Search Home : Reference : Dictionaries
- Merriam-Webster OnLine: A free, searchable on-line dictionary and thesaurus, word games, a word of the day, and many other English language and vocabulary reference tools and resources.
- OneLook Dictionaries: Look up a word or term in an Internet dictionary or glossary. Free search access to a frequently updated database of words, terms, names, and acronyms.
- 1000Dictionaries.com: Links to online language dictionaries and subject dictionaries.
- A-Z-Dictionaries: Descriptions and links to free online dictionaries, the Merriam-Webster dictionary, electronic dictionary products, dictionary downloads and software and ideas for saving money.
- AllDictionaries.com: Categorized index of language and subject dictionaries.
- AllWords.com: Features two modern English dictionaries, multilingual search, and translation. Also features a guide to language sites on the web and a language discussion forum.
- Bin's On-Line Dictionary: Search various on-line dictionaries.
- Cambridge International Dictionaries: Free online dictionary from Cambridge University Press.
- Campus Program: Language Dictionaries: A compilation of a large number of dictionary websites grouped by language.
- Collection of Web-Dictionaries: Sorted list of online dictionaries of more than 50 languages, mostly bilingual.
- Cooldictionary.com: Free edition of a complete Webster dictionary. Fully crosslinked.
- Cynic's Dictionary: Irreverent and amusing definitions.
- DICT Development Group: A WWW interface to several freely available on-line dictionaries, including Webster's 1913, the Jargon File, the US Gazetteer, and Easton's Bible Dictionary.
- Dictionaries and Translation: List of links to dictionaries on the Internet.
- Dictionaries on the Web: Link collection -- over 100 links to various dictionaries of about 40 languages.
- Dictionaries, Lexica and Lexical Resources: Collection of links to various online dictionaries and other lexical references.
- Dictionary Building Software for Reporters: Software program for realtime reporters and captioners that lists many diverse vocabulary lists.
- Dictionary Link: A directory of free online language resources such as dictionaries, thesauruses, language translators, and encyclopedias.
- Dictionary Society of North America: An international organization of librarians, booksellers, translators, linguists, publishers, writers, journalists, and collectors. Founded in 1975 to further research in dictionary making, study, collection, and use. Member of the American Council of Learned Societies.
- Dictionary of Comprehension: A Dictionary of Comprehension in different languages.
- Dictionary of Difficult Words: Search or browse this dictionary of more than 13,000 words.
- Dictionary.com: Free online dictionary search, translator, word of the day, crossword puzzles and word games, and vocabulary learning resources for many languages.
- Dictsearch: Search a variety of dictionaries including monolingual, bilingual, and specialty dictionaries.
- Digital Media Knowledge Base: Free service including dictionary search and tutorials on web development tools.
- EZresearch.com: Provides a directory of dictionaries.
- Eurodicautom: The European Commission's multilingual term bank. Particularly rich in technical and specialized terminology related to European Union policy.
- Frank Dietz's Glossary Links: Directory of over 2200 links to glossaries, most of which are in English or German.
- Free Dictionary and Free Translation: Collection of free dictionaries and translation sites. Supports searching all dictionaries with just one mouse click.
- Globalization.com: On-line Dictionaries and Glossaries for Translators: Directory of monolingual, bilingual, and multilingual dictionaries and glossaries, arranged by language.
- Glossaries by Language: Directory of multilingual dictionaries and dictionaries on specific subjects, alphabetized by language.
- High Definition Dictionary: Mixed collection of drug terminology with an apparently arbitrarily selected mix of other, unrelated terms. Dictionary accepts contributions of new terms.
- HyperDictionary.com: Includes a thesaurus and searchable dictionaries for English, computers, dreams and medicine.
- Hypertext Webster Gateway: WWW interface to multiple English dictionaries.
- Information Please Dictionary: Infoplease's free online dictionary. Features almanacs, an encyclopedia, and an atlas.
- KnowPlay?: Simple and integrated access to dictionaries, thesauri, encylopedias, and quotation databases.
- Lexicate Online Dictionary: Text-only online dictionary directory of language (e.g. English, French and Spanish) and subject (e.g. Science, Computer and Medical) dictionaries.
- Lexicool: Searchable directory of bilingual and multilingual dictionaries.
- Lighting Design Terminology: Explanations of terms used in architectural lighting and lighting simulation.
- On-Line Dictionaries: Online specialty dictionaries for English, Russian, German, Finnish and Latin.
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Allows users to search, free of charge, for entries in the latest (year 2000) edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
- Planet Translation: Directory of dictionaries, including unilingual, multilingual, and topical resources.
- Quotations: The Yale Dictionary: Project to create an searchable online database and a quotation dictionary from Yale University Press.
- Research-It: Includes several dictionaries and a thesaurus as well as online tools for shipping and mailing, currency exchange, and language translation.
- Searchbug: A collection of reference tools.
- Skeptic's Dictionary: Skeptical definitions and essays on occult, paranormal, supernatural and pseudoscientific ideas and practices with references to the best skeptical literature.
- Strange Dictionaries: Free online versions of the Dictionary of One-Letter Words, the Dictionary of All-Vowel Words, the Dictionary of All-Consonant Words, and other strange dictionary resources.
- Terminological Information System: A simplified version of the European Union terminological database.
- The Alternative Dictionaries: Includes a list of slang terms and phrases in various languages.
- The Century Dictionary Online: Free 500,000 word dictionary of English with an encyclopedia and world atlas. Uses DjVu and JPEG formats to display page images. Has headword lookup and full text search of 22 million words of underlying text.
- The Glossarist: Searchable directory of glossaries and topical dictionaries containing terms and definitions on hundreds of subjects.
- The Newbury House Online Dictionary: Search over 40,000 entries to get clear concise definitions and when available related pictures.
- The Online Dictionary List: A large directory of online dictionaries, both in English and bilingual, including specialist dictionaries.
- The Superhero Dictionary: Each entry compares a superhero's name with its real life meaning and includes comparison pictures and pronunciations.
- Voycabulary: Online dictionary and thesaurus web linking lookup reference tool.
- Word Assault: Looks up multiple words simultaneously using several databases including Webster's, Easton's, Wordnet, and the Devil's Dictionary.
- Word Central: Student dictionary and rhyming dictionary online at Merriam-Webster's website. Daily Buzzword by subscription.
- Word Spy: Site dedicated to recently coined words and existing words revived into modern usage.
- WordWeb: A free English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows.
- Worthless Word for the Day: Obscure, abstruse and/or recondite word, especially one not falling into medical terms, foreign monetary units, foreign units of measure, legal terms, or professional jargon of any type.
- Xlation.com Glossary Database: More than 1682 separate glossaries, linked by topic and by ISO 639-2 language codes.
- yourDictionary.com: Comprehensive index of on-line dictionaries in more than 200 different languages. Includes an index of on-line grammars, word of the day by email, and several pages of linguistic fun.
This category in other languages: