Search Home : Health : Conditions and Diseases : Wounds and Injuries : Altitude Sickness
- Altitude Illness: Summary of prevention and treatment methods.
- Altitude Sickness and Atmospheric Pressure: Basic information plus a utility to calculate the atmospheric pressure at any altitude.
- American Academy of Family Physicians: Overview article with an informational handout for patients.
- Apex Altitude: A charity that exists to perform high altitude medical research and educate the public about the topic
- Bibliography of High-Altitude Medicine and Physiology: Search by author, title, or citation.
- Birmingham Medical Research Expeditionary Society: Site of a `group` of medical scientists studying the effects of altitude and the causes and management of acute mountain sickness.
- British Mountaineering Council - Mountain Medicine Centre: Information on altitude related illnesses with a focus on climbing at altitude.
- CDC Travelers' Health Information on Altitude Illness: CDC's advisory for people planning travel to destinations at altitude.
- Cerebral Syndromes: Article from Emergency Medicine covering cerebral syndromes in altitude sickness from AMS to HACE.
- Family Practice Notebook: High Altitude Sickness: Outline of symptoms, prevention, and diagnosis for all altitude related illnesses.
- Healthy Me: Basic information, including a bibliography.
- High Altitude Medicine: About the book by Herb Hultgren, M.D., including ordering information.
- High Altitude Medicine and Biology: About the magazine published by Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- High Altitude Pathology Institute: High altitude travel advice. Information on chronic mountain sickness, high altitude pulmonary edema, the use of hyperoxic/hypoxic adaptation chambers, and triple hypoxia syndrome.
- High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE): Article on a personal experience with HAPE.
- High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (and me): Personal account of an experience with HAPE.
- High-Altitude Medical Guide: Information on the prevention, recognition, and treatment of altitude illness, as well as other health issues affecting travelers to destinations at altitude.
- High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema: Current Concepts: Abstract of a 1996 article summarizing the current state of HAPE research and treatment.
- HypoMed Global Services: Information on Hypoytherapy/Hypoxytraining. About the annual international "Hypoxia in Medicine" conference.
- Hypoxia: Information about the International Hypoxia Symposium including abstracts.
- International Society for Mountain Medicine: Altitude tutorial. Newsletter archive. About the World Congress on Mountain Medicine and High Altitude Physiology.
- Into the Heavens: Slide presentation on altitude and its physiological effects from Samford University's Physiology of Exercise course.
- Mechanism for Life-Threatening High-Altitude Sickness Uncovered: Article from the American Heart Association on a study of the mechanism that causes HAPE.
- Medex and Medical Expeditions: Information about and from this research charity dedicated to investigating the mechanisms of altitude related illness. Newsletter archive and planned expedition information.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy: Chapter from the Merck Manual on altitude sickness covering causes, treatment, and prevention.
- Non-Physician Altitude Tutorial: Tutorial from the International Society for Mountain Medicine covering acclimatization, AMS, HACE, and HAPE. Includes treatment and prevention information.
- Outdoor Action Guide to High Altitude: Description of altitude related illnesses, their symptoms and their treatment.
- Outdoor Places: Basic description of common illnesses encountered at various altitudes with prevention tips.
- Pardoes Altitude & Acclimatization Page: Information on proper acclimatization and hydration to reduce the incidence of altitude illness. Discussion of altitude's effect on diet, menstruation, and medications. Bibliography and links.
- Pulmonary Syndromes: Article from Emergency Medicine covering HAPE.
- Special Safety Considerations for High Altitude Mountaineering: Article on the effects of altitude with an emphasis on climbing at altitude.
- Supplemental Oxygen for the General Aviation Pilot: Article on determining the need for supplemental oxygen at density altitude.
- Urinary Leukotriene E4 Levels in HAPE: Abstract of a study of the association between urinary excretion of leukotriene-E4 (LTE4) and high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) in order to determine whether HAPE involves inflammatory mechanisms.
- Warning: Altitude Sickness Shouldn't Be Taken Lightly: Article from Health World about the effects of altitude on exercise.
- WebMD: Questions and answers about travel to destinations at altitude. Submit a question or read previously submitted questions and answers.
- eMedicine Health - Mountain Sickness: Consumer health `resource` center providing information on the causes, symptoms, and treatment.