Search Home : Home : Consumer Information : Food and Drink
- Acu-Cell: Chocolate: Takes a critical look at "Chocolate-Is-Good-For-You" campaigns and dispels some of the health benefit myths.
- Additives: Food additives guide along with a section called "recipes" where listed are the additives found in every day foods.
- Are Generic Foods a Better Buy?: No-name brands usually save you money, but should you be buying them. Short article from University of Illinois Extension.
- Bottled Water Blues: Discusses bottled water vs. filtered water and compares water filter brands.
- Bottled Water Web: Includes forum, FAQs, glossary, resources, articles, regulations, new products and statistics.
- CSPI - Center for Science in the Public Interest: The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a nonprofit education and advocacy organization that focuses on improving the safety and nutritional quality of our food supply.
- Calcium: Fact sheet explaining which foods are a good source of this mineral used for building bones and teeth, and in maintaining bone strength. From University of Ohio Extension (United States).
- California Cling Peaches: Nutrition information, fruit tips, recipes, industry facts, orchard history, and links for consumers, school and foodservice, kids, and dietitians. Includes newsletters, art, and educational information.
- Candy Critic: Guide to various candies, ice cream, and chocolate bars. Includes news, reviews, and related resources.
- Consumer Freedom: Satirical site run by coalition of restaurant and tavern operators objecting to effect that environmentalists, animal rights activitists, and health food activists have on food selection and presentation in restaurants and taverns.
- Consumer Guide to Purchasing Saffron: Guide to help cooks, chefs and consumers become familiar with saffron. Includes glossary, purchasing tips, and recipes.
- Cupboard Storage: Ohio State University Extension fact sheet with basic information provided to increase your food storage "know how".
- Current Hot Topics: Current Hot Topics covers food safety issues such as E.coli Food Poisoning, Listeria in Cheese, BSE, BST, Trans Fatty Acids, Genetic Modification, Food Irradiation, Olestra, Salt, Microbiological Food Safety for Children and Vulnerable Groups, Food Allergens, Salmonella, Dioxins and PCBs. The statements are drawn up by experts within the broad membership of the Institute of Food Science and Technology.
- Dairy Food Safety: Directory of resources on the subject.
- FDA/CFSAN Consumer Advice: Information available to the public about food safety and food products.
- Fed up with Food Additives: Provides information about the effects of food on behaviour, health and learning in both children and adults and offers support for families using the low chemical elimination diet - free of additives, low in salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers (FAILSAFE). Includes newsletters, articles, fact sheets, recipes and support groups.
- Federal Citizen Information Center - Food: Directory of factsheets on nutrition and food safety.
- Folate (Folacin, Folic Acid): This fact sheet from Ohio State University Extension contains information to help you select foods that provide adequate daily amounts of folic acid.
- Food Glorious Food: Provides a way to assess diet, understand the food pyramid, and learn about healthy eating. Includes recipes, a true/false quiz, and games. From the Irish Food Board.
- Food Information (multilingual): Information on food production, food safety, additives, ingredients and other topics. With extensive FAQ (over 300 questions). In 12 languages, by 2005 in all European languages.
- Food Query: Independent advice service for the food industry and its consumers. Covers topics of food hygiene and microbiology, food poisoning, nutrition, production efficiency, employment, hotel management, accommodation, food and beverage service providers. Includes food query form.
- Food Safety: Information about storage, preparation and handling of beef, pork, turkey and chicken from the Arizona Barbeque Association.
- Food Safety And Inspection Service Recall Information Center: Recalls are voluntary actions carried out by industry in cooperation with Federal and State agencies. Products are recalled when found to be contaminated, adulterated, or misbranded. Site lists active and archived cases from both US Federal and state agencies.
- Food Safety Network: Directory of articles, press releases, and information sources.
- Food Safety Project: Provides information on food safety and quality. From Iowa State University Extension.
- Food Safety Risk Analysis Clearinghouse: Data, tutorials, tools, and links to numerous sources of information for professionals and consumers.
- Food Safety Today: Summaries of news stories, publications and free fact sheets. [Requires subscription for full access.]
- Food Safety.gov: Provides links to US Government information for consumers and producers, educational material, alerts, and reporting of illnesses and problems.
- Food additives: Includes list of E-numbers, categorized by name, by number and by adverse effect. [Hungarian and English]
- Food and Drink Federation: Body representing the UK food and drink manufacturing industry. FDF works with government, NGOs and consumers to develop industry positions on issues and renew confidence in the food chain.
- FoodRoutes - Where does your food come from?: Discusses advantages of buying from local sources and community level map.
- Foodfitness: The Food and Drink Federation represents and promotes the interests of food and drink manufacturers. Healthy lifestyle tips, self assessment forms, and links to additional information and resources.
- Foodlink: Food safety guide includes causes of food poisoning, good kitchen and personal hygiene, and proper food storage and handling.
- Foods and Nutrition: Large collection of articles on food safety, safe food handling, nutrition, meat storage guidelines and many other food related issues. From Nebraska Cooperative Extension.
- Go South for Quality Produce from the U.S.: Consumer, grower and shipper information from the Southern United States Trade Association (SUSTA). Recipes and produce nutrition, storage and quick tips.
- Greenline -The Summertime Rules: In the summertime foods can quickly reach the "danger zone." This fact sheet will provide you with tips to help prevent this from happening. From University of Illinois Extension.
- Life in the Fast Food Lane: Fact sheet from Ohio State University Extension, on fast foods and how to make wise choices for healthier eating.
- Little Red Tractor - British Farm Standard: Information on the British symbol of food safety, animal welfare, and care for the environment.
- Magnesium: This fact sheet explains the role of magnesium in the body, and which foods we should eat to get an adequate daily amount.
- MouthShut.com: India consumer exchange contains reviews and tips on food, beverages, and restaurants.
- National Directory of Fruit Stands and Farmers' Markets: Directory of fruit stands and farmers' markets across the US. Includes addresses, e-mail, and hours of operation.
- National Food Safety Database: Directory of factsheets and other resources on food safety and nutrition.
- Pace Foods: Discover recipes using Pace salsa, picante sauce, and queso. Find out about current promotions. Learn about all the different flavors of Pace products.
- Red Food Coloring: A fact sheet offering basic information on red colored foods, and offering ways to avoid it. From the Australian television program Burke's Backyard.
- Seasoned Cooking: Cyber Food: Review article about various places on the web to find food and cooking information.
- Seasoned Cooking: Food on the Web: A review of SOAR, the Searchable Online Archive of Recipes.
- Seasoned Cooking: FoodGeeks.com: Review of the food and cooking site, FoodGeeks.com.
- Seasoned Cooking: Home Cooking: A review of the About.com site for the site also called Home Cooking.
- Selecting a Fresh Pineapple: A guide to which pineapples to select, and tips to know when they are ready.
- Shigella: An Infectious Foodborne Illness: Fact sheet from Ohio State University Extension about this germ which causes an infectious disease.
- Smart Drinks: Fact sheet offering information on the highly caffeinated drinks. From the Australian television program Burke's Backyard.
- SoyProducts.com: Provides information on soy products and the companies that sell them.
- Texas Technical University: Food Safety: Compiled by Dr. Mindy Brashears, gives information for consumers and the industry regarding various food safety issues, and scientific references.
- The BevNET's World Famous Beverage Reviews: Over one thousand products reviewed, even discontinued ones.
- The Coffee and Caffeine FAQ: Dedicated to all beverages and products that contain caffeine.
- The Consumer Gateway: Food: The Consumer Gateway is a UK Government site providing information and links to sources of further advice on issues of concern to general consumers
- The Food Domain: A Comprehensive Resource: Directory of factsheets and resources from Michigan State University.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Pesticides and Food: Describes the types used, prescribed limits, risks to health, and regulatory framework.
- UK Food Guide: Information on all types of additives and E numbers used in both the manufacture and preservation of foodstuffs, chemicals used to grow food, and the effects that these substances have upon people and their environment.
- USA National Pork Board: Offers information on the Foot and Mouth disease.
- Vitamin A: Ohio State University Extension fact sheet explaining the role of this vitamin and which foods are a good source for it.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): Explains which foods contain ascorbic acid, how to get enough in our diet, and how to prepare foods to retain their vitamin C contents. From Ohio State University Extension (United States).
- Vitamin E: Ohio State University Extension fact sheet bout this fat-soluble vitamin, explains which foods will help you meet your daily requirement, and the effects it has on the body.
- WHO - ECR: Food safety: The World Health Organisation (WHO) Food Safety Programme gives links to their programs on, food safety, food legislation, Codex Alimentarius (HACCP) Systems, surveillance of foodborne disease, Global Environmental Monitoring System, and, Emerging and other Communicable Diseases Surveillance
- What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish: United States Foood and Drug Administration advisory. Contains links to additional information including a table showing mercury levels in commercial fish and shellfish.
- Wholehealthmd Foods Index: Information about the foods we should eat and why, how to select the best, store and prepare.
- eLook Nutrition: Online database of over 6,800 foods covering their nutrient contents.