Search Home : Science : Social Sciences : Anthropology : Cultural Anthropology
- 25th Annual Conference of the Society of Ethnobiology: Meeting hosted by the University of Connecticut, Storrs, March 6-9, 2002. Features abstracts, registration materials, and lodging and transportation information.
- A Journey Through The Culture of Capitalism: Explores capitalism as a cultural phenomenon rather than an economic philosophy.
- AnthroCommons: Virtual conference facility for the American Anthropological Association. Offers meeting abstracts, and conference papers.
- Anthropological Theories: A guide to anthropological theories and approaches prepared by graduate students of the University of Alabama under the direction of Dr. Michael D. Murphy.
- Anthropology Page: Book reviews and short essays.
- Anthropology Resource Base: Resources for indigenous cultures around the world provided by NativeWeb.
- Anthropology and Resistance: A collection of articles that examine issues of power, exploitation and resistance from an anthropological perspective.
- Anthropology, Gender and Masculinity: Bilingual site featuring articles, images, news, and links related to the anthropological study of masculinity and gender.
- Brand You: An article that describes using anthropological data for advertising commercial products.
- Center for Cross-Cultural Research: Dedicated to fostering and disseminating comparative research. Features news, staff profiles, events and contacts at the Australian National University.
- Circumpolar Ethnographic Field School: Features information and contact details for the project hosted by the University of Northern British Columbia. Summer 2003.
- Critical Theory and Cultural Studies: "Cultural studies draws from the fields of anthropology, sociology, gender studies, feminism, literary criticism, history and psychoanalysis in order to discuss contemporary texts and cultural practices."
- Cross-Cultural Explorations and Dialogue: Manuals, tutorials and information on cross-cultural communication prepared by the Institute of Baltic Studies and the Open Estonia Foundation.
- Cross-Culture Theory Test: Features software and data for comparative ethnographic analysis.
- Cross-cultural Psychology: A subfield of psychological anthropology concerned with observing human behavior in contrasting cultures.
- Cultural Anthropology News Archive: Collection of links to media articles from Texas A&M
- Cultural Evolution and the Variable Phenotype: William Harms critiques attempts to extend the theory of evolution to culture.
- Cultural Islands: An essay by Thomas Hylland Eriksen that critically examines the metaphors which have underlied anthropological theory and research.
- Cultural Observations Database: Open content project collecting observations made by travelers on behavior in other cultures. Features project description, technical details, and contacts.
- Culture and Developmental Subjectivities: An article that describes how anthropologists and historians have attempted to understand and explore the cultural and textual sources of sexual analysis from a holistic perspective.
- Culture by Commotion Trilogy: Online version of the series of books that include: Plenitude, Transformation, Commotion. The series offers an anthropological account of modern life by Grant McCracken.
- Dueling Banners: A Smithsonian Magazine article that describes how proverbs in the Asafo war flags of Ghana show Western influence.
- First International Congress of Investigation and Sociocultural Development: Features topics, program, registration and submission details. Cabeceiras de Basto, Portugal (October 2003, 23th to 25th).
- Game Killing and Killing Games: Heidi Dahles discusses the anthropology of power relations in modern hunting in western society.
- Growing up Sexually: Encyclopedia features cross-cultural information on sexual behavior development. Offers researchers the opportunity to participate in the project and bibliography.
- Hip Hop Barbers: Research into the influence of popular culture on the decoration of barber shops in Arusha, Tanzania by Brad Weiss, of the College of William and Mary. Features photos with brief captions.
- Human Universals: Donald Brown discusses those features of culture for which there are no known exceptions to their existence in all ethnographically or historically recorded human societies.
- Implosion: Research in architecture on the phenomenology of space of O. F. Bollnow. [in English, French and German].
- Introduction: Everyday Life: An article that discusses how anthropology brings to light many similarities between ancient and modern cultures, particularly in customs surrounding food.
- Kinship Glossary: Symbols, Term, and Concepts: Definitions of basic terminology and list of common abbreviations.
- Kinship and Social Organization: Hypertext tutorial covering descent, kinship terminology, marriage systems, and residence rules. Includes ethnographic examples.
- Opus corpus: Anthropology of the Corporal Appearances: Features articles by St�ephane Malysse on understanding the social and cultural logics made visible by the human body. Requires Flash. In English, French and Portuguese.
- Raising Trust: An article that describes how some forager groups may nurture a sharing sense in their offspring.
- Rites of Passage across Cultures: An annotated directory of links and course outline examining the anthropological and psychological elements involved in initiation ceremonies.
- Silence, AIDS and Sexual Culture in Africa: An article describing social factors in the AIDS epidemic in Africa.
- Slovenian Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology: A portal dedicated to preserving national traditions and promoting research. Offers photos, articles, and fieldwork reports, as well as a calendar of local events.
- Social and Cultural Anthropology: A annotated guide to Internet resources from the University of Delaware.
- Social and Cultural Evolution: A directory of links to research papers that discuss general theoretical approaches and models of culture change.
- Sound and Society: Paul Roquet's project comparing the acoustic ecology of living places in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand, Australia, Malaysia, Nepal, and Bhutan. Features research proposal, bibliography and guestbook.
- Symbolic Anthropology: A site that explores the relationship between symbols and a society's cognitive structure, rules of moral conduct and patterns of social interactions.
- Symbolic Power Struggles in Inter-cultural Space: A lecture given by Thomas Hylland Eriksen at the symposium "Culture in the Global Village", Lund, Sweden, 14-16 January, 1993.
- The Aesthetic Realism of Eli Siegel: Essays in cultural anthropology on the philosophy of Aesthetic Realism.
- The Third Culture: A directory of links and resources for understanding cultural ecology.
- Theory in Anthropology: Descriptions of various subdisciplines of sociocultural anthropology, reviews of trends in anthropological publications, and biographies of some influential anthropologists.
- What is Culture?: A tutorial on the nature of culture and the history of the culture concept.
- Womanist Epistemology and a New Anthropological Paradigm: African American women's experiences of oppression and marginalization have led them to espouse a religious framework that would give them the regard society has deprived them.
- World Food Habits Bibliography: Bibliographies sorted by region and topic prepared by Robert Dirks.