Search Home : Health : Mental Health : Disorders : Neurodevelopmental : Autism Spectrum : Research
- Autism / PDD Research Team: Conducting two separate research studies of autism/PDD under the supervision of Dr. Peter Szatmari. The 'Genetic Study' is an investigation of the genetic factors that may cause autism/PDD and the second study is a long-term 'Follow-up Study' of high functioning PDD children.
- Autism Autoimmunity Project: A non-profit charity dedicated to obtaining funding for independent research addressing immunological and immunogenetic abnormalities in autism.
- Autism Biomedical Information Network: Science-based biomedical information and commentaries on autism/PDD. Includes definitions of "good" science and research.
- Autism Research Institute: Conducts research, and disseminates the results of research, on the causes of autism and on methods of preventing, diagnosing and treating autism and other severe behavioral disorders of childhood.
- Autism Research Resource: Directory of genetic databases hosted by the Coriell Institute for Medical Research.
- Autism Research Unit: Provides a basis for research into the possible causes of autism, and an accessible store of traditional and current research information on autism.
- Autism Society of America Foundation: The primary mission of ASAF is to raise and allocate funds to address the many unanswered questions about autism. ASAF sponsors work as diverse as the people affected by autism, spanning such fields as neurobiology, education, behavioral science, adult services, and disability law.
- Autism and Related Disorders Program: University of South Dakota center fosters research, training, evaluation, and offers consultations and family support groups. Features news, publications, including a handbook for families, and staff profiles.
- Autistic Behavior and FXS: Research into the relationship between autistic characteristics and fragile X syndrome (FXS) conducted by Don Bailey and Gary Mesibov of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Features project goals and summary of findings.
- Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities Epidemiology: Established to increase understanding of the factors that lead to the development of autism and other developmental disabilities.
- Cure Autism Now Foundation (CAN): An organization of parents, physicians, and researchers, dedicated to promoting and funding research with direct clinical implications for treatment and a cure for autism. The largest private funder of autism research.
- Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism: Provides funding for services for financially disadvantaged families who need assistance in caring for their autistic children; funds research and education into the causes and consequences of childhood autism; serves as a clearinghouse and communications center for new and innovative programs and services developed for autistic children.
- Dr. Anthony R Torres - Autism Theory: Director of the BioMedical Lab at Utah State University shows a probable link between autism and the widespread use of antipyretics.
- Exploring Autism: Information about breakthroughs in genetic research of autism. Genetics overview, history of autism, news, family stories, frequently asked questions, and links.
- GGSE Autism Research and Training Center: University of California, Santa Barbara program that focuses on behavior modification therapy. Features information on publications, grants, conferences, and current research projects.
- Information about Secretin: Features articles describing the use of secretin in autism treatment therapies. Provided by the University of Albany Psychology Department.
- International Molecular Genetic Study of Autism Consortium: Team of clinicians, laboratory researchers and statistical geneticists from several European countries and the U.S.A., established to investigate the genetic basis of Autism and related disorders. Newsletters, excerpts from their publications and links to other autism sources.
- Literal Detours: Propositions On Abstraction In High Functioning Autistic Individuals: Paper on abstraction and language issues in HFA individuals.
- M.I.N.D. Institute: The University of California, Davis, Health System has established a unique interdisciplinary institute to conduct research and provide clinical programs focused on these disorders. Leading scientists, physicians and educators in fields as diverse as molecular genetics and clinical pediatrics are joining forces to better understand development and brain function.
- MMR Autism Report Summary: Immunization safety review of the Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) vaccine and autism. Report commissioned by the National Academies, Institute of Medicine.
- Medicine for Autism Today (MAT): Funds research to aid in the development of a cure for autism.
- Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General - Autism: Brief overview of the current research.
- Music Therapy Research: A literature review by Kirsten Coons of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Features annotated journal and Internet references focusing on the goals and methodologies of this form of therapy.
- National Alliance for Autism Research (NAAR): A national nonprofit, tax-exempt organization dedicated to finding the causes, prevention, effective treatment, and ultimately, a cure of the autism spectrum of disorders.
- NeuroImmune Dysfunction Syndromes (NIDS): Mission is to identify effective medical treatments, and potentially a cure for those suffering from Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, PDD, ADD, ADHD, CFS, CFIDS and others.
- Origins of Autism: The causes or etiology of autism described from an evolutionary perspective.
- Pepcid (famotidine) for Autism: Research on Pepcid (famotidine) for children with autism and pervasive developmental disorders.
- Research Relevant to Autism: Promotes interdisciplinary perspectives on autism spectrum disorders and brings attention to research findings in neurochemistry that may be relevant to problems of language development and auditory attention.
- Targeting the Autism Genome (TAG): Non-profit organization that brings technologies such as "Reverse Functional Genomics" and other breakthroughs in developmental biology, stem cells and genomics to Autism Research.
- The Autism Research Foundation (TARF): Dedicated to Research in Autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), Asperger's Syndrome, Rett's Syndrome, Fragile X and Other Developmental Brain Disorders.
- Treatment and Research Institute for Autism Spectrum Disorders: Program at the Vanderbilt Child Development Center providing specialized services for children with autism spectrum disorders and their families. Offers information on behavior management, social skills and early intervention programs.
- UCSD Autism Research Laboratory: Provides information on research activities conducted on the campus of the University of California, San Diego. Offers details on the parent training program, sibling and speech studies
- UW Collaborative Program of Excellence in Autism: Research on the behavioral, biological and genetic components of autism directed by Geraldine Dawson of the University of Washington. Features program goals, overview of findings and links to newspaper and journal articles.
- University of Chicago Laboratory for Developmental Neuroscience: Dedicated to studying the molecular basis of pediatric onset neuropsychiatric disorders. Now working with collaborators on the molecular genetics of autism, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, childhood onset obsessive-compulsive disorder, stuttering, adolescent depression, and pediatric and early onset bipolar mood disorder.
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Autism Research Program: This research tests the assumptions that autism selectively involves complex cognitive abilities and results from abnormal development and function of neocortical systems. The researchers are examining evidence of strengths and deficits in complex information processing abilities in areas of reasoning, language, memory, motor, and visual spatial abilities.
- University of Wisconsin Research on Autism Homepage: Provides an overview of research activities, information for parents and links to related resources.
- Yale Child Study Center: Comprehensive, multidisciplinary evaluations for children and adults with social disabilities, usually focusing on the issues of diagnosis and intervention. Conducts several large research projects on autism, AS, and other PDD's.