Search Home : Society : Issues : Education : Education Reform : Higher Education Reform
- A Student's-Eye View of Education's Fall and Decline: Explores why a more innovative and progressive approach to education is held back by an institutional mindset that is threatened by, and even hostile to, revolutionary changes.
- American Council of Alumni and Trustees: Committed to academic excellence and freedom of expression in higher education.
- Coalition for Higher Education Act Reform: Recommends revision of the U.S. Higher Education Act which denies or delays financial aid to students with drug offenses.
- Discourse on Shamefulness: An essay that argues for the traditional literary canon at the English Department in the University of Houston.
- Foundation Coalition: An NSF-sponsored initiative funding systemic reform in undergraduate engineering education at seven schools.
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education: "FIRE is a nonprofit educational foundation devoted to free speech, individual liberty, religious freedom, the rights of conscience, legal equality, due process, and academic freedom" in American universities.
- Higher Education Act: Reauthorization Status and Issues: A review of U.S. federal education policy, including the Higher Education Act, Pell Grants, student loans, teacher training, and distance education.
- Impact of Internet on Higher Education: Report examining major university presidents' perceptions of the impact of Internet on education & pressures that promote & inhibit.
- National Alliance for College Athletics Reform: Dedicated to insuring that big-time college sports do not compromise the educational missions of colleges and universities.
- Pope Center for Higher Education Policy: Conservative public policy organization publishing white papers and other reports on how to improve higher education. Global in interest, but having a special emphasis on North Carolina.
- Re-envisioning the Ph.D. Project: Dedicated to fostering national/international discussion and initiatives that address the question: How can we re-envision the Ph.D. to meet the societal needs of the 21st Century?
- Rutgers After Lawrence: Reforming a Once-Great University: Faculty essay on the reforms needed at Rutgers University to strengthen academics and reduce the destructive impact of Division I athletics.
- Student Diversity Program at Cal State Fullerton: The SDP is designed to address the retention of "At Risk" students. Using unconventional methods of intervention, SDP has demonstrated over 90% success at California State University, Fullerton.
- Student Loan Hell: Biblical argument for abolishing the ban on student loan bankruptcy discharge, as well as links to other student loan information sites.
- The Collegiate Way: Residential Colleges and Higher Education Reform: Reforming campus life by dividing large universities into small residential colleges like those at Oxford and Cambridge.
- The Futures Project: Analysis of the role market forces play in higher education with the goal of developing and implementing thoughtful, market-oriented policy options.
- The Irascible Professor: Irreverent commentary on the state of education in America today, by Dr. Mark H. Shapiro and guest writers.
- The Learning Community Commons: The National Learning Communities Project provides cutting-edge academic learning community work in undergraduate education across the United States.
- The National Academy for Academic Leadership: The academy educates academic decision makers to be leaders institutional change that improves student learning. Administrators and faculty will develop the knowledge and skills to effect systemic institutional change.
- The Pew Charitable Trusts: Reports from research grantees addressing issues in higher education reform.
- The Shadow University: The Betrayal of Liberty of America's Campuses: How university administrators, particularly in campus student affairs divisions, have abridged the civil liberties of students and faculty members, and what can be done to redress the problem.
- Tuition-free MIT: A radical proposal arguing that schools such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which have many ties to wealthy corporations, should not charge their students tuition.
- UEdge: Providing case study analysis and informed opinions about higher education policy and works to assist students and the general public to understand key issues that affect them.
- University Secrets: An Indictment of Higher Education: University Secrets is the full text of a book describing higher education's failure to educate students and its exploitive transfers of funds. It criticizes grades, SATs, tracking, and housing policies.
- University of Illinois College of Medicine Expose: A brief expose by a former medical student of the practices which occurred at the largest medical school in the Midwest in the 1990s.
- Vermont Campus Compact: A higher education organization promoting greater institutional commitment to community service, service learning, and local partnerships