Search Home : Reference : Education : Instructional Technology : Higher Education : Course Website Software
- ANGEL: An enterprise course management system that combines an open and flexible architecture with a complete set of easy-to-use features.
- ARIADNE Project: Joint European academic consortium. Offers WBT authoring, delivery and management tools. Foundation members have free access to a huge database of reusable course modules.
- ATutor: An Open Source Web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS) designed with accessibility and adaptability in mind.
- BSCW: (Basic Support for Cooperative Work) is a web based collaboration / groupware environment. It is a shared workspace system and supports document upload, event notification, and `group` management.
- Blackboard: Commercial course website software; can also create a free course on their site.
- Claroline: An easy to use, open source software package based on PHP/MySQL.
- CyberProf: Collection of tools to create and manage online courses.
- Fle3: Future Learning Environment is open-source web-based software for computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL).
- Generation21 Enterprise: An open architecture, open standard learning environment. The clients are web-based.
- IBT-Server: Flexible XML based learning management system. Available in 6 languages.
- ILIAS: An open source LMS for Web-based training in higher education. The system consists of an authoring tool for creating courses, personal desktops, mail/forum systems, `group` system and administration. (Link is the English-version site)
- Interact: An open source platform for online learning and collaboration developed by the Christchurch College of Education.
- IntraKal: Web based course environment featuring communication, online grading, student tracking, and content delivery.
- Janison Toolbox: Commercial course website package of individual components, designed for the Microsoft Windows platform.
- Jones e-education: A full-featured online course manager developed at Jones International University (JonesKnowledge.com).
- Knowledge Environment for Web-based Learning: KEWL is an Open Source learning management system for the Microsoft Windows platform. It's easy to use and free, with many features.
- Knowledge Forum: allows users to create a knowledge-building community. Each community creates their own database in which they can store notes and connect ideas. It features a web client or alternatively clients for Mac and Win platforms.
- LogiCampus: An open source educational platform (in PHP) from Tap Internet that provides a single sign-on for students, faculty, and staff of an institution to a variety of tools for collaboration and content creation.
- Lotus LearningSpace: Web course authoring, delivery and management environment from IBM.
- Moodle: A free, open-source PHP web application for producing modular internet-based courses that support a modern social constructionist pedagogy. Easy to install, use and maintain on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X platforms.
- OLAT: Online Learning And Testing. Olat is an online learning platform, being developed at the university of Zuerich, Switzerland. It is available as GPL'ed open source software.
- Online Instructor Suite: An integrated suite of software for adding and managing dynamic educational content on a website.
- Open Knowledge Initiative: OKI is an architecture for learning management systems being designed by a consortium of universities and organisations that includes MIT, Stanford and Harvard.
- Pythos: A commercial system designed to facilitate productive learning conversations between individuals. It functions as a testing or surveying mechanism between instructors and students.
- The Dialogue Project: A web-based collaborative communication tool that supports the building of learning communities. It encourages collaboration and information sharing among the learning communities in order to promote conversation, scholarship, and understanding.
- The Manhattan Virtual Classroom: An open source web-based virtual classroom system (written in C) that includes modules for discussion, chat, syllabus, handouts, assignments, grades, and private email.
- TopClass: Web-based training authoring, delivery and management. The authoring environment is entirely Web based.
- Virtual-U: a customizable virtual campus for distributed learning. It is entirely web based and supports multiple languages.
- WebCT: Web Course Tools - WBT authoring, delivery and management. Reseller of web "courselets". Authoring environment is entirely Web based.
- dotLRN: An open source e-learning system developed at MIT, based on AOLserver and OpenACS.
- eCollege.com: Makers of eCourse, a course website toolkit, a smaller version called eToolkit (available for free), and eCollege Campus.