Search Home : Science : Environment : Mining
- Abandoned Mineral Lands in the U.S. National Parks: About the legacy of mining in the national parks, the environmental impacts of mining, and the hazards associated with abandoned mine lands. Many photos.
- CANMET Environment Laboratory: Canadian government institution that addresses the environmental concerns of the minerals and mining industries, including effluent processing, safe disposal of waste materials, and decommissioning of closed plants and mines.
- Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Mine Lakes: The Centre, located in Western Australia, is a research hub creating smart mine lakes that are of value to communities, the environment and the economy.
- Defenders of Weetootla: Activist site describes basis for opposition to magnesite open-cut mines in the Gammon Ranges National Park in South Australia.
- Environmental Processes that Affect Mineral Deposits in the Eastern United States: Describes USGS research efforts on environmental aspects of massive sulfide mineral deposits. These have a high potential for adverse environmental impact due to high sulfide content and low acid-buffering capacity of host rocks.
- Mercury Network - Hg-Net: Internet expert forum on the effects and environmental impacts of mercury use and abuse, with special emphasis on small-scale gold mining. [English and Spanish]
- MiMi-Mitigation of the environmental impact from mining waste: Swedish research programme directed to improve handling and remediation of mining waste, financed by the Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research.
- Mine Water Research at The University of Newcastle: About research on the hydrochemistry, hydrogeology, and treatment of mine effluents.
- Mineral Resources Forum: An Internet framework for international co-ordination on the theme of minerals, metals and sustainable development. News and information about mining and the environment world-wide.
- Mines and Communities Website: News and other information, including the Minewatch and Partizans archives, intended to empower activists and those affected by global mining trends, particularly in the Pacific region.
- Mining Calendar of Events: Worldwide database of conferences and exhibitions on mining and environment.
- No Crandon Mine: Site provides links to organizations opposed to, and information about, the proposed Wolf River Crandon mine in Wisconsin
- Oxfam Community Aid Abroad: The Mining Campaign: Monitoring Australian mining companies' impact on the environment and vulnerable communities.
- Reclamation of Phosphate Mining Sites: Nature of soils and commercial tree planting on phosphate mining clay settling pond areas. Explains challenges and procedures for achieving land reclamation of such artificially altered areas.
- Steep Rock Iron Mines Naturalization: Describes the successful restoration of an iron ore mine site in northwestern Ontario, Canada.
- Sudbury Soils Study - Sudbury, Ontario: A public process that will evaluate the levels of metals and chemicals such as nickel, copper, cobalt and arsenic in the local environment.
- U.S. EPA -- Mining Wastes: Acid rock drainage and other topics related to metals mining and the environment.
- USGS Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative: Detailed plans, pictures, data and reports of the USGS initiative to remediate the contamination left at abandoned mine sites at the Boulder River basin in southwestern Montana and the Upper Animas River basin in southwestern Colorado.
- USGS Plasenzuela Project: Background and preliminary findings of a US-Spain study of the environmental impact of the Roman mineral industry at Plasenzuela, Extremadura, Spain.
- Visual Impacts of Mining: Paper on visualization of the visual impacts of mining and quarrying.