Search Home : Reference : Libraries : Digital
- 75th Anniversary of the Free Library of Philadelphia: Special collection of over 225 texts and images covering local architecture, history and African American architects.
- AGF Library: Contains mainly religious and mythological books and texts with some multimedia files, using a bulletin board format.
- Alexandria Digital Library Project: Digital map collections at the University of California Santa Barbara.
- American Memory: Site hosted by the Library of Congress as a gateway to online collections of the history and culture of the United States, totaling more than 7 million digital items.
- Atmopsheric Visualization Collection: Atmospheric data collection focusing on data from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program's Southern Great Plains (SGP) site, provided by the National Science Digital Library. The site includes an image archive and educational support material.
- Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE: Program information, resources, and access to digital collections.
- Brigham Young University Digital Media Library: The public access interface of this online `resource` allows browsing or searching of university publications, including theses and the Mormon Studies Index.
- CHILDE Project: Children's Historical Literature Disseminated throughout Europe is a project, funded under the European Commission's Culture 2000 programme, which has created a collection of images from early children's books.
- California Digital Library (CDL): Provides access to scholarly materials, databases of journal article abstracts and citations, electronic journals, publishing tools, and reference databases for the University of California. The CDL also builds collections and provides public access to cultural heritage materials though a variety of innovative programs.
- Canada's Digital Collections: Collections include over 600 web sites covering Canadian history, geography, science, technology and culture, ranging from national treasures to local history. The site features educational resources, such as curriculum units, classroom activities, quizzes and games. Also available in French.
- Carrie Electronic Library: Collection of full-text electronic academic works related to Asian studies.
- Celtic Digital Library: Contains digital links, artwork and information about the Celtic society from 400 B.C to 1500 A.D and Celtic Reconstruction of today.
- Center for Retrospective Digitization: Access to the digital collections at the Lower Saxony State and University Library Göttingen, Germany, including the Gutenberg Bible, travel literature and North Americana from the 18th and 19th centuries, DIEPER (Digitized European Periodicals), historical mathematics materials, and Goethe illustrations.
- Central and Eastern European Online Library (CEEOL): A paid subscription service providing access to articles, scholarly journals, electronic books and re-digitized documents from cultural and scientific publications related to central and eastern Europe.
- CiteSeer: The NEC Research Institute Scientific Literature Digital Library: Aims to improve the dissemination and feedback of scientific literature, and to provide improvements in functionality, usability, availability, cost, comprehensiveness, efficiency, and timeliness. Rather than creating just another digital library, CiteSeer provides algorithms, techniques, and software that can be used in other digital libraries. CiteSeer indexes Postscript and PDF research articles on the Web, and provides a number of special features.
- Colorado Digitization Project: A collaborative initiative to provide access to the unique collections of Colorado's archives, historical societies, libraries, and museums.
- Danish Electronic Research Library: Links to subject-specific portals, databases, and link collections, as well as access to the catalogs and home pages of participating research libraries. Site in Danish or English, but many of the linked resources are in Danish only.
- Digital Archive for Chinese Studies (DACHS): Based at the Institute of Chinese Studies at the University of Heidelberg (Germany), the collection includes websites, e-journals, films, snapshots of discussion boards, and single documents covering social and political subject matters.
- Digital Bridges: Collection of historical bridge design manuals, images and books from Lehigh University.
- Digital Collections: National Library of New Zealand: Provides access to text, images, photographs, newspaper articles, audio and video collections as well as virtual exhibits. Bilingual site (Maori and English).
- Digital Library Network for Engineering and Technology (DLNET): A collaborative effort by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE), Iowa State University (ISU) and Virginia Tech (VATECH) to provide a platform for posting, reviewing and accessing learning resources in Engineering and Technology and a gateway to education and research materials.
- Digital Library Project: A University of Pennsylvania selection of digital library collections, exhibits, and finding aids prepared by digital librarians. Site includes information on tools and technology.
- Digital Library of Information Science and Technology (DLIST): Developed by the School of Information Resources and Library Science and the Arizona Health Sciences Library at the University of Arizona using Open Archives Initiative (OAI) compliant Eprints v.2 software.
- Digital Projects at the University of Illinois: Information and access to the digital collections at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Digital Research Library (DRL): Text-based collections, photographs, map images, finding aids, databases, audio-visual material, and bibliographic catalogs of collections to aid the research of scholars, historians, faculty, and students at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Digital Resources & Exhibitions: Special collections at Case Western Reserve University, including medieval manuscripts and items from the US 1930s Works Projects Administration era.
- Digital South Asia Library: Materials related to South Asia, including maps, statistics, photographs, and official publications.
- Ethnomathematics Digital Library: Collection of links and papers covering the interaction of mathematics and culture, with emphasis on the indigenous mathematics of the Pacific region.
- Everglades Digital Library: Access to the digital collections at Florida International University. Relates to the south Florida environment
- Flora and Fauna of the Great Lakes: Provides access to materials including including books, images and databases selected from Fish and Mammal Divisions of the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology and the Fungus Collections of the University of Michigan Herbarium.
- Illinois Alive: Includes text and images about agriculture and business; early Illinois authors; and issues facing minorities, immigrants, and women. Also includes an introduction to 19th century Illinois, tools for educators, and a timeline.
- Images from the Heritage Collection of the State Library of Tasmania: A searchable database of images from the Heritage Collection of the State Library of Tasmania, Australia.
- Indiana University Digital Library Program: Provides access to text, images, maps and audio collections as well as virtual exhibits. The site includes information on digitization projects and links to further resources.
- Internet Archive: A digital library of internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form.
- Internet Moving Image Archive: A collection of hundreds of short films in MPEG-2 format
- IntraText Digital Library: A multilingual, open access and XML-based digital library offering texts and corpora in 36 languages from religions, humanities, and research.
- Inventory of Canadian Digital Initiatives: Provides descriptions of Canadian information resources created for the Internet, including general digital collections, resources centered around a particular theme, and reference sources and databases.
- Iran Virtual Library: Nonpartisan archive of social, political, economic and cultural documents pertaining to Iran. Edited by Frederick Nemani, a professor at South Bank University, London.
- Kentucky Virtual Library: Online catalogs and databases, online tutorial and help with internet-based research, a virtual reference desk, and access to Kentuckiana digitized collections, serving Kentuckians and supporting the Kentucky Commonwealth Virtual University.
- Kibbutz Sasa Virtual Library: Online bibliographical and image search service in Hebrew only, which also retains an "expert searcher" for locating online sources of information.
- Library of California: Details the Library's services to local libraries, state and local government and the public as well as links to California Research Bureau papers online, LDS publications, the California Library Directory and other useful information.
- Library of Virginia Digital Library Program: Provides access to multiple databases and millions of digital images of text, photographs and maps pertaining to the history and culture of Virginia.
- Life in Western Pennsylvania 1840 -1970: Historic photographic collection provided by the library and archives of the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. The site also covers the local history of photography and information on the care and handling of photographs.
- Medieval Illuminated Manuscripts: Presents the collection of the Dutch Royal Library and the Museum Meermanno-Westreenianum in The Hague. Highlights and database with images and backgrounds.
- Mylib's Knowledge Portal: A portal to on-line dictionaries and reference works. Some emphasis on Malaysian society.
- NICI Virtual Library: The National Institute for Community Innovations is based in Montpelier, Vermont and provides a subscription service for access to dictionaries, e-books, card catalogs, periodicals, and researched internet resources.
- NLS Digital Library: Special collections held by the National Library of Scotland including: The Murthly Hours medieval manuscripts, Experiences of War, Maps of Scotland, First Scottish Books, Scottish Decorative Bookbinding, Photographs of Modern Scottish Writers, Churchill, Robert Louis Stevenson, and The Last Letter of Mary Queen of Scots.
- NYPL Digital Library Collections: Collections provided by the New York Public Library covering Black culture and experience, history, literature, maps, New York City and State, performing arts, prints, and photographs.
- Nalanda Digital Library: Based at the National Institute of Technology, Calicut (NITC) in India. Open access is provided to selected collections of published papers, PhD theses, student projects, research reports, course materials, ebooks, etexts and Perl scripts.
- National Science Digital Library (NSDL): Comprehensive source for science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. Funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD): Catalog of theses and doctoral dissertations hosted by Virginia Tech contributed by some 176 Universities and 27 Institutions worldwide. Some entries may include abstracts and/or full-text attachments.
- New Zealand Digital Library (NZDL): Based at the University of Waikato, New Zealand. The site contains text, image and audio-visual collections; including historical documents, humanitarian and development information, computer science technical reports and bibliographies, literary works, and magazines.
- North Carolina History and Fiction Digital Library: Collection includes 200 texts and maps pertaining to the history of 29 counties in eastern North Carolina and works of fiction that relate to some of those counties. Historic soil surveys and maps with zooming capability are a unique feature of the site.
- Online Bilingual Library of Russian Literature: Collection of texts and audio, including works of Pushkin, Lermontov, Fet, Krylov, Esenin, Akhmatova and Chekhov provided by the Online Russian Language Center. Texts are available in Russian and English.
- Online Publications at the University of Stuttgart (OPUS): Collection of theses, dissertations, preprints, proceedings and full-text documents published in pdf format by staff and students of the University. Site also in German.
- Original Sources: Electronic library with works from history, the social sciences, philosophy, literature, and religion. Fee required for access.
- Perseus Digital Library: An evolving collection of resources for the study of the ancient world, including archaeology, atlas, texts and translations, text tools and lexica.
- Persian Digital Library: Texts in Farsi for major Persian authors and poets. Site is in English.
- Questia: Paid subscription service that provides access to a large online collection of books and journal articles in the humanities and social sciences, plus magazine and newspaper articles.
- Quinnipiac University: Arnold Bernhard Library Resources - E-Texts: Materials digitized by the university and links to materials available elsewhere.
- SAILOR: Maryland's Public Information Network: Provides public information for citizens of and visitors to Maryland, including resources for health, business, education, and history.
- Sagnanetið: Saganet project by the National and University Library of Iceland and Cornell University with the association of the ?rni MagnÃsson Institute in Iceland to provide the entire range of Icelandic family sagas and other works published before 1900 online. Site in English and Icelandic.
- San Fernando Valley History Digital Library: An image database of historically significant documents, manuscripts, photographs and related graphic materials of the San Fernando Valley. Administered by the State Librarian of California.
- Science Direct - Journals: An online library featuring fulltext journals from Academic Press and other scholarly publishers. Access by subscription.
- Simon Fraser University Library Electronic Document Centre: Promotes access to knowledge created at Simon Fraser University and makes some of the Library's unique holdings available to a wider audience.
- St Laurentius Digital Manuscript Library: A collection of scanned images of medieval manuscripts comprising 67 volumes, ranging from the 10th century to the 1640s provided by Lund University Library in Sweden.
- TAEVIS Online Home Page: Tactile access to education for visually impaired students.A collection of 2,500 tactile diagrams covering college-level course.In either braille or low-vision format, for sale to subscribers
- The Digital Mirror: The welsh national collection of manuscripts, early and rare printed books, antiquarian maps, and diverse images at The National Library of Wales. Site includes online exhibitions and information about the digitisation program.
- The Digital Reading Room (DRR): An Athabasca University Library project. The DRR is an interactive online reading room, offering a digital solution for course readings and supplementary materials. It has been designed to provide access to faculty-selected resources and can accommodate a range of formats, including online journal articles, electronic books, audio or video clips, web sites and learning objects.
- The Gateway to Northwestern Ontario History: Collection includes photographs, books, drawings and artifacts. Site in English with French version under development.
- The International Children's Digital Library (ICDL): A 5-year project by the Internet Archive and the University of Maryland's Human-Computer Interaction Lab to develop a library using innovative software specifically for children.
- The Online Archive of California: This union database of manuscripts and images from institutions across California is comprised of over 5,000 archival finding aids encoded using Encoded Archival Description (EAD) standard and the SGML document type definition. Part of the California Digital Library.
- There is Such a Thing as a Free Lunch: Freely Accessible Databases for the Public: Article by Sandy Lewis containing a list of databases that produce a list of citations to scientific literature, published in Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship.
- UCEEL Digital Library: Based at the University of Central England. Collections include past exam papers, book chapters, journal articles, student projects and a special collection on contemporary jewellery.
- University of Chicago Digital Library Activities: Text, image, audio and special collections in the humanities and the arts.
- University of Michigan Digital Library Production Service: The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS) was formed in 1996 to provide infrastructure for campus digital library collections, including both access and delivery of collection content.
- University of Tennessee Digital Library Center: Promotes the development of a growing collection of digital content for the University community and the State of Tennessee.
- University of Tennessee-Martin Andy Holt Virtual Library: Focus is on the humanities and fine arts, with access to local and world library catalogs, electronic journals, databases, virtual reference desk, digitized documents, and departmental resources. Partners with the physical Paul Meek Library to provide face to face services.
- University of Texas System Digital Library: Supporting the learning and research needs of the University of Texas Telecampus and University of Texas System students and faculty on campus and at a distance.
- University of Wisconsin Digital Collections: List of collections, and links to collections at various UW branches.
- Uysal-Walker Archive of Turkish Oral Narrative (ATON): Collection of written (PDF) and spoken (MP3) texts in several Turkic languages at Texas Tech University.
- VIVA, The Virtual Library of Virginia: Information on this library consortium of shared digital collections.
- Victorian Women Writers Project: A collection of text, essays, and fiction written during the Victorian period, by women writers.
- Washington State Digital Library Resources: Text, image, archive and local history collections. Site includes best practice guide and Digital Imaging Initiative project pages.
- Worthington Memory: Online history scrapbook of Worthington, Ohio.
- eCUIP : The Digital Library Project: A browsable and searchable digital library of materials for K-12 teachers and students.
- ibiblio: A collaboration of the Center for the Public Domain and The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill to provide public domain material, organised by subject and UDC (Universal Decimal Classification) including journals, ebooks and a special collection of linux programs and documentation.
This category in other languages: