Search Home : Reference : Libraries : Library and Information Science : Library History
- 'Not Only Suitable, But Specially Attractive': Views of women in British librarianship throughout the twentieth century.
- American Library Association Library History Round Table: Details of awards, archive of newsletters and cumulative bibliography.
- American Women's History, A Research Guide: Librarianship: Bibliography of print and online sources.
- Archives of lis-libhist: Mailing list associated with the Library History Group. Searchable logs and subscription information.
- Boots Booklovers' Library: Official history of this British subscription library.
- Branch Libraries in the Bronx: A History with Selected Photographs: Illustrated history of the New York Public Library branches.
- Brief History of Library Instruction in the United States of America: Paper summarizing the development of bibliographic instruction in academic libraries.
- CILIP Library History Group: Details of the activities and publications of this section of the Chartered Institute for Library and Information Professionals.
- Celebrating Women's Achievements: Women in Canadian Librarianship and Bibliography: Biographical sketches of pioneers in library work and Canadiana.
- Celebrating a Century of Service to Children: Article from Illinois Libraries which examines the history of the Children's Services Department at the Champaign Public Library from 1899-1999.
- Computer Applications in Libraries: Special issue of Annals of the History of Computing dedicated to library automation. Abstracts and some free articles. [PDF]
- Exeter Free Library: Public Meeting, 1869: Recreation of the debate which introduced a tax-supported library in Exeter, England.
- Fortunate Son: the ALA and Librarianship 1968-1980: Memoirs of a period of change in United States libraries and the American Library Association against a background of social upheaval.
- Highlights from the Columbia University Library Science Library Vertical Files, 1832-1994: Ephemera from the American Library Association archives.
- History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries: Biographical material, photographs and details of his benefactions in Pennsylvania.
- IFLA Round Table on Library History: The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions' forum for library history of international or generally applicable importance. Statement of aims, newsletters, minutes and contact information.
- Images from the 1876 Report: Selected accounts from the Bureau of Education report 'Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management'.
- Infography about Library Instruction -- History: Sources recommended by a librarian whose research specialty is the history of library instruction.
- Intellectual Freedom Within the Profession: A Look Back at Freedom of Expression and the Alternative Library Press: Overview by Toni Samek of early radical library publications focusing on Synergy, Alternatives In Print and Prejudices And Antipathies.
- International Bibliographic Instruction Activities in the 20th Century: A Literature Review: Literature review examining the development of bibliographic instruction around the world.
- Jefferson's Legacy: A Brief History of the Library of Congress: Official guide to the development of its role as a national library, with descriptions of its buildings, a timeline of acquisitions and a list of Librarians of Congress.
- Libraries & Culture: Refereed journal devoted to the history of 'collections of recorded knowledge'. Full text of several issues, index and editorial information. Previously the Journal of Library History.
- Libraries Today: History of libraries in Canada and particularly Ontario with annotated photographs, texts and biographies of librarians.
- Libraries: History of the Private, Royal, Imperial, Monastic and Public Libraries: Exhibition covering civilizations from the ancient world to the Renaissance.
- Library History: Refereed British journal associated with the Library History Group. Editorial information and abstracts.
- Library History Database: The British Isles to 1850: Directory with summary information arranged geographically and by type of library.
- Library Instruction Outside North America in the 20th Century: Site examines international library instruction efforts in the last century. Includes a bibliography.
- Littlehampton Library Past and Present: Illustrated history of this Carnegie library in Sussex, England, through the 20th century.
- Man and Boy: Modifying Masculinities in Public Librarianship, 1850-1950: Analysis of male librarians' professional relationships exemplified by British Freemasons. [PDF]
- Melvil Dewey: Father of Librarianship: Biography of Dewey concentrating on his role in library history.
- Over 100 Years of Progress: Chronology of key historical events in United States libraries, from the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: Librarian's Lives: Survey of biographical anecdotes about British librarians by Liz Chapman. [PDF]
- Public Library History London 1850-1900: The history of public libraries in London in the 19th Century compared with other cities.
- Santa Cruz County Local History: Libraries and Schools: Illustrated articles on the public library system, Carnegie libraries and schools in Santa Cruz, California.
- South Carolina Library History Project: All aspects of librarianship in the state, including histories of public, private and academic institutions, biographies and recollections, and special exhibits.
- Survivor: The History of the Library: Article from History Magazine reviewing the evolution of libraries.
- The Davies Project at Princeton University: Research into the History of University Libraries in the United States and the History of their Collections: Database of United States libraries in existence before 1876, searchable by location and type.
- The Dusty Bookshelf: Selection of articles dating from the beginning of librarianship as a profession.
- The Georgia Library History Project: Bibliographic directory with some full-text articles on the history of libraries in the state. Searchable by city, county or institution.
- The Gerould Statistics 1907/08-1961/62: A Historical Compilation of Data from Academic Libraries in the United States and Canada: Annual statistics on size, staffing and expenditure with detailed notes on the methodology of compilation.
- The Histories of Central Vermont's Libraries: Accounts of public libraries in several small towns.
- The Illinois State Library: 1818-1870: Provides an article from Illinois Libraries that details the history of the Illinois State Library in the 19th Century.
- The Infography about Public Libraries -- United States -- History: Sources recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of U.S. public libraries.
- The Mysterious Fate of the Great Library of Alexandria: Analysis of the varying accounts of the library's destruction by fire.
- The Order of Books: Facsimile of Thomas Jefferson's manuscript prescribing the arrangement of his personal library, later to form the nucleus of a Library of Congress classified according to his scheme.
- Theological Libraries: Historical Sources: Full-text essays on monastic libraries and theological librarianship, principally in the Christian tradition.
- Vanished Library: History of the Library of Alexandria: Tells of the myth and history of the ancient Library of Alexandria, and also covers the topics of the mystery of destruction and the new library. Also quiz, personal presentation outline, and sources/links.
- Women in the History of American Librarianship: Biographical impressions of influential female librarians with portraits and bibliographical references.