Search Home : Society : Issues : Church-State Relations
- J. M. Dawson Institute of Church-State Studies, Baylor University: Site focused on church-state relations in the United States and around the world. Back issues of the Institute's "Journal of Church and State" are available for browsing. Also contains a comprehensive list of links to online resources, including primary source material.
- A Little Bit of Inquisition: Subtitle: (And They Called It America) How would you react if your State government required the Witches Rede to be mounted in your child's classroom?
- Advocates International - Justice with Compassion: World-wide non-profit organization based in Fairfax, Virginia that deals with issues of religious freedom around the world.
- Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights: The CLRC fights anti-Catholicism and is the nation's largest Catholic civil rights organization. Their website contains articles on conflicts between government and the Catholic Church and/or individual Catholics.
- Children's Healthcare Is a Legal Duty: CHILD is a nonprofit US organization fighting religion-based medical neglect. Includes case histories of children who died after receiving faith-based healing instead of medical care, examples of religious exemptions to public-health regulations, and legal news.
- Church vs State and Faith Based Initiatives: Debate how you feel about your First Amendment rights, about school prayer and your taxes going towards religious groups. Do you believe First Amendment had the effect of forbidding anyone from using the government to pass sectarian legislation? Will this open the door for condonation of a particular religion's exclusionary beliefs at the expense of those that are inclusive? Speak up! (no registration - no codes - just opinions)
- Church, State, Rock and Roll: A monthly update on state and federal litigation concerning the First Amendment's religion clauses.
- Church-State Academic Papers: Political science papers dealing with the relationship of church and state, and religious liberty.
- Congress Again Attempts to Legislate Religious Freedom: After having its Religious Freedom Restoration Act declared an unconstitutional exercise of legislative power in 1997, Congress tries again with the Religious Liberty Protection Act of 1999.
- Doctrinal Errors of Dignitatis Humanae, The: A `group` of self-described traditional Catholics take issue with the Second Vatican Council's teachings on religious freedom.
- Earth Religions Assistance Pages: Index of resources for practitioners of Earth Religions who are experiencing religious discrimination.
- Faith-Based Office Announcement Sparks Debate: Newly elected President George W Bush announces a plan that will enable the "state" to pay "churches" for social problem solving. Washingtonpost.com.
- First Amendment Cyber-Tribune: Freedom of Religion: An overall view of religious liberty as defined by U.S. Supreme Court cases.
- First Amendment Cyber-Tribune: Religious Liberty: List of links to primary and secondary sources, mostly U.S. Government documents and historical essays, concerning the two religion clauses of the First Amendment.
- First Amendment Religion: The Intent of Our Founding Fathers: A paper that discusses and analyzes the thoughts of the founding fathers upon drafting the First Amendment's freedom of religion.
- Godless Americans March On Washington: A march and rally in Washington DC for non-believers worried about the US becoming more of a theocratic state.
- International Coalition for Religious Freedom: A non-profit, non-sectarian, educational organization dedicated to defending the religious freedom of all, regardless of creed, gender or ethnic origin.
- Lady Liberty League: A national and global referral and information exchange network of Pagan religious freedom activists.
- National Committee For Amish Religious Freedom: Founded in 1967 at the University of Chicago for the purpose of preserving the religious liberty of the Old Order Amish (and related Anabaptist groups, including Mennonites) -- and hence religious liberty for all.
- Nonbeliever Antidiscrimination Project: Discusses theistic oaths for public office holders, mandated participation in religious substance abuse programs, Boy Scouts of America policy mandating theistic oath and statement of religious principle, and veterans' organizations religious membership restrictions.
- Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance: 650+ essays on belief systems, well organized. They neither support nor attack, but attempt to be inclusive of all sides of the issues covered.
- Religion and Politics: Interesting essay which clarifies the difference between "the question of religion and politics" and "the question of church and state".
- Religion, Politics, and the State: Subtitled "Cross-Cultural Observations", an article by N.J. Demerath and Karen S. Straight in Cross Currents that discusses various religion-state models in "Eastern" and "Western" countries.
- Religious Freedom in Islamic Countries. 1998 Report: Surveys freedom of religious minorities, as well as widespread harassment, torture, murder, and interference from government and police.
- The Religious Liberty Archive: An extensive repository of laws, cases, news, and historical materials pertaining to religious freedom in the United States.
- Witches' Voice White Pages, The: A list of legal reference documents and form letters that witches can use in their local fights for religious freedom. Includes references for Australia, Canada, the United States, and a few individual states.
This category in other languages: