Search Home : Health : Conditions and Diseases : Food and Water Borne
- AMA: Diagnosis and Management of Foodborne Illnesses: Publication for health care professionals on the causes and treatments of foodborne illness.
- Ask NOAH About: Food Poisoning: Directory of annotated links.
- BBC Health - Food Poisoning: Short discussion of the causes, prevention, and treatments.
- Bacteria and Foodborne Illness: Discusses the causes, risk factors, and complications associated with foodborne illness. Reviews treatment options and prevention strategies.
- Bacterial Food Poisoning: Discusses the common bacterial agents and the symptoms and foods associated with each agent.
- CDC - Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch: Focuses on the control and prevention of bacterial foodborne and diarrheal diseases. Features news, programs, alerts, and information about individual diseases.
- CDC Health Topic: Foodborne Illnesses: Causes, symptoms, treatments, and prevention of foodborne illnesses.
- CDC Travelers' Health - Risks from Food and Drink: Factsheet covering prevention of foodborne and waterborne illness.
- CDC: Division of Parasitic Diseases - Cysticercosis: Fact sheets and articles on this disease caused by tapeworms.
- CDC: Healthy Swimming: Recommendations for healthy swimming behaviors needed to protect people from recreational water illnesses (RWIs) and will help stop germs from getting in the pool in the first place.
- CDC: Rotavirus: Features organism information, concern about the vaccine, treatment, and prevention.
- CDC: Viral Gastroenteritis: Discusses viruses that can cause gastroenteritis, including rotaviruses, adenoviruses, caliciviruses, astroviruses, Norwalk virus, and a `group` of Noroviruses.
- Children's Water Fund: Providing clean, disease-free water systems to families otherwise forced to drink disease-invested water in Africa.
- Clemson Extension: Foodborne Illnesses: Viruses: Factsheet showing causes, symptoms and treatment of viral infections.
- DBMD - Brainerd Diarrhea: No cause for this illness has been found yet. Includes source of infection, symptoms, prevention, and outbreaks.
- DBMD - Foodborne Infections: FAQ discussing the causes and preventions of foodborne diseases.
- EPA Ground Water and Drinking Water: Information from the Environmental Protection Agency on maintaining a safe water supply.
- FDA/CFSAN - Foodborne Illness: Directory of sites with information on various foodborne illnesses.
- Fight Bac!: Information about cross-contamination and how bacteria spreads.
- Food Poisoning: Comprehensive information on food poisoning, from the California Poison Control System.
- Food Poisoning: Several articles on various causes of foodborne illness.
- Food Poisoning Micro-Organisms: Food safety for food workers information source discussing the causes and prevention of foodborne illness.
- Food Poisoning Microorganisms: Food microbiology online course complimenting 'The Microbiology of Safe Food' book. Resource portal for undergraduates and professionals.
- Food Safety: Includes information on the prevention of foodborne illness such as proper cooking temperatures and handling of foods.
- Food Safety Research Information Office: Directory of resources covering several diseases and toxins that can cause foodborn illness.
- Food Safety and Foodborne Illness: Factsheet from the World Health Organization.
- Food Safety: Food Poisoning: Discusses signs, symptoms and prevention of viral, bacterial, and fungal food poisoning. From the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Food Standards Agency - Avoiding Food Poisoning: FAQ on several causes of food poisoning.
- Food Storage, Food Spoilage, and Foodborne Illness: Publication looks at the causes of foodborne illness, such as salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium botulinum, and trichinosis, and ways to avoid problems.
- FoodNet: Project consists of active surveillance for foodborne diseases and related epidemiologic studies designed to help public health officials better understand the epidemiology of foodborne diseases in the United States.
- FoodSafety.gov - Foodborne Pathogens: Directory of links dealing with foodborne illness.
- Foodborne Diseases: Factsheets from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
- Foodborne Illness: Factsheets on causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
- Foodborne Illness: General food safety information plus a factsheet Hepatitis A and one on Norwalk Virus.
- Foodborne Illness: Directory of factsheets on the most common causes of food poisoning.
- Foodborne Illness: Food microbiology online course complimenting 'The Microbiology of Safe Food' book.
- Foodborne Illness Education Information Center: Information and discussion of the issues, training materials, discussion groups, and links.
- Foodborne Illness--What Consumers Need to Know: Factsheet from the USDA.
- Foodborne Illness: Prevention Strategies: Factsheet from Clemson University describes types, symptoms and preventing food borne illnesses.
- Foodborne Illness: Ten Least Wanted Foodborne Pathogens: Discusses common causes and symptoms.
- Foodborne Pathogens: Iowa State University Extension: Includes causes of illness, incubation period, symptoms, possible contaminants, and steps for prevention.
- Foodlink: Food Poisoning: Provides information on the causes of food poisoning.
- How to Help Avoid Foodborne Illness in the Home: Features prevention strategies and causes.
- Marler Clark: Law firm site with news and information about foodborne illnesses.
- MedlinePlus: Drinking Water: Factsheets and news releases about harmful substances and organisms in water.
- Medlineplus Medical Encyclopedia: Food Poisoning: Includes symptoms, causes, prevention, complications, tests, and treatment.
- Medlineplus: Food Contamination And Poisoning: Features news and factsheets.
- Minnesota Department of Health: Foodborne Illness: Includes surveillance statistics, outbreaks in the state, symptoms, causes, and prevention.
- National Restaurant Association : Foodborne Illness: A list of some of the most common foodborne illnesses and their symptoms and causes.
- Parasites and Foodborne Illness: Publication of the US Food Safety and Inspection Service that discusses several foodborne parasites.
- Preventing Food Poisoning and Food Infection: Factsheet from the University of Georgia.
- RUSick2 Food Poisoning Forum - Michigan State University: Compare notes about what you ate before becoming sick.
- Reducing the Risk of Food Poisoning: Factsheet from Ohio State University.
- Safe Tables Our Priority (STOP): Organization which works to promote food safety and prevent food borne illness. Supports foodborne illness victims, educates consumers about unsafe food conditions, and works with government on food safety issues.
- Safefood Bug Bible: Series of factsheets covering the common causes of food poisoning.
- Seafood-Related Illnesses: Collection of factsheets on various causes of seafood borne illnesses.
- Texas Department of Health: Foodborne Illness: Fact sheets on several waterborne and foodborne illnesses.
- The Bad Bug Book: This handbook provides basic facts regarding foodborne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins. Each chapter focuses on either one bacteria, virus, parasite, or natural toxin, providing basic facts.
- The Unwelcome Dinner Guest: Preventing Food-Borne Illness: Factsheet on prevention from the FDA.
- Vibrio parahaemolyticus: Includes cause, associated foods, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of this illness associated with contaminated seafood.
- Vibrio vulnificus: Can cause disease in those who eat contaminated seafood or have an open wound that is exposed to seawater. Features symptoms, diagnosis, prognosis, prevention, and treatment.
- WHO: Foodborne Disease: Includes disease surveillance, publications, and links.
- WHO: Foodborne Diseases: Directory of links and news.
- WHO: Water-related Disease: Includes factsheets and issues.
- Waterborne Illness: Factsheets on causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
- eMedicine - Food Poisoning: Article by Senthil Nachimuthu, MD.
- eMedicine - Food Poisoning :: Article by Sunil K Sood, MD.
- eMedicine - Vibrio Infections: Article by Hoi Ho, MD.
- eMedicine Health - Food Poisoning: Articles on the causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of several foodborne illneses.