Search Home : Society : Activism : Media
- A program for media reform in Australia: From Terry and Hazel Giesecke; includes overview of concerns, history of the movement, proposals for reform, recommended links and contact information.
- ACME - the Action Coalition for Media Education: A `group` which is putting on a convention in October, 2002. Goals of the meeting, who should attend, costs, online registration forms, nominate speakers and contact information.
- Active Free Media: Videos, a listserv, pictures, t-shirts for sale and contact information.
- Activism News - Topix.net: News on activism collected from diverse sources on the web.
- Alliance for Community Media - USA: From a nonprofit organization, includes mission statement, about the group, listserv, marketing opportunities, current events, merchandise for sale, resources, recommended links and contact information.
- American Forum: From a nonprofit organization; includes state forums, services offered, article archive, how to get involved and contact information.
- COPSwatch: Richard Glen Boire's 'media parasite' that transforms the television reality show "Cops" into a teaching vehicle for learning about civil rights and unlawful police tactics. Audio and text archives available as well as related links, mailing list, and books for sale.
- Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom: A coalition of community and labor groups concerned about the concentration of ownership of Canadian news sources. News, commentary, recommended links, a listserv and contact information.
- Carbon Defense League [CDL]: From an international collective; includes projects, writing, locations.
- Cascadia Media Collective: From an anti-globalization group, offers CD's, books, zines and videos of protests and tactics.
- Cause Communications: From a consulting `group` for activists and non-profit organizations; includes beginner's guide to communicating, resources, services offered, client list, staff members and books for sale.
- Christians of Action: From a Canadian-based `group` of Christians, includes newsletter, recommended links, resources and contact information.
- Citizens for C-SPAN: From an organization which seeks to preserve and expand access to C-SPAN; includes mission statement, history, board of directors, campaigns, email alerts, membership and contact information.
- Citizens for Media Literacy: Non-profit organization linking media literacy with the concepts and practices of citizenship. Includes suggested reading and contact information.
- Civic Media: From a `group` of Romanian journalists, includes mission statement, structure, proposals and contact information.
- Critical Notes: Josh Honn's web blog which includes news, reports on activism and recommended links.
- D2KLA: A `group` protesting the Democratic National Convention in 2000. Viewpoints, commentary and information about post-Convention legal issues.
- DIYRevolution: From a `group` of musicians, artists and other activists; includes resources pertaining to upcoming events, recent film and media productions, art shows, writing and miscellaneous work.
- Dobmeyer Communications: From a consultant; includes services offered, suggested stories, tips on promotion and contact information.
- Fazendo Media: An online newspaper from a `group` of students in Rio de Janeiro, includes editorials, special reports, short stories and contact information.
- Film Industry Reform Movement: An international association concerned with "propaganda effects" of the US film industry. Mission statement, commentary, forums, press releases, recommended links, topics for further research, listserv, bookstore and how to volunteer.
- Fire the FCC: News, polls, and an interactive forum dealing FCC regulations, censorship, and freedom of expression.
- Free Press: From a national organization founded by Robert McChesney, includes mission statement, frequently asked questions, calendar of events, current campaigns, issues, petitions, recommended organizations, contact information and how to support it.
- Free Press: National (USA) media reform organization promoting policies that will produce a more competitive and public interest-oriented media system with a strong nonprofit and noncommercial sector.
- Free Press: From an organization promoting decentralization in broadcasting. Includes how to help, a list of organizations, breaking news, issues of concern and a calendar of events.
- Free Speech Internet Television: From Public Communicators Inc.; audios, videos, a newsletter, opportunities, membership information, items for sale, contact and donation information.
- Fresh Green Blog: From an alliance of people who favor the Green party. Upcoming events, links and archives.
- Friends of the ABC: From a `group` defending the independence of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Includes newsletter, talking points about advertising, the Board of Directors and funding; a discussion forum, contact information and how to submit information.
- Holding Hollywood Accountable: A `group` which supports voluntary change by the entertainment industry in favor of portraying less violence. Introduction, recommended links, forums and contact information.
- HonestReports.com: From a `group` combatting stereotypes of Muslims; includes news, newsletter, researched publications, background information, tips on journalism and contact information.
- Iconmedia: From a Texas-based group, includes videos for sale, a military documentation project, services offered, recommended links and contact information.
- Independent Media Center - news: From a collective of independent organizations and independent journalists. History of the organization, news, commentary, archives, a listserv, links and contact information.
- Independent Media Center, Los Angeles: A collective of organizations and journalists offering a grassroots, non-corporate perspective. About the group, upcoming events, recommended links, forums, special projects, contact information and how to join and donate.
- Jean Kilbourne's Lecture Series: Biography, calendar, latest releases, description of her lecture content, about her films, resources, opportunities and contact information.
- Lying Media Bastards: Includes news, resources, recommended links and rants from radio talk-show host Jake Sexton.
- Madison, Wisconsin Independent Media Center: From a Wisconsin branch of IndyMedia, about the group, breaking news, analysis, reports on past demonstrations, upcoming events, audio, video, pictures and contact information.
- Media Awareness Network: From a Canadian non-profit organization especially concerned with violence in mass communications. Includes reports, opportunities, recommended links, contact information, members, sponsors, awards received and a press gallery.
- Media Bias News: Mission statement, how to identify bias, press releases, current actions, guestbook, chat and contact information.
- Media Education Foundation: From a nonprofit organization, includes mission statement, the group's history, contact information and previews of videos for sale.
- Media File: A nonprofit `resource` and training center. About the organization, history, news, commentary, recommended links, archives, class schedules, how to become a member, special events and contact information.
- Media Mouse: From a collective in Grand Rapids Michigan, includes history of the group, mission statement, current issues, news blog, flyers, photographs, publications, videos and contact information.
- Media Tank: Works to bring together media arts, education, and activism to build awareness and support for media as a vital civic, cultural, and communications resource. Includes mailing list, news, press kits, articles, and links.
- Media That Matters: From a nonprofit organization, includes videos from its film festival, who they are, how to participate and how to order products.
- Media Transparency: Commentary, analysis and investigative data related to links between prominent conservative think-tanks and their funding sources.
- Mediarights.org: A `group` using documentaries to advance social causes. Membership information, information on workshops, news commentary, how to purchase documentaries, upcoming television programs of interest and film festival information.
- Morality in Media: Commentary, resources and current developments from a national interfaith organization which seeks to combat obscenity and to uphold decency standards in mass communications.
- Nacefly: Political humor, news, protest literature.
- OUTFOXED: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism: From MoveOn.org, includes clips, interviews, publicity, recommended movies and activism campaigns.
- Our Media: From a global network of scholars; includes planned conferences, white papers, brochures, participants, recommend links and contact information.
- PMW Palestine Media Watch: A `group` combating what it perceives as an anti-Palestinian bias in the US. How to use the site, contact information for representatives of major publications, an online fax-sending capability, news, commentary, issues of concern, archives, staff members, talking points, a message board, recommended links, how to volunteer, how to donate and a booklet for sale.
- Planet Earth Media: From a nonprofit public service agency; includes their history, services offered, success stories, who their clients are, a client application form and their Board of Directors.
- Progressive Portal: Easy Online Activism: From a `group` of volunteer contributors. Fax letters, forums, recommended links, download flyers, feedback, purchase merchandise and donate online.
- Public Affairs Access News: About the site, news, newsletter, resources and contact information.
- RINF.com: From an online community; includes streaming video, a webblog, e-books, forums, chat, FAQ and contact information.
- Radio For All: An association of grassroots radio broadcasters. About the group, selected audio, upload facility for new audio, contact information and how to donate.
- Radio Free Conscience: Web site and radio program focusing on issues in community and grassroots media, including: free/pirate radio, community radio, DIY media.
- Ray Hanania: Information on conferences, a directory of Arab journalists and publishers, information on the National Arab Journalists Association, commentary, a bookstore and recommended links.
- Roundtable, Inc.: A production company. About the organization, previous productions, future plans, directions and contact information.
- Savage Stupidity: From a husband and wife team opposing the viewpoints of conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage; includes news, letters, newsletter, boycotts, things to buy and contact information.
- Spending Liberally: Current sponsors of Fox News, recommended actions, news blog, registration form and contact information.
- The Meadiae Trust: A company striving to improve the lives of rural Africans. Goals, details about the organization, current and past projects, methodology, forums and staff members.
- The Truth in America Project: From a `group` interested in achieving reform of the major news monopolies. Who they are, their goals, commentary, recommended links, forum, contact information and how to donate.
- The Video Activist Network: From an informal association of videographers; includes videos, resources, upcoming screenings, list of members and recommended links.
- The Zapatista Social Netwar in Mexico: A report for sale explaining the tactics of "netwar" (i.e., communicating grassroots ideas) using the Zapatista rebellion in Mexico as an instructive example.
- Underground Advertising: An advertising agency for nonprofits. Who they are, previous clients, services offered, recent publicity, staff members, opportunities and contact information.
- Union for Democratic Communications: Promotes varied critical approaches to communications and media, analyzes power structures that control mass media, and advocates the creation of structures to promote democratic communications. Includes membership information.
- Wiretap: From Alternet, an information source "by and for" young people. News, commentary, recommended links, message boards, upcoming events, image galleries, listserv, archives and contact information.
- World Campaign: From the Planet Earth Foundation. Includes vision and motivational statements, commentary on a variety of issues, videos and images of public service announcents, recommended links, listserv, a forum and how to contribute.
- eActivist.org: A volunteer organization promoting citizen involvement for people without much time for it. Mission statement, petitions, faxes, emails, favorite quotes, how to list your cause, how to support other causes and contact information.