Search Home : Science : Agriculture : Sustainable Agriculture
- ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service: A sustainable agriculture information center that provides technical assistance to farmers, market gardeners and extension agents on farming topics: sustainable, organic, alternative, crops, livestock, and pest control.
- Agroecology: An explanation of the principles of sustainable farming, the ways in which `resource` use can be minimised, and local biodiversity preserved.
- Allerton Research & Educational Trust: Offers a practical demonstration of the integration of game and wildlife conservation with profitable farming.
- Alternative Farming Systems Information Center: Directory of sites and documents about sustainable agriculture.
- Asian Rural Life Development Foundation: A training center for sustainable agriculture in the uplands, located in the southern part of the Philippines.
- Biologically Integrated Farming Systems in Rice: The objectives of the BIFS in Rice project are to demonstrate alternative rice production methods, promote sustainable agriculture, and monitor pesticide use and make information available.
- Biologicals Report: A study to see, if using trace elements or microbes as replacements for chemicals in feed, pest control, and fertilizer would be financially profitable. Includes summary report. Some pages in PDF format only.
- Bureau of Rural Sciences (BRS) - Australia: Provides scientific advice for the sustainable development of Australia's agricultural, fisheries and forestry industries.
- California Sustainable Agriculture Working Group: A coalition dedicated to promoting an ecologically sustainable and socially just food system. Describes `group` news, events and projects, and related headlines.
- Cemagref: Public agricultural and environmental research institute where work focuses on sustainable development in non-urban areas.
- Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems: A sustainable agriculture research center at the University of Wisconsin. Details of research, local involvement.
- Centre for Information on Low External Input and Sustainable Agriculture: Aims for poverty alleviation through the promotion of agro-ecological approaches. Includes a collection of links, book reviews, and other information.
- Cholderton Estate: An exercise in sustainable agriculture and farming in Hampshire, UK. Estate and family history, estate map, wildlife, crops, organic farming, livestock including Hampshire Down sheep, and Cleveland Bay horses.
- Conservation Technology Information Center (CTIC): Nonprofit information and data-transfer center promoting economically and environmentally beneficial agriculture and natural `resource` management. Located in Indiana, USA.
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Center: Mission is to increase understanding of plant biology; apply new knowledge to help sustain productivity in agriculture, forestry and allied fields; facilitate the rapid development and commercialization of promising technologies and products; contribute to the education and training of students, scientists and technicians from around the world.
- Earthwise Resources Development Australasia: A demonstration site for sustainable agriculture. Details of the site, courses in permaculture, location.
- Finca Loma Linda: Organization offers research, internships and community assistance with conservation, ecology, marketing and development within the Colo Brus region of Costa Rica.
- GSC Sustainable Agriculture Project in Tanzania: Project by Global Service Corps (GSC), to develop sustainable farming in the Eastern Province.
- Grace Factory Farm Project: Information, ideas, and strategies for activists opposed to factory farming. Topics cover the environmental, health, economic, social and animal welfare costs of large-scale animal production, as well as trends toward sustainable alternatives to factory farms.
- Grazing Management - An Ecological Perspective: Publication edited by Rodney Heitschmidt and Jerry Stuth. Out of print.
- Iowa State University - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Program: Provides information on events, research, education, links, funding sources, relevant to Iowa.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture: The center's objectives are to reduce negative impacts of agriculture on natural resources and rural communities, to develop profitable farming systems that conserve natural resources, and to inform the public of new research findings.
- Long-Term Research on Agricultural Systems: Based at UC Davis, LTRAS is a long-term comparison of 10 conventional, organic and alternative cropping systems, both irrigated and nonirrigated.
- Mindanao Baptist Rural Life Center: Information about the center, its activities, and sustainable farming systems.
- Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture: Partnership between the College of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Sciences at the University of Minnesota and the Sustainers' Coalition. Cooperative effort to develop and promote sustainable agriculture.
- OPIRG Sustainable Agriculture Forum: Collects and disseminates information about sustainable agriculture and advocates for agricultural research in the public interest.
- Peace Models: Offers consulting services and literature in sustainable agriculture. Page includes information about the director and a few online articles.
- Protected Harvest: Independently certifies and labels farmers' use of stringent environmental and sustainable growing standards.
- Regional Information Service Center for Southeast Asia on Appropriate Technology: Resource on appropriate technologies in the fields of sustainable agriculture, waste management, textiles and renewable energy, primarily in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Yunnan.
- SEA News: Australian newsletter for social and bioeconomic research on sustainability and economics in agriculture. Contents of past issues, and online articles.
- Seed Balls: Information on the making and use of seed balls in natural farming, plus other essays on biodiversity, sustainable agriculture, and other environmental issues.
- Small Farmer's Journal - Practical Horse Farming: A journal in support of independent family farmers. Offering information on the use of animal-power, organics and sustainable agriculture. Lynn Miller is editor and publisher
- Social Accountability in Sustainable Agriculture: Describes objectives, which are to improve social auditing processes in agriculture. Also organisational details and partner information.
- Society for Development of Appropriate Technology: Established in 1985 with the aim of developing and promoting low cost post harvest technologies appropriate for use at the village level. Uttar Pradesh.
- Sustain: the Alliance for better food and farming: Advocates food and agriculture policies and practices that enhance the health and welfare of people and animals, improve the working and living environment, promote equity and enrich society and culture.
- Sustainable Agriculture Educational Project: Description on how to maintain soil fertility and how to reduce pH, soil erosion, pesticide use and salt levels. Links to other sustainable agriculture pages.
- Sustainable Agriculture Network: Information on sustainable agriculture for producers. Grants available for sustainable agriculture projects.
- Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Livelihoods: Works to develop more effective and equitable forms of agriculture and natural `resource` management.
- Sustainable Agriculture, Policy Research Centre for - Steunpunt Duurzame Landbouw: A policy supporting research partnership between Ghent University and K.U.Leuven concerning sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Animal Production: Workshops, Discussion, Resources: Download the proceedings of a series of conferences (held October 1999 through October 2000) on future supply and quality of food for humans and animals, animal welfare and health, the effects of animal production on the environment, the influences of new technologies, future animal production sites and global trade.
- Sustainable Nutrient Management in Agriculture: Advisory software for consultants and extension workers to provide farmers with sustainable nutrition advice for their crops and cropping systems (organic and ecological farming).
- Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture: Promotes improved and sustainable farming through better cultivation methods and crop diversification.
- The Introduction of New Crops to Arid and Saline Zones: Describes potential new crops, and lost crops, for arid and saline areas, exchanged and field tested by two agricultural environmental schools in Israel and Morocco.
- The Land Institute: Aims to develop an agricultural system with the ecological stability of natural grasslands, as well as a high grain yield.
- The National Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture: Dedicated to educating the US public on the importance of a sustainable food and agriculture system that is economically viable, environmentally sound, socially just, and humane.
- The Rodale Institute: Details of research and promotion of sustainable farming practices.
- Tilth Producers: A Chapter of Washington Tilth Association, fosters and promotes ecologically sound sustainable agriculture in the interest of environmental preservation, human health and social equity.
- University of California Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program: Searchable site with topics including "what is sustainable agriculture?", biologically integrated farming systems, cover crops, earthworms, soil quality, and sustainable agriculture courses, workshops, and events.
- Washington Sustainable Food and Farming Network: A grassroots, statewide advocacy organization for sustainable agriculture and family farms in Washington State. Mission, programs, links.
- What is Sustainable Agriculture?: A detailed account of how sustainable agriculture integrates environmental health, economic profitability, and social and economic equity. From UC Davis.