Search Home : Science : Environment : Sustainability : Community Sustainability
- Sustainability Ltd.: An award-winning strategic management consultancy and think-tank. Founded in 1987, Sustainability Ltd. is the longest established international consultancy dedicated to promoting the business case for sustainable development. The three main areas of operation: foresight, agenda-setting and change management.
- "Healthy Communities - Indicators Project": This Community Indicators Project database is available for use in Maine classrooms; students will learn how to use "Indicators" to measure the health of their communities. The Indicators used in this project include: People and Population, Natural Resource Consumption and Natural Environment conditions. They provide a glimpse of some economic, social and environmental factors that affect our quality of life.
- 2021 Regional Planning Project - Queensland, Australia: A cooperative regional planning project managing the effects of rapid population growth and planning for sustainable development in South East Queensland. It involves the three spheres of government and the community.
- Appalachian Sustainable Development: Focuses on developing healthy, diverse and ecologically sound economic opportunities through education and training. ASD's two main programs are in sustainable forestry and wood products and sustainable agriculture.
- Books by Jane Holtz Kay: Book summaries and articles concerning urban affairs, planning, transportation, and coping with pollution, sprawl, and other environmental challenges. Includes "Asphalt Nation: How the Automobile Took Over America and How We Can Take It Back." By the architecture/planning critic of The Nation.
- Cabo San Francisco Foundation: Ecuadorian foundation working for a sustainable development of poor villages in coastal Ecuador.
- Center for Economic and Environmental Development: Describes several projects to support sustainable development and improve community and regional leaders` understanding of how economic and environmental decisions can work hand in hand to bring a new vitality to Northwest Pennsylvania.
- Center for Neighborhood Technology (Chicago): Creative strategies for making cities and their surrounding areas work for everyone, environmentally and economically.
- Chattanooga Institute: Seeking to provide communities and companies with the resources and support necessary to create a sustainable and competitive future by finding solutions that integrate business, social equity and the environment in ways that are both sustainable and profitable.
- Chelsea Green's Books for Sustainable Living: Chelsea Green publishes information to help design future lives where human activities of production and consumption are balanced in harmony with the natural state of the world.
- Cities Environment Reports on the Internet: An UN inititative, and part of UNEP. A program to facilitate easy access to environmental information for sound decision-making and general awareness-raising in cities.
- City Repair Project (The): Citizen activists educating and inspiring people to build a more community-oriented and ecologically sustainable society. (Portland, Oregon)
- Communities by Choice: Web-based network for people and communities committed to the practice of sustainable development. Includes message boards, a calendar of sustainable development events, tips for sustainable living, and other resources for sustainable community development.
- Community Sustainability: A Comprehensive Urban Regenerative Process.: Washington State University's School of Architecture web site explores some interactive design-planning topics and presents a proposal for Pullman, Washington, USA.
- Criterion Planners/Engineers: Criterion is an urban planning firm specializing in sustainable community development.
- EcoGateway: EcoIQ magazine and links to a large collection of Internet resources related to sustainable communities.
- Ecocity of Malmö: Describes the transformation of Malmö, Sweden, into sustainability, including details of building design and about management of traffic, rainwater, and waste.
- Ecosustainable Hub: Provides a team of international and Australian professionals committed towards a common goal of facilitating, developing and servicing sustainability. Also provides a Search engine for Sustainability using popular portals.
- Ecosystems: South African consultants and advisors in the field of sustainable community and rural development describe their capabilities and discuss topics such as permaculture and handling issues of rapid urbanization through waste management, recycling, and incineration.
- Environment Canada's Green Lane/Environnement Canada: Canadian government entity's vision is to see a Canada where people make responsible decisions about the environment; and where the environment is thereby sustained for the benefit of present and future generations.
- Five E's Unlimited: Consulting firm that specializes in environmental sustainability, strengthened economies, and social equity, Based in Virginia.
- Green Map System: Project to promote healthy cities and sustainable communities by developing maps to chart the sites of environmental significance in urban places around the world. Includes examples.
- Groundwork Wales: Promotes sustainable communities through joint environmental action. Includes information on community involvement projects and efforts to reclaim old industrial and mining sites.
- Guide to Implementing Local Environmental Action Plans in Central and Eastern Europe: Explores planning process for community sustainability, including how to assess environmental issues and set environmental priorities; as well as how to implement selected actions and monitor and evaluate results.
- ICLEI: Electronic tools for a sustainable community.: One stop guide for U.S. Local Governments. Enhance the Sustainability of Your Community Through: Environmental Protection; Economic Vitality; and Community Well-Being.
- Indicators of Sustainability: develops indicators that measure progress toward a sustainable economy,society and environment.
- International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development: ICIMOD is committed to economically and environmentally sound mountain development and improving the living standards of mountain communities in the Hindu Kush-Himalayas.
- International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI): International clearinghouse on sustainable development and environmental protection policies, programs, and techniques being implemented at the local level by local institutions. Resources and links on Local Agenda 21, Green Fleets, environmental budgeting, other topics.
- Izaak Walton League Community Sustainability Publications: Information about studies and reports on case studies, monitoring community progress toward sustainability goals, teaching the subject of sustainability, and related topics.
- James Taylor Chair in Landscape and Liveable Environments: A series of urban, community design events and university of british columbia-based research projects providing a number of potential solutions to the problems spawned by non-sustainable urban/suburban growth.
- Joint Center for Sustainable Communities: sponsored by U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) and National Association of Counties
- Linking Sustainable Community Activities to Pollution Prevention: A Sourcebook: Online report of RAND study (1997). Includes case studies and extensive bibliography.
- Livable Cities for the 21st Century: The Priorities Institute examines alternative community designs, carfree cities, cohousing, recycling pantries, and other concepts and technologies to promote environmentally sustainable community life.
- Local community sustainability indicators: Some new local community sustainability indicators developed in Australia. This site provides a new methodology for indicators that sustain and develop our community and that we can all count, measure and check them for ourselves.
- Northern Innovative Communities: An inclusive regional effort committed to Sustainable Community Development rooted in economically viable, socially equitable, ecologically sound, and locally nurturing initiatives.
- Rebuild America: Program partners with communities to improve the energy efficiency of their commercial and multifamily residential buildings and reinvest energy savings back into the community. Offers business and technical tools as well as customized assistance.
- Smart Communities Network: Resources on the concept of sustainable development, including overview articles, slide shows, links, recommended books and videos, and educational materials and programs that can help communities in their sustainable development efforts.
- Smart Growth Network: Searchable databases of information resources on smart growth case studies, smart building design, smart development design and zoning, brownfields redevelopment and eco-industrial parks; and related topics.
- Sustainability Tools And Resources: A free web-based project planner for individuals and community groups to learn about sustainability by reviewing project plans, project planning resources, digital library and links to other sites.
- Sustainable Cites Research Institute: Aims to improve the quality of life of urban communities through developing and promoting sustainable approaches to urban living.
- Sustainable Communities Network: Connects citizens with resources to implement innovative processes and programs to restore the economic, environmental, and social health and vitality of their communities.
- Sustainable Environment for Quality of Life: An integrated environmental initiative for the 15-county metropolitan Charlotte region in North and South Carolina. Promotes issues on air quality, sustainable growth and water resources.
- The HomeTown Advantage: Book published by The Institute for Local Self-Reliance, provides comprehensive strategies for reviving independent businesses and Main Streets.
- The Sustainability Report: Provides Canada's first independent assessment of living in balance for the long term to help Canadians understand if current lifestyle and development choices are improving or threatening prospects for a healthy and successful society.
- The Way to Go: Sustainable Lands and Buildings in North Carolina: North Carolina government portal for access to and exchange of sustainability information. It is designed to serve state and local government employees, designers, and others who are responsible for the planning, design, and construction of public building projects.
- U.S. EPA Community-Based Environmental Protection: Case studies and other information about the place-based approach to the environment.
- U.S. EPA: Green Communities: The Green Communities Assistance Kit that you will find here is packaged as a step-by-step guide for planning and implementing sustainable actions. Each of the five steps results in a specific outcome.
- Urban Environmental Management: Output of the Urban Environmental Management Research Initiative (UEMRI), a grouping of urban planning researchers from around the world. Looks at urban areas as the intersection of natural, built, and socio-economic environments.
- Village Habitat Design: Village Habitat Design, LLC is an award-winning architecture and planning firm with a 30 year family history of conservation design.
- exSite Research Ltd.: exSite Research Ltd. focuses on innovative and sustainable solutions for advancing the State of the Art in the regeneration of Brownfield and contaminated land.