Search Home : Science : Astronomy : Software
- Approximate Astronomical Positions: Calculations including coordinate conversion, position and circumstances of the Moon, and positions of the planets. Designed for programmable calculators, spreadsheets and illustrative applications where high accuracy is not needed.
- AstroMB: Advanced software for astrometry, photometry, robotic observations. Huge database of images and catalogs. Works with MaximDL and ASCOM. Free downloads.
- AstroTips - Astronomy Freeware and Shareware: Information on selected astronomy free software. Read a comment, see a screenshot and download.
- Astronomy Common Object Model (ASCOM): Promoting the use of open scriptable tools for amateur and educational astronomy.
- Astronomy Explorer: A full-length academic approved course in astronomy on CD-ROM that studies the universe, stars, galaxies, quasi-stellar objects and blacks holes, and our Solar System.
- Astronomy Formulas: Lunar and solar periodicity formulas, definitions, time formulas, notation, astronomical constants with computer code for a programmable HP 48 by James Q. Jacobs.
- Astronomy Software Resources: Discover links and resources for astronomy software for amateur and professional astronomers and for people interested in astronomy, stargazing and space.
- Astronomy-related software: A list of many astronomy-related programs.
- Cartes du Ciel / Sky Charts: Freeware allowing one to draw charts according to the data of 15 catalogs of stars and nebulae, as well as the position of planets, asteroids, and comets. Available in English and is translated in 8 other languages.
- Computing planetary positions: a detailed online tutorial on how to compute planetary positions.
- Computing planetary positions: a tutorial with worked examples.
- Deepsky 2000: [commercial - Windows] Observation planning software for astronomers. Includes telescope control, logging, and charting.
- EVCODE: A stellar evolution simulator designed for astronomy education.
- Engineering, Science and Math Applications on Linux: A large indexed collection of pointers to Linux applications.
- GeoClock: [shareware MS-W] Sunlight clock with world times and sun and moon positions and coverage.
- Hubble Space Telescope -- Wallpaper: [commercial - Win95/98/NT] Thirty full-screen Hubble photos for use as wallpaper and screen saver.
- Kairos General Calendar Conversion Program: [commercial, demo available -- Win95/98/NT] Includes calendars required by historians of astronomy and general historians. Many details are provided for Indian and Jewish calendars and much besides. There is also a display of positions of the Sun, Moon and planets, effectively replacing Tuckerman's tables. A horoscope display, and details of lunar visibility, are calculated from modern parameters.
- Ksetiwatch: Ksetiwatch monitors multiple SETI@home clients and automatically logs and manages completed work units.
- Linux for Astronomy cdrom: [commercial - Linux] The new release of Linux for Astronomy includes over 3Gb of Astronomical software precompiled for the Linux (x86) operating system. Applications include a wealth of general purpose image and signal processing tools, as well as the state-of-the-art algorithms in use at observatories and universities worldwide. Facilities for processing the data products of the major space-based instruments (Hubble Space Telescope, EUV, Einstein, ROSAT, and IUE) are also included.
- LinuxAstro: Astronomical software on Linux.
- Lunar Calendars and Eclipse Finder: Windows software for converting dates in various lunar and other calendars and for finding lunar phases and eclipses of various kinds.
- Nightfall: [open source - Linux/Unix] Interactive program for computing synthetic lightcurves and generating animated views and best-fit models of eclipsing binary stars.
- Orrery: Review of the solar system simulator (by Spacetech) for RISC OS workstations.
- RISC OS astronomy software links: [commercial & freeware - RISC OS] Direct links to astronomy software available for RISC OS.
- Sky and Telescope -- Astronomical Software: Links to the BASIC programs that appeared in Sky & Telescope, to shareware/freeware astronomy related software and to vendors of astronomy software.
- The Salopian Web: Software links for astronomers professional, education and amateur. Planetaria, sky charts, and databases for PC, MAC and UNIX/LINUX platforms.
This category in other languages: