Search Home : Home : Home Improvement : Design and Construction
- Adobe by the Rio Grande: Watch the construction of a traditional adobe home being built near Albuquerque, NM. Weekly updates by Adobe Home builder, David C. Peterson.
- American Hardwood Species Guide: Independent information source on North American hardwoods.
- Andy's How To Homebuilding: Tips and advice on designing, contracting and building your own home.
- Architects Attic: On-line `resource` of architectural information, home design, floor plan selection and building products.
- Bob Vila's Dotcom Dreamhome: Web-driven home-building project. An experiment in internet-enabled, residential construction explores the growing toolbox of internet-based options for homebuilders and consumers.
- BuilderSelect: Resource for finding a builder, financing, planning and designing a new home.
- Building a Custom Home: One family's monthly diary on the construction of their home, complete with tips and ideas.
- Building at the Ledge: Building a dream home, a journal by the owner. Discusses passive solar design, alternative methods, design decisions, emotional turmoil.
- Code Check: Online version of the popular field guide to the most common code violations for residential construction.
- Diligent Home Inspections: Information and resources for homeowners and potential buyers dealing with home inspections.
- General Contracting Your Own Home: Homeowner's account of a home construction project where the family acted as general contractor. Includes an overview of the plan, a journal, and photographs from foundation to finish.
- Help For Unhappy Homeowners: List of steps which can be taken by homeowners that are unhappy with their builder.
- How Stuff Works: Home Building: Informative 7-part narrative, with figures and pictures, illustrates how a house is built.
- Idea Workshop Journal: Collection of articles focusing on design issues in the home. Covers designing a home office, basement foundation guidelines, planning for accessibility, zoned heating and cooling systems, creating architectural detail with drywall, and kitchen design.
- MSN House and Home: Working with a Contractor: Step-by-step advice for evaluating contractors, creating a remodelling budget, and working with a contractor and other workers throughout the project.
- Permit Place: Advice and assistance with preparing and obtaining building permits, checklists, permit exemptions, and FAQs. [Some information specific to United States.]
- Rafter Layout with Log Timbers: Instructions and drawings explaining how to layout log rafters using a steel square.
- Robin and Korstiaan are Building a New Home: Homeowners' photographic journal of the construction of a new home in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Split-Level Homes: Homeowner guide to various divided entry homes, including bi-level, split-level, and raised ranch. Concepts, interior design, additions, landscaping.
- The Wilder Home: Homeowners' account of the construction of their hurricane-proof waterfront home in Gulf Shores, Alabama of Dac-Art man-made stone, with glass tile mosaics.
- Village Post And Beam: Photo journal which documents the 1998 construction of a post and beam home centered around a "great room."