Search Home : Home : Gardening : History
- Gardens of the Mughal Empire: An interactive journey through twelve Mughal Gardens including Shalamar. You can hear music and follow in the footsteps of the ancient Mughals on a processional path from Hiran Minar to Mian Mir.
- British Library: Lost Gardens: Illustrations from manuscripts and early printed books dig into the story of gardening. Includes games.
- Canoe Plants of Ancient Hawaii: Guide to the plants carried by early Polynesian voyagers in their canoes - history and traditional uses for each of two dozen plants.
- Chinese Gardens: An article on environmental aesthetics and Chinese gardens.
- Dutch Gardens and Garden Architecture: Information from the first chapter of a book on Dutch gardens.
- Enchanted Gardens of the Renaissance: A visual tour of three Renaissance Gardens and their relationship to the art of the period.
- Garden History Links: History of gardening links from Edwinna von Baeyer's Web pages.
- Garden History, Garden Tours and Garden Visit Guide: A guide to garden history, garden tours historic parks, 1000+ gardens and botanic collections open to the public in the UK, USA, Europe, America, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Japan, India, Australia, England, Ireland, Scotland.
- Garden History : Garden history books of the 20th century
- Gardening History Timeline - From Ancient Times to 1800: Noteworthy Publications, Persons, and Events in the History of Gardening. Including some Related Information from Agriculture, Natural History, Botany, and Ecology. By Michael P. Garofalo
- Gardening and Mythology: Mythological references to gardening subjects.
- Gardens and Landscape Design: Images and text on 8 Italian Renaissance Gardens and on Giverny in France
- Gardens in Iran ITTO Guide: Government tourist office guide to Iranian gardens
- Gothein's History of Garden Art: Complete text of the 1913 book is available online here. Detailed accounts of European gardens, added later material on North America, brief accounts of the rest of the world.
- Iconography of Chinese Gardens: Stories and Symbols
- Introduction to Dutch gardens and garden architecture: A description of the historical development of the Dutch style.
- Landscape History: A categorised collection of images and photographs of gardens and landscapes in a number of designs.
- Landscape Virtual Gallery.: A catalog of 8000 slides about parks and gardens in Europe.
- Landscape history and garden history in India: History of gardens and landscapes in the Indian subcontinent, with links to related sites
- Museum of Garden History: The recreation of a historic knot garden and the history of British gardens and plants are included as is a virtual visit to several exhibits at the museum.
- Our Vegetable Travelers: A history of garden vegetables, orginally published in National Geographic (1949), and reprinted here as a special feature.
- Parcs à fabriques - French Anglo-Chinese gardens: Account of some of the major French gardens made in the style known in France as Anglo-Chinese, and in England as English landscape.
- Portland Classical Chinese Garden - Lan Su Yuan: The official site for Lan Su Yuan, Portland's Garden of Awakening Orchids. A traditional Chinese garden built in the heart of Portland.
- Shiga Project - The Japanese Garden: A research project on Japanese gardens, by 16 American students who were in Japan in 1996
- Spirit of Gardening: Quotes, proverbs, articles, history, humor, links, and resources for the gardener.
- The History of Gardening Timeline: An account of gardening from ancient times to the twentieth century organized by time periods with links to supplementary information.
- Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants: Collects, preserves, and distributes historic plant varieties.
- UK Database of Historic Parks and Gardens: A searchable database of Historic Parks and Gardens in the UK.