Search Home : Health : Public Health and Safety : Patient Safety
- AHRQ WebM&M: Web-based patient safety `resource` and journal that showcases patient safety lessons drawn from actual cases of medical errors; site includes cases of medical errors, expert commentaries, and a users' forum.
- AHRQ's Patient Safety E-newsletter: Issued periodically to disseminate patient safety news and information; features research findings, new product announcements, and updates on initiatives in the safety and quality field.
- APIC Patient Safety Resources: Multi-disciplinary voluntary international organization promoting quality health care through infection control and epidemiology in all health settings. Includes links, tools, archives and information resources.
- ARCHI - Document - Improving Patient Safety Discussion Group: Provides a forum for health professionals to discuss issues pertaining to patient safety and quality in health care.
- Alliance for Human Research Protection: National network to advance responsible and ethical medical research practices and empowers patients with information they need to make informed research choices.
- American Iatrogenic Association: Focuses on the study and reporting of medical errors that lead to disease and death; includes links to related sites and resources.
- Australian Patient Safety Foundation: Provides leadership in the reduction of harm to patients in all health care environments and provides incident reporting and monitoring systems. Collects de-identified incident report data for inclusion in an aggregated database that facilitates comparative research.
- Center on Patient Safety: Supports professional practice of pharmacists in hospitals and health systems and promotes issues related to medication use and public health. Includes research, links, and informative brochures.
- Colorado Patient Safety Coalition: Home page for coalition of healthcare professionals and organizations formed to promote patient safety in Colorado.
- E. K. Borden Consulting: Offers consulting services on safety and benefit/effectiveness of marketed medications; resources include evaluation, investigation and scientific follow-up methodologies.
- FDA Patient Safety News: Televised series for health care personnel carried on satellite broadcast networks for hospitals and other medical facilities; features include information on new drugs, biologics and medical devices, FDA safety notifications and product recalls, and ways to protect patients when using medical products.
- FDA Patient Safety News: Televised series carried on satellite broadcast networks for health care personnel at hospitals and other medical facilities across the country. Features information on new medical devices, FDA safety notifications and product recalls, and ways to protect patients when using medical devices.
- Global Care Quest: Patient Data - Mobile & Wireless: Provides mobile access to patient data and medical references; software supports diagnosis and treatment decisions and enhances clinical performance.
- Global Med-ID System: Provides a medical information system with immediate worldwide compatibility. System utilizes existing Internet/Intranet technology and unique controls providing the foremost level of security.
- HCA Patient Safety: Describes this US hospital chain's medication and patient safety practices, and provides general information about the subject.
- HospitalWeb - Global (not including USA): Lists web site addresses of international hospitals; updated regularly.
- HospitalWeb - USA: Lists web site addresses of U.S. hospitals; updated regularly.
- Human Factors MD: Provides consulting assistance in medical software And devices; services include user interface design, usability testing, and human factors program development.
- IPRO Quality Improvement Organization: Assesses quality of health care for federal and state agencies, providers, managed care organizations, commercial insurers, Fortune 500 companies, business coalitions and unions. Services include utilization review, study design, data analysis, and claim review.
- ISMP Nurse Advise-ERR: Provides updates on medication safety issues to alert nurses to hazards, identify systems problems, and improve patient safety; written and edited by nurses.
- Institute For Safe Medication Practices: Provides information about adverse drug events and their prevention to healthcare practitioners and institutions, regulatory agencies, professional organizations and the pharmaceutical industry. Includes research findings, books and publications, an electronic discussion forum, and links to related sites.
- Institute for Self-Directed Care: Promotes clinical research, consumer education and advocacy for self-directed, patient-centered health care; site includes consulting services and links to relevant resources.
- JCAHO Facts About Patient Safety: Improves safety and quality of care for patients and residents in health care organizations through accreditation and performance improvement.
- Lifetag - Medical Identification Jewelry: Offers alternatives to traditional medical ID tags; provides a highly-visible medical emblem which can attach to jewelry, keys, cell phones, insulin pumps and driver's licenses.
- Making Health Care Safer: Analyzes controlled observational studies, clinical trials, and peer-reviewed medical literature on practices relevant to improving patient safety. Focuses on prevention of errors and adverse events.
- Maryland Patient Safety: Supports regional patient safety initiatives by encouraging collaborative efforts, disseminating current knowledge relating to patient safety, and developing a formal structure for activities.
- MedSun: The Medical Product Surveillance Network (MedSun) supports FDA post-market surveillance; activities include identification, analysis, and dissemination of information about problems with the use of medical devices.
- MediSL: Offers consolidated medical information, allergies and prescription drugs for health care providers.
- Medicharms: Offers alternative medical identification items; products include a variety of character, sports-related and other pendants with the medical information on the back.
- Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety: Promotes patient safety by encouraging collaboration between participants of the Minnesota health care system. Includes organizational assessment tools, information on best practices, and links to related resources.
- National Patient Safety Agency: Promotes an open culture in hospitals, encouraging doctors and other staff to report incidents and "near misses," when things almost go wrong. Encourages staff to report incidents without fear of personal reprimand and know that by sharing their experiences others will be able to learn lessons and improve patient safety. The change of emphasis is more about the "how" than the "who."
- National Patient Safety Foundation: Information, research, and resources on professional, consumer, and systems issues related to patient safety. The online discussion forum is devoted to development of a safer health care system.
- National Quality Forum: Promotes change through development and implementation of a national strategy for health care quality measurement and reporting.
- Partnership for Human Research Protection: Provides accreditation to protect the safety and rights of participants in clinical trials and research programs in public and private hospitals, academic medical centers, and other research facilities in the United States and abroad.
- Partnership for Patient Safety: A patient-centered initiative to advance the reliability of healthcare systems worldwide. Includes videos, audio cassettes, and CD-ROM training tools.
- Patient Care Technology Systems: Provides integrated technology solutions and consulting services to improve quality and operating performance of emergency departments.
- Patient Safety Center of Inquiry: Supports clinicians in providing safe patient care by designing and testing clinical innovations, technological solutions, and patient safety improvement systems. Research targets the frail elderly and persons with disabilities.
- Patient Safety Data Standards: Promotes development of data standards applicable to the collection, coding and classification of patient safety information. The plan will apply to both adverse event data and errors data.
- Patient Safety First: Assists perioperative nurses, managers and practitioners in providing safe patient care. Offers resources related to patient safety in surgical settings, including lists of educational products and resources, articles, and links to national patient safety initiatives.
- Patient Safety Institute: Provides real-time, secure, patient-centric clinical information in five areas critical for delivering quality care: diagnoses, laboratory results, medications, allergies and immunizations.
- Patient Safety News and Article Tracker: Updated list of recent patient safety news, journal articles, and conferences.
- Patient Safety Reporting System: A voluntary, confidential, non-punitive program available to all VA employees for the reporting of events and concerns related to patient safety.
- Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare: Provides broad range of safety and quality information for patients, clinicians, and healthcare administrators; online and in print format.
- Patient Safety: Let's Get Practical: Conference home page for the patient safety / errors in health care conference series presented by the National Patient Safety Foundation, Annenberg Center for Health Sciences, and other medical and health care organizations, government agencies, and corporations.
- Patient Updates: Provides a free, convenient and reliable way to keep friends and family updated on the condition of a hospitalized loved one.
- PatientGuard: Offers downloadable eBook that teaches users how to recognize and prevent medical mistakes; site resources include free newsletter.
- Plug Lock: Device that safeguards power supply to vital apparatus at the patient's bedside and prevents accidental disconnection.
- Premier Inc.: Provides consulting services and information resources to help hospitals and health systems improve clinical effectiveness and operational performance.
- QSHC Online: A monthly journal presenting peer-reviewed ideas, solutions and practices in the field of patient safety and quality improvement.
- QuIC Report on Patient Safety: Prepared by the Quality Interagency Coordination Task Force (QuIC), proposes strong action on Institute of Medicine recommendations to promote safer health care.
- Quality Interagency Coordination (QuIC) Task Force: Ensures that Federal agencies involved in purchasing, providing, studying, or regulating health care services are working in a coordinated manner toward the common goal of improving quality care.
- Quality, Patient Safety Initiatives Program (QPSI): Quality of care, professional performance, science of quality improvement, and safety of care educational site for healthcare professionals and patients.
- RN+ Systems: Offers a variety of wireless monitoring systems to assist healthcare organizations improve patient safety, prevent falls, and reduce reliance upon restraints; site includes training and education resources.
- Rightfield Solutions: Provides multimedia, interactive, informational programs for the healthcare industry; services enhance patient safety, improve clinical care, and reduce risk exposure.
- SAFER California Healthcare: The Strategic Alliance For Error Reduction in California Healthcare (SAFER) promotes and coordinates patient safety research activities, clinical delivery systems, and educational programs. Includes University of California medical centers, state agencies, and organizational partnerships.
- SafeStart: Provides safety awareness training that identifies behaviors common in 90% of all patient injuries and medication errors for clinical staff and other health care personnel. Focuses on the human side of safety.
- Simulation Group - Medical Simulation: Conducts research that will transform medical training from the current apprentice model to real-time computer-based medical simulations; objectives include improving medical education and increasing patient safety.
- TalkingQuality.gov: Provides research findings and instructions on effective ways to communicate information about health care quality to consumers and develop health plan report cards.
- The Leapfrog Group: Promotes improvements in the safety of health care by giving consumers data to make more informed hospital choices. Includes hospital survey results, patient safety research, and links to related sites.
- UCLA Center for Patient Safety and Quality: Defines and promotes changes necessary to create a "blame free" culture that encourages reporting and learning from mistakes, near misses and mishaps. Provides the link between UCLA Healthcare and the University of California patient safety efforts (SAFER California Healthcare).
- VA National Center for Patient Safety: Patient Safety: medical error, medication error, medical equipment failure, root cause analysis, human factors, usability, physician error, pharmacy error, nursing error, iatrogenesis, failure mode analysis
- Virginians Improving Patient Care and Safety: Advancing Patient Safety in Virginia: VIPC&S supports systematic efforts to continuously improve quality of care and patient safety.
- Voice4Patients.Com: Provides information to educate patients and consumers on the health care process, including links to research and support resources.
- Wrong Diagnosis: Provides information on misdiagnosis of more than 1200 diseases and 300 symptoms; includes data on risk factors and links to additional resources.
This category in other languages: