Search Home : Science : Biology : Sociobiology
- A reduction of "Species": Online paper by Jody Hey,Department of Genetics, Rutgers University.
- About.com - Konrad Lorenz: Short biography of Lorenz focuses on his research into innate animal behavior and his book "On Aggression."
- Against Sociobiology: Tom Bethell speculates on what future generations will make of the controversy surrounding human sociobiology.
- Animal behavior and sociobiology courses: Research and teaching in animal and human behavior by Dr. Paul J. Watson, University of New Mexico and Flathead Lake Biological, Montana. Field courses, graduate and independent study student supervision, and workshops.
- Archive site for Kenan Malik: Essays, papers, lectures and reviews on Darwinism, evolutionary psychology, race, philosophy and history. Also extracts from Kenan Malik's books 'Man, Beast and Zombie' and 'What is it to be Human?'.
- Archives of SOCIOBIO@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU: Archives of mailing list "Discussing the Evolutionary Approach to Human Development."
- Behavioural Ecology Research Group, Oxford: Research `group` studying animal learning, memory, and decision-making, using experimental psychology and evolutionary biology as tools. Department of Zoology, University of Oxford.
- CogPrints: Sociobiology: Original scientific papers on the subject.
- Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence: Chapter one of the book by Richard Wrangham and Dale Petersen.
- Department of Zoology II: Sociobiology and Ethology site, featuring research on the evolution of altruistic behavior of insects. University of Würzburg.
- Digit Ratio: A Pointer to Fertility, Behavior and Health by John T. Manning: Michael Mills examines the claim that digit ratio allows us infer whether an individual is likely to have homosexual inclinations, be highly fertile, may eventually suffer from a heart attack or breast cancer, have musical aptitude or sporting prowess, and a surprisingly long list of other characteristics.
- Exorcising Sociobiology: Biologist Paul Gross on the relationship between sociobiology and recent scandals in anthropology.
- Great Ideas in Personality - Evolutionary Psychology and Sociobiology: Includes links to research papers, web sites, and other reference sources.
- History of Sociobiology: A brief historical perspective from Southern Arkansas University.
- Human Genetics for the Social Sciences: Text, figures, and learning exercises in human behavioral genetics
- International Society for Humanethology (ISHE): Scholarly organization for sociobiologists, ethologists, and evolutionary psychologists. Includes links, archive, forum, and forthcoming conference calendar.
- Mary Midgley Webpage: A very thorough site, containing links to many full-text articles, on the long-standing critic of evolutionary psychology and sociobiology.
- Smithsonian Magazine - What's for Dinner?: Photographer Peter Menzel posed the Natomos, the Cavens and five other "statistically average" families with the food they eat in a week.
- Social caterpillars: The site deals with the evolution, ecology, and social behavior of caterpillar societies.
- Sociobiology: Explains major concepts of Sociobiology, including Ethology, Evolution, Attraction, Sexual Dimorphism, Imprinting, Kin Selection, Reciprocal Altruism, and Dominance Hierarchies. Contrasts the roles of Sociobiology and Culture.
- Sociobiology: Human Behavior and Evolution: A useful bibliography.
- Sociobiology: The New Religion: Dr. Richard J. Blackwell Department of Philosophy St. Louis University. This paper was presented at the ITEST Conference on The State of the Art in March, 1980. Dr. Blackwell is well versed in the philosophy of science and has written many papers on various aspects of that field.
- Springer LINK: Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology: Tables of contents and article abstracts from this Springer-Verlag journal. Complete article texts are available in PDF format to print subscribers.
- The Desmond Morris Information Page: Zoologist/anthropologist studying the evolutionary origins of human behavior.
- The Importance of Being Flashy: Article from International Wildlife Magazine discusses exaggerated ornamentation as an indicator of reproductive fitness.
- The Purpose of Life: The Purpose of Life is summarised. This is a book on the philosophy of values and ethics from a viewpoint of evolution or sociobiology.
- The Pythagorean Perspective: The Arts and Sociobiology: A paper exploring the idea that cultural evolution is a manifestation of biological evolution.
- William Hamilton: Obituary for the evolutionary biologist who explained how selfish genes could produce altruism.