporate clients and individuals. Available for settings throughout South Africa.
- Eagle Productions Creative Writing Course: Entertaining lessons by New Zealand writer Craig Lock. Two free lessons and lessons for sale regarding articles, poetry, short stories, novels, autobiographies and books.
- Editing International, LLC: Exceptionally active series of "Passport Seminars" (in US and British Columbia) covering editing/revision, marketing, fiction and nonfiction craft, planning, brainstorminbg, and the writer's life.
- Field's End: Field's End is a writers' community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, offering workshops, lectures, and courses for literary writers. Field's End exists to inspire writers and nurture the written word through instruction in the art and craft of writing.
- Find Your Mission in Life Workshop & Conference: Specializing in self-actualization and meditation, this site includes writing therapy: journaling and creative writing.
- Fire in the Head creative writing programme: Creative writing courses in picturesque UK countryside. Features the idea of 'whole person' writing, with emphasis on the imagination and creative expression. Students are encouraged to be "literary pyromaniacs" - finding ways to kindle fire and write the blazing results as story or poetry.
- Fishtrap: Fishtrap promotes clear thinking and good writing in and about the west through year round workshops, gatherings and writers' retreats.
- Freelance Editing and Proofreading Courses: Freelancers offers a course in freelance writing. The course includes: concepts of editing and proofreading, style, layout, spellings, common mistakes, etc. Also includes a Santorini, a short manuscript as you would see it after it has been copyedited.
- Glencoe Online Writers Choice: Web site hosted by national educational publisher providing writing assessment and evaluation models, lesson plans, annotated writing models, interactive quizzes, study guides, and practice in proofreading, spelling, grammar, vocabulary.
- Gotham Writers' Workshop: Creative writing classes offered online and in NYC in writing fiction, screenplays, nonfiction, poetry, memoirs, novels, mysteries, romances, TV sitcoms, children's books, science fiction, and writing for business.
- Herstory Writers Workshop: A nonprofit memoir writing project for women. Begun in 1996 as a community memoir writing project for women, Herstory reaches out to give narrative tools to women who might not ordinarily have access to high quality writing instruction. Partially tuition based and partially publicly funded, it is dedicated to women who feel they have stories to tell.
- How to Write Well: Interesting collection of links and services for writers. Offers a home study course on writing.
- In Her Own Write: Pamela Garrett provides writing services for a fee, as well as limited writer resources. Pamela has researched, developed, and written materials for public relations and public information, marketing and advertising, education and training, fund raising, political campaigns, and the high-technology industry.
- Inkberry: Offers writing workshops in-house and online, manuscript critique, a reading series, and online writing resources including discussion forums and generative exercises.
- Institute for Excellence in Writing: This unique site offers resources for writing teachers and home schooling parents who are teaching students to write outside the institutional setting.
- Intuitive Voice Creative Writing Workshops: Innovative workshops to help writers find their authentic voices, hone craft, and create with ease. Supportive online coaching is also available.
- Julie H. Ferguson: An author presents workshops that provide aspiring authors with the knowledge, skills and confidence to get published.
- LEARNEX Essentials of Clear Writing: Writing workshops and courses designed for managers, supervisors, professionals and administrative staff.
- LR Communication Systems, Inc.: Writing courses and seminars, technical writing programs, presentation skills training with online, on-site, self-study, and correspondence options. Focus on business communications.
- Liberato: Writing courses and critique service for all writers.
- London School of Journalism Distance learning courses: The LSJ offers fiction writing courses, news journalism courses and freelance journalism courses by distance learning. Also offered are courses for short story writing, thriller writing, cartooning and English for business. Established in 1920, LSJ has an international reputation for excellence.
- Lynn Staudacher - Paths To Awareness: Pathways to explore deep within the individual and the collective creative process. Programs offered: Cosmic Footprints, Wanna Write, Trance Formations.
- McCloskey Writing Consultants:business and legal writing: Tools to achieve highest standards of professional writing, both in law and in business.
- Midwest Writers Workshop: Our 27th summer workshop from July 27-29 for aspiring and accomplished writers features sessions on mystery, romance, children's, poetry, fiction, non-fiction. Richard Lederer, keynoter.
- Monte Sol Workshop: Summer writing workshop for high school students in Santa Fe, NM.
- Mother Wit - Colleen Anderson - Writing - Workshops - Music - Graphics: Workshops in poetry, short story, essay, and songwriting.
- Murawski Group: On-site training in business writing.
- Nightwriter - Writer's Workshop for Writer's Workshop Retreats: A Writer's Workshop for Creative Writers. Includes a residential program with cottage and an interesting newsletter.
- Novelist's Workshop: British page with links to other interesting sites, discussion groups, research material, and advice for troubleshooting with publishers and agents.
- Online Certificate in Technical Writing: Earn an Online Certificate in Technical Writing.
- Online Writing Courses - Continuing Educ. Dept., Earthnet Institute: Online courses taught by experienced professionals: Magazine Writing, Short Fiction, Poetry, Life Story, Travel, Screenwriting, Creative Training, Editing, Technical, and Grantwriting.
- Optimal Marketing Communications: Tips on how to write more concisely and crisply. Learn to eliminate errors and communicate more effectively with your intended audience.
- Original Impulse: Helps writers develop discipline, balance and structure in life and writing.
- Outrider Press, Inc.: Provides writing instruction and publishes annual anthology in affiliation with TallGrass Writers Guild, a non-profit writers organization/resource.
- ParagraphPunch.com: An on-line writing tutorial. This site takes users through the actual steps of writing a paragraph. Supplementary information also included.
- Pen INC: Critique forum for writers, with archive of submissions.
- Performance Learning Strategies: Customized workshops to help adults read, write and think more efficiently and effectively.
- Professional Writing Skills: Professional writing skills, communication skills, speaking skills, English grammar, writing skills - seminars and workshops in indianapolis indiana.
- Proofread.com: Dedicated to writing better at work, proofread.com provides free writing resources. Our corporate seminar, Write Better at Work, is the best training of its kind.
- Publishing Secrets Revealed - free seminars: Learn about contracts, royalties, copyright, e-books, and printing costs.
- Quest Writing Lab: Provides individualized writing instruction and tutorial assistance in grammar, composition, and other aspects of writing. Especially useful in writing mechanics.
- Rabbit Hill Writers Online: Online writing workshops for beginning and intermediate writers of short fiction, creative nonfiction, the novel, screenwriting, and memoirs.
- Red Rose Writing: Copywriting, creative and technical writing workshops, seminars, and training. Lessons from Sallianne Norelli (copywriter and children’s book author).
- Red Writing: Learn poetry lingo and submit a piece or critique to our online workshop. Open to fiction, non-fiction, free-verse poetry, or formed.
- School for Champions: An e-Learning site that provides free online lessons, character-building messages, and techniques to excel in school, work and life. Various articles on preparing technical documentation, and tools usage.
- Self Publishing Courses: This workshop explains self-publishing process, costs and manuscript requirements.
- Shaw Guide to Writers Conferences and Workshops: Detailed descriptions of hundreds of writing conferences, seminars and workshops worldwide. Searchable by state, country, specialty, keyword. Includes calendar of upcoming programs.
- Spring Time Writers - Tips, Exercises and Workshops: Serene Rocky Mountains retreat with professional, personal writing instruction. Monthly free tips and exercises. Monthly newsletter delivers even more to your site. 4-day and week long workshops. Contest.
- StoryStudio Chicago: Writing and related arts center in Chicago offering creative writing classes, customized workshops for businesses, individual instruction and writing coaching.
- Storyarts Writing Workshop: An interactive writing workshop for beginners and intermediate fiction and nonfiction writers.
- Suite 101: Writing and Publishing courses: This online university offers more than 200 continuing education courses in 18 different schools.
- TV Writer.com: Television writing explained by award winning writer/producer Larry Brody.
- Technical Writing Tests: Tests that can be used to evaluates the skills of prospective technical writers.
- The American University of Paris Online Writing Lab: Active and useful online writing lab offering resources on grammar, essays, summaries, research papers, MLA style, Turabian style, quotations, plagiarism, and cover letters.
- The Attic: The attic is a unique writer's workshop (and haven) in Portland. Visit to read about workshops and enjoy the atmosphere in this writing community.
- The Creative Project Institute: Workshops for writers focusing on completing a manuscript.
- The Internet Writing Workshop: Join various mailing list workshops such as poetry, fiction, flash fiction, romance, novels, and non-fiction. Post and receive critiques of work, plus critique other works. Discuss the finer points of writing.
- The Jewish Writing Institute: Non-profit organization offering email courses for Jewish writers including journalism, memoir, fiction, grant writing, publishing and poetry. Courses are interactive and fee based. Editing and critique service also offered.
- The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing: Comprehensive but concise, practical and example-filled, award-winning guide to writing college essays. Free.
- The Red Room Writers Society: Writing program that blasts through writer's block in a historic San Francisco mansion. Fiction, memoir, and screenplays.
- The Write Coach: Coaching and workshops to increase motivation, release blocks, build confidence, increase creativity and assist both professional and aspiring writers to become more successful.
- The Writer's Course: Freelancer offers a variety of correspondence courses on writing: freelancing, nonfictionb fiction, query letters, plotting, editing and critiquing.
- The Writers Studio: A 15-year old writing school located in New York City offering continuous 10-week beginning and advanced workshops in Fiction and Poetry, online classes, and private tutorials.
- The Writers Workshop: Online and oncampus writing program specializing in creative nonfiction, narrative nonfiction, literary journalism, nonfiction books, memoir and short stories.
- The Writers' Workshop, Asheville NC: The Writers' Workshop offers year-round classes in fiction, poetry, nonfiction, journalism, and screenwriting.
- The Writing Academy: Christian writers school with correspondence courses aimed at improving written communications.
- The Writing Salon: Year-round school of creative writing classes located in San Francisco's Bernal Heights. Fiction, poetry, personal essays, memoirs, screenwriting, playwriting, and magazine writing. Nine and five-week courses; also one-day workshops.
- The Writing School: The Myth Breakers school teaches writing by home-based curriculum. Geared for those who wish to write copy for selling or promoting goods or services.
- The Writing School at Quality of Course Inc.: Writing courses by correspondence. Teaches short story, article, memoir, and business communications. Learn to write with interactive help from professionals.
- The Writing Solution, Inc.: Instructional design and training development services for businesses and corporations. Writer's coach service to assist technical or web writers in developing clear communications.
- The Writing Space: The Writing Space was founded in Toronto in 1990 as a small press and writers' organization. Workshops are available from The School of the Writing Space. Publications include fiction, poetry, non-fiction, interviews and a twice-yearly literary journal
- Timepieces Personal Biographies-Learn how to write Family History Biographies: TimePieces personal biographies offers your personal family history in a published book written by a talented professional writer and seminars on how to do it yourself.
- Today's Writer.com: Offers online classes for writers. Discussions are held twice a week for ten weeks in assigned chatrooms. Students can post their work in classroom message boards to get peer feedback.
- Under the Volcano: One-week retreats in legendary Mexican village for writers of fiction and literary non-fiction.
- Virtual Writer: Publish poetry, drama, fiction, non-fiction and reviews. Comprehensive information on writing related courses, careers, competitions, events, and reviews. Interactive features include a bulletin board, chat, and online workshops.
- Write On Maui: Classes on Maui are offered to small groups of writers.
- Write What You Know: Licensed social worker offers help to writers via phone and telecourses. A unique approach to writer's needs.
- WriteDirections: Teleclasses, publications, and coaching help writers jump-start and complete their books and articles. Free weekly newsletters, tips, and resources. Fiction, nonfiction, business writing, networking, writer's block.
- WriteLines: Located ten miles north of Boston. Offers creative writing workshops, retreats and seminars.
- Writer's Best Friend: A proofreading service to help students polish writing before submitting it for a grade or review.
- Writers Bureau: First-class home-study creative writing course from professional writers. Earn while you learn. Full refund guarantee if not successful.
- Writers Retreats: Colorado and Mexico: The Writers' retreat offers a broad spectrum of coursework and literary services and provides short residency workshops.
- Writers in the Mountains: Local writers `group` in the Western Catskills (Delware County, New York). Workshops include Journal, Fiction, Poetry, Play-writing, as well as advanced workshops where manuscripts are critiqued.
- Writers' Helper.Org - Online Writers' Classes: Nonprofit organization dedicated to the Christian writer: free resources, online classes with published Christian authors.
- Writers' Village University: International on-line writers `group` with an emphasis on education. Over 130 fiction, non-fiction and poetry writing courses and workshops are available to members. Other features include e-zine, weekly chats, discussion forums and live site guides. New members are welcome.
- WritersOnlineWorkshops: From Writer's Digest, offering interactive, instructor-led online creative writing courses in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and memoir writing.
- Writing Assessment Services: Online courses, email tutorials, and writing evaluations for homeschoolers, professionals, and anyone else who wants to improve his writing.
- Writing Bliss: Site features e-mail courses and workshops for writers.
- Writing Classes: Writing-Classes.Net: Classes on craft of magazine writing, how to write your life story, or how to become a travel writer.
- Writing Coach - Dr. Cindy Shearer: The Art of Writing - How to Write Fiction - Creating Non-fiction stories. Writing Coach for Screenplays - Writing Book Proposals - Business Writing Coach
- Writing Unlimited: An on-line course to teach basic through advanced English writing skills to all ages, focusing on learning to write essays. Grammar and vocabulary are taught in each unit covering a variety of writing types.
- Writing the Information Superhighway: Links and resources for attendees of writing seminar and visitors to this website.
- Writing, Speaking and Reading in the Corporate World: How to improve your business writing & reading Skills. Uses workbook and on-line courses.
- WritingDEN: Interactive site created to help students improve English reading, writing and listening skills.
- Xebra Online Writing Workshop: Post your stories, poetry, essays, or anything else you're working on. Free feedback.
- Young Writers Workshop: Workshop on using informal, playful expressive writing as a way to strengthen skills of language and thinking.
- elitelit: Focuses on workshops but also offers exercises, a monthly article, and a story starter tool "based on the creativity technique called "random input."