Search Home : Science : Social Sciences : Linguistics : Languages : Natural : Uralic : Finnish
- The Finnish Language (Who's Afraid of Finnish?): by Hannele Branch. Virtual Finland's extensive guide to the distinctive features of Finnish, attempting to answer the question, "Is Finnish a difficult language?"
- A Chance to Speak Finnish: On this page you can learn Finnish words and phrases by listening. Plus a song about the Finnish language in RealAudio.
- An Electronic Corpus of Ingrian Finnish: On-line corpus of spoken Ingrian Finnish. Includes transcriptions and sound samples.
- An Introduction to "Finglish": A survey of "Finglish", the form of English spoken by Finnish immigrants to the USA and heavily contaminated by their native tongue (by Jenni Tuominen).
- Employment of Foreigners Hampered by Language Barriers and Attitudes: by Vellamo Vehkakoski. Helsingin Sanomat article describing language acquisition as an obstacle for foreigners seeking jobs in Finland.
- Finnish Characterized: by Eugene Holman. General information about Finnish from the FAQ of soc.culture.nordic by a linguist specializing in Finnish and other Baltic-Finnic languages.
- Finnish Grammar / Finnische Grammatik / Suomen Kielioppi: Brief, well-organized (if rather incomplete) introduction to Finnish grammar. Trilingual site (English/German/Finnish).
- Finnish Nominals Declination - SparroW: Automated presentation of noun declension in Finnish. The user is asked to supply a Finnish noun (it may even be a loanword), and the program will supply all its declensional forms.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Finno-Ugrian Languages: by Johanna Laakso. Is Finnish the most ancient language in the world? Where do Finnish words come from? A Finno-Ugric linguist answers these and other common questions.
- Learn Finnish: Online aid to learning Finnish vocabulary. The site is free, but registration is necessary.
- Lingsoft, Inc.: Finnish language technology company, offers proofreading and other software for Finnish and other Nordic languages.
- Phonetics of Finnish: Information on Finnish words and their phonetic structure, from the Department of Phonetics, University of Helsinki. Bilingual page (English and Finnish).
- Sounds of the World's Animals: A list of how Finnish represents the sounds animals make.
- Suomen-nimi - The Finnish Names Database: Database of Finnish or Suomi names.
- The Finnish Language: Short introduction to the Finnish language, with a well-organized page devoted to the use of cases in Finnish. Links to Finnish resources on the Internet. [By Jukka Korpela]
- The Finnish Language Site: Articles on the Finnish language and its history, learning resources, and a mailing list for beginners who wish to learn Finnish.
- The Research Institute for the Languages of Finland: Studies and provides advice on the usage of Finnish, Swedish, the Finno-Ugric languages, Finnish Sign Language, and Romany, the language of the gypsies in Finland.
- Verbix - Verb Conjugator: On-line verb conjugation service for Finnish and 50+ other languages. Includes list of 10,000 most frequent Finnish words.
- Virittäjä: A linguistic quarterly published by Kotikielen Seura (The Mother Tongue Society). Summaries in English.
- Yahoo Groups : Finnish: Discussion list for people studying Finnish language and culture in Finland or elsewhere.
- Yamada Language Center WWW Guide: Finnish Language: A guide to Internet resources on the study of the Finnish language.
This category in other languages: