Search Home : Science : Environment : Forests and Rainforests
- Rainforestweb.org: A comprehensive world rainforest information portal with well organized links and descriptions of thousands of rainforest related websites. Plus rainforest news, and actions.
- APFT: Multi-disciplinary project sponsored by the European Community which aims to investigate and document the future of the peoples of the rainforest. Involves over 30 researchers in the Caribbean, central Africa and the southwestern Pacific. Site is for the use of anthropologists and others to promote wider access to information concerning the earth's rainforests and its people.
- African Blackwood Conservation Project: A non-profit organization devoted to replanting this threatened species in Tanzania. Blackwood is the premier wood of choice for fine concert-quality woodwind instruments, and the tree plays a vital role in the ecology of the East African savannah.
- Alaska Rainforest Campaign: Coalition of regional and national environmental groups working to protect and restore the last great expanse of temperate rain forest in North America. Site includes information about forests and rainforests.
- Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn Programme: The Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn Programme works on two interlinked global problems: rural poverty and the environmental effects of deforestation in the humid tropics.
- Amazon Conservation Team: Focus on cultural aspects - ACT is dedicated to creating new conservation strategies by combining indigenous knowledge with Western science to understand, document and preserve the biological and cultural diversity of the Amazon.
- Amazon Tree Diversity Network: Biodiversity mapping and modeling of the pan-Amazon (Amazonia and the Guyana Shield). Developing spatial model of tree á-diversity of the area. With diversity maps, discussion and methods.
- Ancient Forest Exploration and Research: Information and research about Ontario's remaining old-growth forest ecosystems, including where to see them and how to help conserve them.
- Asia Pacific Forest Certification Information: A forest certification service aims to develop a certification information network to educate stakeholders and promote certification in East Asia and the Pacific.
- Audubon Sanctuary, Francis Beidler Forest: National Audubon Society wildlife Sanctuary, one of the lartest virgin blackwater cypress-tupelo swamp forest left in the world (11,000+ acres).
- BIOTA-AFRICA: A German-supported (mega)transect study of the Biodiversity of West Africa (Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Benin), East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda), and Southern Africa (Namibia and South Africa).
- Be Woods Wise! - The Maine Forest Service: The Maine Forest Service, shares your vision for beautiful, healthy and productive woodland. We respect your decisions, and can help put your decisions into action.
- Big Scrub Land Management Services: Provides information about the subtropical rainforests of eastern Australia and includes pictures of rainforest plants, strategies for rainforest regeneration and general land management advice.
- Bois et forets des tropiques: scientific review disseminating knowledge on tropical forest in french, english and spanish.
- British Columbia Ministry of Forests: An official government site about forest policy in British Columbia. Site also includes facts and data.
- British Trees: Guide to the native trees of Britain, plus links to other web resources on forestry and conservation of British Native trees, including forest conservation organizations.
- Citizens for Responsible Forest Management: CRFM is committed to preserving and enhancing the ecological stability of the Santa Cruz Mountains environment, especially wildlife habitat and watershed stability, water quality and all beneficial uses of water including fisheries.
- Cloud Forest Alive: Live cams of nesting quetzals and hummingbirds from the cloud forest of Costa Rica. Learn about the importance of preserving the biodiversity of the meso-American biological corridor.
- Daintree Rainforest: Guide to the Daintree region of Tropical North Queensland, Australia. Covers threats, ecological and aboriginal history, flora and fauna, climate and news.
- Decoding the Silent Lyrics of Rain Forests: The "Tree of Life" shows that animals and plants have a common primordial ancestor. A Nigerian scientist, Philip Emeagwali, argues that the rain forests are the untapped technological gold mines of the 21st century.
- Dry Rainforest Restoration and Rehabilitation Project: The Grafton Dry Rainforest Remnant is located on the lower slopes of the floodplain of the Clarence River north of Grafton. It is described as having very high conservation significance and is considered the best remaining dry rainforest remnant on the flood plain of the Lower Clarence.
- East Maui Watershed Partnership: EWMP works to protect East Maui's native Hawaiian rainforest and primary water source by building fenced exclosures and removing invasive species. Details of goals, projects, natural and cultural history of Maui's rainforests. Glossary of watershed management terms.
- East-West Forestry Associates, Inc.: California forest inventory data, GIS.
- Eastern Old-Growth Clearinghouse: News, announcements/alerts, summaries of selected scientific and general interest articles, and other information about old-growth forests in the eastern United States.
- Ecoforestry Notes: Journal dedicated to the art, science, philosophy, and practice of sustainable forestry in healthy forests. Selected contents of past issues.
- Ecological restoration of Scottish Wildwood: Carrifran Wildwood Project-begun on January 1st, 2000- is recreating an ancient woodland in 1600 acres of Southern Scottish upland valley
- Economics of Forest Protection and Management: Find out about the economics of forests in the Southern U.S. and beyond, including measuring the sustainability of forestry, valuing nonmarket benefits, estimating the response of landowners to policy and incentive programs, projecting future timber supplies, modeling land use changes and forest fragmentation, and the understanding the potentials of ecotourism and agroforestry.
- Environmental Protection Information Center (EPIC): Grassroots non-profit organization working to protect endangered species and forest ecosystems on California's North Coast. Site has information about the Headwaters Forest values and resources, and updates about the current status of protecting the endangered biodiversity of this coastal temperate rainforest.
- European Tropical Forest Research Network: Fosters research and public education. Features list of projects, information on workshops, funding opportunities and contacts.
- FAO Forestry Department: United Nations, Forests and forestry global portal.
- Finca Leola - Costa Rica Reforestation: Working with the people of Costa Rica and fellow plantation owners to make it possible for anyone to help in the fight against deforestation.
- Focus on Forests: Describes issues facing forests today. Aimed at 11-14 year olds studying for Keystage 3.
- Forest & Environment Forum: Bulletin Board on Forestry and the Environment. Forums on Environment, Land Use, Technology, Forestry, Funding, Research, Deforestation, policy, Economics, Poverty, Modeling, News ,Books, etc..
- Forest Action Network: Campaigns to save British Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest, the largest remaining temperate rainforest in the world through education, grassroots organizing, and non-violent direct action.
- Forest Conservation: Australian Bush Heritage Fund: Organisation that buys and then manages high-conservation private land in Australia as community-based conservation efforts.
- Forest Health: Forest health issues with public forum and free advice.
- Forest Puzzles: Pacific Northwest forests education site. At Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
- Forestry in the Appalachian Hardwoods of Kentucky: Information about forestry practice and forest conservation in this US state. Includes a sample timber cruise report, forest management workshop manual and measurements, state forest history, and ecology links.
- Forests Conservation Archives and Portal: Rainforest, Forest and Biodiversity Conservation News and Information.
- Forests Forever: An organization which protects and enhances the forests and wildlife habitat of California through educational, legislative and electoral activities.
- Forests Monitor: Contributes to the debate about sustainable forest management by collating and disseminating information on companies operating in the forestry sector around the world.
- Fruits of the Amazon Flora: Scientific descriptions and illustrations of fruits from over 500 species of Amazonian trees
- Fundacion Jocotoco: Information about rainforest reserves in Ecuador.
- Global Forest - Pure Science: Global Forest is a research-oriented, conservation biological organization. Our allegiance is to innovative, results-oriented solutions. Help ensure that basic forest science is a priority on the world's stage.
- Good Wood - Webguide: Guide on how to buy, sell and trade timber responsibly. Information on how consumers, traders, retailers, forest managers, governments and financial institutions can help stop bad practices like illegal logging and trade.
- Great Bear Rainforest: A non-profit, conservation and research society dedicated to ensuring the survival of wildlife in the Great Bear Rainforest, and thereby ensuring the protection of this ancient temperate rainforest.
- Guyana Forestry Commission: Contains reports on certification, sustainable forest management, silviculture, zoning, mangroves and social aspects of forestry based on the Guyana experience.
- International Society of Tropical Foresters: Committed to the protection, wise management and rational use of the world's tropical forests and promoting communication in tropical forestry disciplines. Includes notices of upcoming training and education opportunities plus organization information.
- International Union of Forestry Research Organizations: IUFRO Vienna Office site. IUFRO is a non-profit, non-governmental international network of forest scientists. Its objectives are to promote international cooperation in forestry and forest products research.
- Iracambi: Research in sustainable management, ecology and conservation of the Atlantic Brazilian Rainforest.
- Iwokrama International Centre for Rain Forest Conservation and Development: An autonomous international rain forest conservation, research and development organisation based in Guyana. It is set up to demonstrate how tropical forests can be sustainably managed and the biodiversity conserved. Activities in forest ecology, wildlife management, adventure tourism, carbon sequestration, participatory approaches and the use of technology such as GIS in decision making.
- Joint Forest Management in India: Information and analysis on various topics related to forest conservation in India, particularly initiatives to promote the joint cooperation of fringe forest user groups and the forest department.
- Jungle Photos: Educational site with a wide range of Amazon rainforest information and hundreds of photos: animals, plants, native people, scenery, space images, conservation, travel, art, related links, news updates.
- Las Nubes Neotropical Research Center: Las Nubes Neotropical Research and Conservation Center is located in southern Costa Rica. It is a joint project of the Faculty of Environmental Studies of York University in Toronto and the Tropical Science Center in San Jose. Its objectives are biodiversity protection, local community development, and environmental education.
- MN INteragency Information Cooperative: Forest data `resource` for Minnesota provided by an Inter-Agency information cooperative. Contains information on Minnesota's forested areas, impact study and other reports, programs, related resources and GIS data.
- Mamirau Sustainable Development Reserve: The Mamirau Project in Brazil, a non-profit NGO combining research and sustainable development.
- New Forest Life Project: Restoring Europe's ancient woods, heaths, wetlands and associated wildlife. Project based in the New Forest, Hampshire England.
- Non-timber forest products, Scotland: Site promoting the sustainable development and enjoyment of NTFPs, including databases of businesses and information resources.
- Nouabale-Ndoki National Park: Information about conservation and research at the Nouabale-Ndoki National Park, Congo, including the wildlife you can find there.
- ODI Forest Policy and Environment Group: FPEG seeks to inform the processes of policy change in tropical forestry in ways which improve the livelihoods and well-being of the forest-dependent poor, whilst also securing the long-term future of forest resources.
- PEFC - Pan European Forest Council: Promotes an internationally credible framework for forest certification schemes and initiatives in European countries.
- PEFC Watch: Finnish watchdog `group` focusing on the activities of Pan-European Forest Certification. Informs consumers of wood products on the ecological and social credibility of the PEFC-certificate from the perspective of Finnish environmental organizations.
- Palm oil - rainforest in your shopping: Demand for palm oil, a vegetable oil present in many of the goods we buy, is contributing to the destruction of the world's most precious rainforest. Information Report and actions from Friends of the Earth.
- Panacea Growth Ltd.: Project to promote teak reforestation in Belize.
- Parataxonomist Training Center: Research on insects and their relationship to plants of the rainforests of Papua New Guinea.
- Pax Natura a Costa Rica Rainforest: A private rainforest preserve in Costa Rica.
- Plant-It 2000 Foundation: Founded by singer John Denver, Plant-It 2000 is a nonprofit foundation dedicated to properly planting, maintaining and protecting as many indigenous trees as possible worldwide.
- RainTree: Resource database of rainforest plants including medicinal properties, preservation options, articles, and clinical trial data.
- Rainforest Action Network: Works to protect the Earth's rainforests and support the rights of their inhabitants through education, grassroots organizing, and non-violent direct action. The site encourages visitors to take action to protect the rainforests.
- Rainforest Concern - conserving and protecting threatened natural habitat,: Conserving and protecting threatened natural habitat, particularly rainforests and the biodiversity they contain in Ecuador, Sri Lanka, the Amazon, Costa Rica and other parts of Central and South America
- Rainforest live: Educational `resource` on rainforest especially for junior students and teachers. Includes some teaching ideas and plans, and notes from researchers. Created by Paignton Zoo, UK. Includes some Realplayer and Flash items.
- Resource Conservation Alliance: Non-profit encourages less wood consumption and the use of alternatives such as recycled fibers, straw, and industrial hemp.
- Resources for the Future Library: Forests: Research articles (PDF format) on forest policy and economics. Sample topics include global timber supply and markets; climate, El Nino and eastern U.S. forests; potential for carbon forest plantations; and achieving sustainable forestry through international agreements.
- Royal Forestry Society of England, Wales and Northern Ireland: The Royal Forestry Society is based in the UK and caters for all who care about forestry, forests, woodlands and trees, their husbandry and their future.
- Russian Forests: This English language site gives an overview of Russian forests, and the threats facing them. 22% of the world's forests are in Russia.
- SmartWood: Provides independent, objective evaluation of forest management practices, forest products, timber sources and companies, enabling the public to identify products and practices that do not destroy forests. Certification and use of the SmartWood label provides a commercial incentive for forest managers to adopt sustainable forestry practices.
- Southern Forest Resource Assessment: A multi-agency evaluation of the status of forest resources of the southern U.S., their productivity, ecological diversity and sustainability. Led by the USDA Forest Service.
- Sundarbans: An extensive collection of resources on conservation, and the ethnographic and social features of the Sundarbans region, Bengal.
- Sustainable Beech Forestry -- Maruia Forest: Describes the controversy about conservation-enhancing sustainable forest management in the beech and rimu forests of West Coast New Zealand. Contains prime scientific papers, letters to politicians, Press Releases, links to other sites.
- Sustainable Forestry & Certification Watch: SFCW aims at enhancing the understanding of forest certification, particuarly regarding sustainable forest management, international forest policy, trade in forest products and consumer choice.
- Tangaloa Wood: Encourages people to protect rainforests by using Tangaloa hardwood, a quality replacement for rain forest and old-growth forest woods.
- The Beech Scheme: This site contains material that largely supports the beech scheme -- a proposal to sustainably manage beech forests on 0.1 million hectares of New Zealand's 2.8 million hectare beech forest estate.
- The Bioesfera Project: About the First Spanish-Tropical Forest Biology-Archeology Workshop, in Guatemala in 1995. Site has information about rainforests and interactions of culture and environment.
- The Centre for Agricultural Research in Suriname: Brief information on the CELOS Forest Management System, Wood technology research and Forest Classification; based in Suriname.
- The Children's Rainforest Inc.: A student-teacher environmental conservation/education `group` whose mission is to protect endangered habitats in the tropics through school fundraising. Based in Canada.
- The Encyclopedia of Southern Appalachian Forest Ecosystems: Information on the ecology and management of southern Appalachian forest ecosystems. We have synthesized literature from thousands of sources to provide `resource` managers, land owners, researchers, students, and the public easy access to scientific knowledge about the forests of the southern Appalachians.
- The International Tropical Timber Organization: Set up by a treaty that is aiming to ensure that all tropical timber products traded internationally by member States originate from sustainably managed forests. The primary idea is to provide an effective framework for consultation among producer and consumer member countries on all aspects of the world timber economy within its mandate.
- The Native Forests of New Zealand: Learn about the various types and distinctive character of native forests in New Zealand; their unbroken lineage to the ancient forests of Gondwana and the impact of human activity on these forests. Includes images, references, links and books.
- The Rainforest Alliance: An international nonprofit organization dedicated to the conservation of tropical forests. Their mission is to develop and promote economically viable and socially desirable alternatives to rainforest destruction through education, research and cooperative partnerships with businesses, governments and local peoples.
- The Rainforest Site: Protect a piece of Rain Forest for free.
- Tongass Clearinghouse: Dedicated to the Celebration and Preservation of America's North Pacific Rainforest
- TreeWeb: The Natural History of Trees: The TreeWeb is devoted to the natural history of trees, including their biology, evolution, geography and utilization. Descriptions of tree families, genera and species are included.
- Trees for Life: A Scottish conservation charity dedicated to the regeneration and restoration of the Caledonian Forest in the Highlands of Scotland
- Trees for Life - Restoring the Caledonian Forest in the Highlands of Scotland: Information about Scottish Forests.
- Trees for the Future: International tree planting project, working through education around the world.
- Tropenbos International: Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam.
- Tropenbos International; Tropical forest research: Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam
- U.S. Non Timber Forest Product Website: Conservation and development information on commercial, recreational, and subsistence extraction of non-timber forest products (NTFP) in the United States with regards to cultural, ecological, economic, geographic, and political considerations.
- Virtual Tree Guide of the Guianas: An online `resource` for identification of specimens of tree species of the Guianas that are considered to be able to reach sizes over 10 cm DBH. Contains over 4000 specimens digitized at the Utrecht Herbarium and organised by genus and family (under APG-1 classification).
- WWF - Global Forest and Trade Network: The Network is committed to producing and purchasing forest products from well-managed forests and to supporting independent certification.
- Wood Consumption and Resource Conservation Alliance: This is a clearinghouse for techniques to reduce wood consumption and alternatives to virgin forest products, such as recycled, kenaf, hemp, agricultural residues and other biobased products.
- Working `group` socio-economics of forest use in the tropics and subtropics: scientific research projects on socio-economic and cultural aspects of forest use in tropical forests
- World Land Trust: UK based conservation charity. Site includes information about forest projects and resources for schools.
- information about many different facets of knowledge about trees and forests: Explores knowledge about trees, woodlands and forests and encourages action to preserve and increase tree-cover, sustainable lifestyles and economy. Special areas of focus are promoting UK tree-cover and community forestry, as well as researching British tree medicine and European tree traditions.