Search Home : Computers : Security : Malicious Software : Viruses
- McAfee Virus Information: Virus alerts, mailing list, and searchable descriptions of common viruses.
- Symantec AntiVirus Research Center: Virus Encyclopedia site maintained by Symantec, makers of the popular Norton AntiVirus product.
- #hackfix project - software configuration guides: Configuration guides for many popular antivirus and antitrojan packages
- Anti-virus HelpGuide: Information on the latest viruses, hoaxes, anti-virus software, updates and cleaning tools.
- Antivirus World: Antivirus news, information, online tests, and useful downloads.
- AskMen.com - How To: Keep Your Computer Virus-Free: Article with basic advice on virus prevention, and a primer on computer virus terminology.
- Burton Systems Software - Virus Avoidance Advice: Advice for avoiding and recovering from computer virus infections, mostly for users of Microsoft Windows. Includes links to free tools and other resources.
- BusinessWeek Online - Mydoom's Most Damning Dynamic: Points out that Mydoom was so damaging only because so many individual net users were so unprotected despite education efforts that apparently do not have any significant effect on user behavior.
- CIAC Virus Database: No longer actively maintained. Detailed information on a number of older computer viruses, particularly for more obscure platforms.
- Computer Associates Virus Encyclopedia: Computer Associates alphabetical virus database. Searchable with clear descriptions of common viruses.
- Computer Associates Virus Information Center: Virus information from makers of e-Trust Antivirus (formerly known as InoculateIT).
- Computer Virus Myths: The canonical reference for computer virus myths, hoaxes, and urban legends.
- Computer Viruses In Unix Networks: Paper which examines in detail the problem of computer viruses as they relate to Unix and Unix-like systems.
- Doug Muth's Anti-Virus Help Page: Independent site with extensive FAQs, papers, and other antivirus resources.
- EICAR test file: Provides a standardized test file for signature based virus detection software. This file can be used to verify the correct operation of antivirus software without unnecessary exposure to viruses.
- European Institute for Computer Anti-Virus Research (EICAR): Combines universities, industry, media, technical, security, and legal experts from civil and military government and law enforcement as well as privacy protection organizations whose objectives are to unite non-commercial efforts against writing and proliferation of malicious code like computer viruses or Trojan Horses, and against computer crime and fraud.
- Examples of Malicious Computer Programs: Long essay that describes harm done by major computer viruses or worms, and discusses the nonexistent or lenient punishment for the authors or distributors of these malicious programs.
- F-Secure Virus Information Centre: A searchable database of virus descriptions, from the provider of F-Secure range of anti-virus software.
- Fire Antivirus Kit - Virus Information Library: Provides detailed information on viruses
- History of Computer Viruses: A technically oriented history of computer viruses by Robert M. Slade.
- How Stuff Works: Computer Virus: Multipart tutorial describes how computer viruses work.
- IBM's Antivirus Research: News and information about virus prevention, the latest in IBM's research, virus alerts, and lists of the latest hoaxes and hype.
- Lets have fun with EICAR: Article showing how to test the effectiveness of anti-virus heuristics using modifications of the EICAR test file.
- Panda Software Virus Laboratory: Up to date and in-depth descriptions of the most common viruses by Panda Software, makers of Panda Antivirus Platinum.
- Personal Home Page - Gordon, Sarah: Various papers on computer viruses, computer security, and ethics.
- Personal Home Page - Harrold, Robert: Massive collection of antivirus links and news.
- Personal Home Page - Szor, Peter: Research papers on computer viruses written by Peter Szor. The site covers Windows viruses and worms and the development of polymorphic and metamorphic viruses.
- Personal Home page - Ferrie, Peter: Various research papers on computer viruses
- RAV Virus Encyclopedia: Virus Encyclopedia provided by RAV - Reliable AntiVirus.
- Secunia - Virus Information: Collects virus information from multiple anti-virus vendors, and the collected information is grouped and indexed. When certain conditions are met virus alerts are generated and can be emailed.
- Softpanorama University Skeptical Antivirus page: A skeptical look at anti-virus protection.
- Solo Antivirus - Virus encyclopedia: Contains details about latest virus alerts and wide spread virus information.
- Sophos Virus Analyses: This Sophos database holds the latest virus names and descriptions.
- Team Anti-Virus: An organization for independent anti-virus researchers to facilitate communication, collaboration, and public education. Publishs and links to many papers written by independent researchers.
- TestVirus.org: Tool to automatically send EICAR test files in various formats to a given email address.
- The WildList Organization International: Organization which maintains a fairly comprehensive list of computer viruses which are still found "in the wild".
- Tim O'Leary's Anti Virus Resource site: An independent site with links to a wide variety of antivirus information and download sites. Includes links to free antivirus programs.
- Trend Virus Encyclopedia: Trend Micro issues regular advisories regarding new viruses, including a guide to avoiding them in the first place. Site covers risk factor of the newest viruses. lists top ten virus and offers a security alert archive.
- Virus Bulletin: News and technical articles on developments on viruses and anti-virus products.
- Virus Bulletin - Independent Anti-virus Advice: Independent anti-virus journal and website with advice, reviews and tutorials
- Virus Information Library and Search: Database of viruses for research and informational purposes
- Virus or Hoax?: Created to provide basic information about viruses. Links to major anti-virus companies, public services, software downloads, and updates.
- VirusList.com: Permanently replenishing information about new viruses. Mechanisms of breeding and operation, detailed analysis of algorithms of viruses. Methods to guard against computer viruses.
- Windows Startup Tasks: Massive listing of tasks that may be running on a Windows system at startup, including tasks which may be created by viruses, worms, spyware, and trojans
- comp.virus Newsgroup FAQs: FAQs from the comp.virus newsgroup
- davebauer.net - Avoiding Viruses: Information to help computer users learn how to protect computers from viruses and hackers.
This category in other languages: