Search Home : Society : Issues : Economic : Privatization
- A 12-Step Plan for Social Security Reform: Report by the National Center for Policy Analysis published in June 1998 describes a plan for U.S. Social Security reform, based on examples of recent similar reforms in countries around the world.
- Center for Competitive Government: A Temple University program engaged in and promoting the study of important topics in privatization. Includes conferences, publications, and working papers. Formerly the Privatization Research Center.
- Charity and Volunteerism: Information about the creation of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, a program designed to privatize some social services by using nonprofit organizations. Provided by the Almanac of Policy Issues, a project of Policy News Publishing.
- Grandfather State and Local Government Report: A chapter of Grandfather Economic Reports, in which Michael Hodges explores the rapid expansion of state and local government.
- How and Why to Privatize Federal Lands: Policy analysis by Cato Institute describes failures of the government to provide good land stewardship, criteria for reform efforts, and a blueprint for auctioning off all public lands over 20 to 40 years. Published December 1999.
- Idea House: Privatization: Lists innovations, deterrents, possible candidates, and worldwide and domestic results. Published by National Center for Public Policy.
- Is It Time to Privatize the Postal Service?: Excerpts of remarks made by participants at a Cato Institute conference on this issue held in June 1999.
- Michigan Privatization Report: Quarterly periodical of articles and book reviews, addressing topics such as the Michigan Civilian Conservation Corps, notable attempts at privatization, outsourcing, and the public schools in Grand Rapids. Provided by the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
- PB - Privatization Barometer: Examines privatization news in Europe and worldwide.
- Privatization Center: Provides practical research and analysis, how-to guides, case studies, and reports designed to inform elected officials on how to streamline government. A project of the Reason Public Policy Institute.
- Privatization.Org: Resource for information on government reform, privatization, contracting out, and public/private partnerships. Includes events, features, publications, privatization database, and service provider directory. Sponsored by the Reason Public Policy Institute.
- Privatization: All in Favor of Privatization, Raise Your Hand: Articles and book reviews related to privatization in Michigan. Published by Mackinac Center for Public Policy, Spring 2002.
- PrivatizationLink: Marketing and information `resource` for current investment opportunities arising from privatization in developing countries and economies in transition. Sponsored by The World Bank Group.
- Privatize the DMV: Report presents the case for privatizing the Department of Motor Vehicles, and gives working models in other states. Authored by Patrick Hazel; published by the Cascade Policy Institute in January, 1997.
- Public Services International Research Unit (PSIRU): Research unit focusing on privatization of public services in water, energy, waste management and healthcare, including the role of multinational companies and of international institutions, especially the EU and the World Bank.
- STOP Privatization: Activist organization in the Philippines working against privatization. Includes positions, members, and photo gallery showing events in 2000.
- Setting the Privatization Record Straight: Policy commentary by Mackinac Center for Public Policy responds to several objections to education privatization. Published August 1999.
- The Meaning of Privatization: Article by Paul Starr, a Princeton professor who generally opposes privatization, attempting to clarify its meaning as an idea, as theory and rhetoric, and as a political practice.
- The Party of the First Part: Transcript of a Marx Brothers sketch from the film "A Night At the Opera, " used in a radio documentary to illustrate the problems of responsibility and contractual enforcement involved in government outsourcing.
- Union Launches Anti-Privatization Campaign: Brief article describing the campaign by the American Federation of Government Employees to oppose privatization.
- World Bank Group: Privatization Toolkits: Provides access to step-by-step guides to the privatization and regulation of infrastructure services.