Search Home : Society : Issues : Education : School Choice
- Alliance for Separation of School & State: Argues against any interference by government in education.
- 4Choice - A workable school choice plan: Common sense School Choice objectives, International Test Scores, John Gatto's shocking origins of public education, links to simple model legislation.
- Academic Choices - YES; Vouchers - NO: Vouchers are a bad School Choice delivery system similar to standing in line for food stamps, or filing a tax return.
- Advocacy Groups, Policy Centers and Think Tanks: Boston College's extensive list of resources. Be sure to click on their homepage too.
- Black Alliance for Education Options: Supports empowering low income black families with school choice.
- Center for Education Reform: Advocacy, statistics, resources and guidance on education reform issues and action at the school, district, state and national levels, from School Choice, charter schools, and educational entrepreneurialism to high academic standards, teacher professionalism and local control.
- Charter School Success: Arizona had 1/3 of the nations Charter Schools. This insightful study by a business and economics writer looks at competitive effects on all schools.
- Charter Schools Development Center: Resources for charter school developers and charter granting agencies.
- Children's Educational Opportunity Foundation: Lots of school choice information. Look especially at their state by state summaries of current efforts.
- Choice Accomplished Kiwi-style: A Cabinet Minister and a Member of New Zealand's Parliament testifies to the overwhelming success of School Choice started in the 1970's and completely implemented. Elimination of bureaucracy doubled classroom spending.
- Citizens For Educational Freedom: Promotes the primary rights of parents with regard to freedom of choice, justice and quality in education for all regardless of wealth, color or creed by allocating a fair share of educational tax dollars for each child to take to the school of the parents' choice while protecting parents and schools from undue government regulation and control.
- Cost of Education: Cato Institute study: What Would a Voucher Buy. Documents the cost of public and private education.
- Diligently to Thy Children: The Case for School Choice: PDF pamphlet from the `group` Toward Tradition, which advocates school choice based on Torah and traditional Jewish principles.
- Dr. Quentin Quade's essays on school choice: Part of Blum Center at Marquette University's effort to collect, organize, synthesize and distribute information regarding school choice efforts across the country.
- Education Policy Institute: Documented inside information on PTA and teacher unions. Education research and policy analysis from a public choice and pro-market perspective, plus expert revelations on teacher unions, collective bargaining in education, PTA issues, and education reform matters.
- Education Week - Why Vouchers, From a Teacher's Point of View: School Choice unleashes forces of competition, benefitting teachers. Well-written economics.
- Educational Issues: National Center for Policy Analysis whitepapers on education issues, particularly School Choice and teacher's union obstruction of Choice reforms.
- Effectiveness of School Choice in Milwaukee: A Secondary Analysis of Data from the Program's Evaluation: For five years Harvard researchers refused to release data for secondary analysis by other members of the scholarly community. Correcting for errors in the original, this still relevant re-analysis found that students enrolled in choice schools for three or more years did better than a comparable `group` attending Milwaukee public schools.
- Eliminate Governmental Interference in Education: Alliance for Intellectual Freedom in Education supports Choice, with emphasis on homeschooling.
- Excellent Education for Everyone: Organizing grassroots movement throughout NJ where spending is $10,975 but half the students in inner-city public schools don't graduate.
- FOXNews - Are Parents Boycotting Public Schools?: A growing movement of leaders advising parents to take kids out of public schools is joined by Dr. James Dobson, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Marlon Maddoux.
- Faith In Public Schools Fades: African-American parents with children in Georgia public schools are more likely than white parents to think private companies should run those facilities.
- Floridians for School Choice: Action-oriented and effective advocacy for giving every family in Florida the opportunity to choose their child's school using public education funds as a scholarship.
- Fraser Institute - Competitive Market Solutions: See what Americans can learn from school choice success in Canada. The Case for School Choice: Models from the United States, New Zealand, Denmark, and Sweden.
- Freedom Of Education: News, information, essays, and links promoting educational liberty and separation of school and state.
- Grandfather Education Report: Series presents graphs, data, and analysis that show disturbing trends in performance, cost, grade inflation, testing standards, union power, bureaucracy.
- Kossor Education Newsletter: Psychological Treatment Programs Masquerading as Education revealed by a Certified School Psychologist who concludes that we must create alternative schools.
- Michigan Union Accountability Act:: Mackinac Center for Public Policy takes aim at teacher unions as the main barrier to School Choice. See study, proposed legislation, and other policy research.
- Micklethwait, Brian: Brian's Education Blog: A weblog about education policy.
- Milton & Rose D. Friedman Foundation: A foundation supported by Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman. Advocates restructuring the education system to ensure educational service competition and free choice.
- National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools: National organization supporting parents, students and teachers enrolled in alternative education. Membership information, publications, resources, jobs, news, and contact information.
- PACE Parents Advancing Choice in Education: Montgomery County, Ohio grassroots example of community scholarships and guidance, helping parents exercise choice.
- Parents In Charge - How Do We Build Better Schools: Policy brief focuses on teacher issues of quality and salary differentials affected by school choice.
- Reason Magazine - a dynamic libertarian perspective: NEA supporters are out of touch with the increasingly pro-voucher black community, Rep Jackson got booed off the stage when he spoke against school choice in Milwaukee.
- Reason magazine: Well-hyperlinked article thoroughly exploring aspects of choice. Reason's Education archives contain dozens more articles spanning several years.
- Resources for Teachers Needing Help: The American Society for Ethics in Education offers help to stop abuse and corruption where unions and school systems fail techers.
- Scholastic Achievement and Demographic Characteristics of Home School Students: 20,760 student achievement test scores and their family demographics make this the largest study of home education to date. In every subject and at every grade level of the test batteries, home school students scored significantly higher than their counterparts. Conducted by Dr. Lawrence M. Rudner, Director of the ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation.
- School Choice Act - MODEL LEGISLATION: Model School Choice legislation follows common sense objectives. Child-centered funding follows students, empowering parents and teachers, without vouchers.
- School Choice Information Center: Institute for Justice champions individual liberty, free market solutions, and limited government in their collection of school choice articles
- School Choice Programs: What's Happening in the States: This world renowned conservative research facility publishes details and statistics on each state's School Choice efforts, and maintains links to many other Choice sites.
- School Choice Research - Harvard University Index: Program on Education Policy and Governance presents research papers and executive summaries on the results of innovative US policies, including programs in Washington, DC, Dayton, Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- School Choice Research - Manhattan Institute Index: Comprehensive summary of education reform policy studies published by their Center for Civic Innovation.
- School Choice Research - The Cato Institute: Index: Extensive library of studies, articles and monographs based on classical values of individual liberty, limited government, free markets.
- School Choice Wars: John Merrifield, economics professor at University of Texas, in articles and a new book, explains why K-12 schools governed by market forces would be much more attractive to teachers than the status quo.
- School Choice Wisconsin: Provides information on the impact of school choice on families, communities, and schools.
- School Choice: Good for Teachers: A teacher explores reasons why Choice will increase demand and salaries for good teachers.
- School Choice: Issues and Answers: Citizens for a Sound Economy research paper is easy to read and well referenced. It covers 8 forms of Choice.
- School Choices: A Citizen's Guide to Education Reform: Latest worldwide research shows competitive schools serve families better than government run schools. Compares public school systems to free market alternatives based on vouchers, tax-credits, and privatization. Many essays, articles, book reviews, and complete book chapters included.
- School Reform News: Reprints of education articles reporting on school reform efforts nationwide from School Choice to Teacher Unions.
- School Reform News: The Heartland Institute's national monthly outreach publication for school reformers, with 1000s of articles on vouchers, test scores and graduation rates.
- School Vouchers Links: Definitions of some common terms used regarding the issue as well as links to sites for and against school choice through vouchers.
- Teachers for Better Education: Grass-roots organization of teachers who support school choice and the Opportunity Scholarship program.
- The Charter School Project: A non-profit organization networking with charter schools to bring about much needed education reform.
- The National Charter School Clearinghouse: Provides resources on Charter school research topics: funding, grant writing, fundraising tips, school accreditation, teacher certification, special needs, grants, charter school resources, school choice, and education reform.
- The Right Thing; Why liberals should be pro-choice: A Brookings Institution fellow, in The New Republic, discusses emerging political constituencies for Choice versus the cognitive dissonance created by our current government monopoly.
- The Union That Killed Education: Newsmax.com Book review "The Worm in the Apple: How the Teachers Unions Are Destroying American Education," a new book by Peter Brimelow
- Universal Tuition Tax Credit: Mackinac Center for Public Policy - "Proposal to Advance Parental Choice in Education". Also available as a 76 page download.
- Unnatural Monopoly in Education: Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty. Think-tank studies focus on economics of parents exercising their God-given rights as primary educators of children.
- Virtual Charters: Public Schooling at Home: K12, a Virtual charter school led by former education secretary, Bill Bennett, provides free curriculum, computers and connections for homeschoolers.
- Who Got It Right? Retrospective on the Department of Education: Thomas Fordham think tank juxtaposes federal bureaucratic promises with lack of results, concluding that in 20 years DOE has wasted billions satisfying teachers unions, and is detrimental to education.
- Why School Vouchers Can Help Inner-City Children: The Manhattan Institute feature article by The Honorable Kurt L. Schmoke, Mayor of Baltimore "The City That Reads."
- WorldNetDaily: Vouching for Liberty by Alan Keyes: Article by the conservative commentator proposing public school choice in the United States without vouchers.
- Zelman v. Simmons-Harris: Actual June 2002 supreme court decision stating for the fourth time that school choice has no first amendment problem in religious schools. Acrobat format.