Search Home : Science : Social Sciences : Anthropology : Cultural Anthropology : Visual Anthropology
- 1800s Nez Perce Photography: Contains historical archive photography from Smithsonian Institution, Montana Historical Society, Nez Perce National Historic Park, Idaho Historical Society, and private collections.
- American Indian Studies: Dedicated to the presentation of artwork, photographs, video, and sound recordings, which reflect the history, culture of Native Americans in North America, and Central America.
- Anthropological Documentaries: Information about film projects by Wendy van Wilgenburg. Includes bibliographic references, and information on visual anthropology as a discipline.
- Anthropology Film Center: Offers ethnographic, and documentary film training program. Includes four-month program information, summer 2003 workshops, application for admission, and calendar.
- Arctic Circle's Museum of Art,: Photography, and anthropology of the Arctic Circle. Contains virtual museum, natural resources, history, culture, social equity, environmental justice, and Arctic forum.
- Asienhaus Essen: Exhibition of Photography: Photos of truck painting in Pakistan. An article by Martin Sökefeld that describes how trucks not only carry the loads but also the symbols, dreams, and idols of the population.
- Australian Center for the Moving Image: ACMI offers a range of exhibitions, screenings, education, production, and events. Contains collections, exhibitions, and program information.
- Aztec Environmental Photography: Photos by Leslie Plaza Johnson based on the examination of cultural constructions based on visual religious symbols. Offers works, photos, and links.
- CASC-Visual Anthropology Online: A `resource` for information about communicating anthropology to the public, and through science media.
- CVA - NewsNet: Commission on Visual Anthropology. Contains information, newsletter, publications, events, countries, and links.
- Cine-Trance: Reviews the work of Anya Bernstein. Features descriptions of her ethnographic documentaries, articles, and field notes.
- Culturefocus: Provides travel photos taken in Egypt, Syria, Jordan, India, Nepal, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, and on safaris in Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia). Includes pictures, culture, and history.
- Edward S. Curtis's North American Indian: Presented by the American Memory, Library of Congress. Contains digital reproductions of photogravures from portfolios of the North American Indian.
- Ethnographic Portraits: The Crees of Northern Québec: Photographic essay about the natives of the Mistissini Reserve, focusing on changes caused by hydroelectric development.
- Exposing Yourself: A paper by Jay Ruby that explores the relationships between reflexivity, anthropology, and film.
- Fighters on the Farmfront Home: An Online Exhibit from the Oregon State University archiving Oregon's Emergency Farm Labor Service 1943-1947.
- Fish Camp - A Living Legend in a Vanishing Frontier: Presents a documentary photo essay of Florida Fish camps. Contains a site map, sequence of images, links to books about photography, webrings, and awards.
- Frontier Photographer: Edward S. Curtis: Contains a gallery of Curtis' photography from the Smithsonian. Slide show format.
- HADDON: University of Oxford online catalogue of archival ethnographic films, and film footage.
- I.U.A.E.S. The International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences: Offers history, executive board, oganisation, newsletter, commisions, and race statement.
- Mateo's Anthropology Page: Visual anthropology essays and links.
- Nepal - Tibet : from Kathmandu to Lhassa and back: Contains images by Jean-Francois Berthet of Nepal, and Tibet. Includes photos of Kathmandu, landscapes, Potala, monks, monastaries, statues, paintings, rain, people, and windows.
- Newcastlelight co. uk: Photography of North Staffordshire, UK from the research programs in photography, visual ethnography, and philosophy at Staffordshire University.
- One World Photography: Frontline Photojournalism Service covering photos specializing in war, human rights issues, politics, refugees, and development within Asia and Africa. Contains gallery, services available, links and contact information.
- Peter Langer - Associated Media Group: Provides stock photography of ethnic groups from 120 different countries. Contains image library, services, print material, and event organization.
- Photoethnography.com: Sociocultural anthropologist Karen Nakamura offers a `resource` for photo-ethnographers. Contains gallery, techniques, equipment, courses, and links.
- Richard Chalfen: Features teaching, publications, on-going research on home media and Japanese culture conducted by Temple University and Boston Children’s Hospital.
- SIGHTS Visual Anthropology Forum: Collection of working papers from a workshop organized by the Centre for Cross-Cultural Research.
- Society for Visual Antropology: Provides a section of the American Anthropological Association, promoting the study of visual representation, and media. Contains publications, subscription, member's forum, links, and contact.
- South African Museum - Encounters with Photography: Contains the photography of Henri-Alexandre Junod documenting the Thonga of Mozambique.
- Structure and Meaning in Human Settlement: An article written by Edmund Carpenter of a High Arctic settlement on Zhokov Island, Russian Siberia.
- The Latin American Video Archive: Authentic films and videotapes which depict their histories, and cultures from a Latin American perspective. Contains featured titles, about LAVA, reviews, and contact information.
- The Peoples of The World Foundation: Provides education `resource` to the world's minority peoples by providing education, in words and pictures, about them.
- The Teaching of Visual Anthropology: Jay Ruby and Richard Chalfen challenge the idea that film is art and science is an objective chronicler of reality in an article that discusses the difficulties experienced in the development of a truly anthropological cinema.
- Triton Films: An independent film production, and distribution company offering socio-cultural documentaries, ethnographic films, and experimental fiction films. Resource for documentary, anthropology, education, and research.
- Understanding What We See: A paper by W. Matthew Ball (5/97)studying three subdivisions of visual anthropology, still photography, film, and computer multimedia applications.
- University of Adelaide Visual Anthropology Lybrary Guides: Offers film and photographic catalogs, introductory texts, and web resources in anthropology. Provides `resource` services, anthropology news, and library tutorials.
- VISAN: studio of visual anthropology, Tomsk: Anthropology photos by Andrei Filtchenko. A slideshow format.
- Virtual Snow: Edmund Snow Carpenter: Features information on Edmund Snow Carpenter. Includes a full digital publication of "Oh, What a Blow That Phantom Gave Me!" Also contains biographical and bibliographical information.
- Visual Anthropology Resources: Links to web sites of interest to Visual Anthropology.
- Visual Research Methods: Marcus Banks describes methodology and issues of documentation in this article published in the journal Social Research Update in 1995.
- Visualanthropology.net: Provides a visual on-line `resource` containing scientific journals, news, courses, workshops, and links.
- Web Archive in Visual Anthropology: Features out-of-print and unpublished materials for teaching and research.
- Working Images: Contains abstracts from the conference exploring anthropology, and visual anthropology. Includes introduction, themes, photography, art exhibitions, and ethnographic films.