Search Home : Society : Issues : Environment : Health
- Burning Issues: Research and data on wood smoke pollution and combustion particulates. Research shows that 60,000 people in the US die each year from smoke pollution. Site chosen by the BBC Education Directory for excellence in the information presented.
- Beyond Pesticides: National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides provides information on pesticides. Current actions and newsletters including pesticide safety and alternatives.
- CQS Health and Environment: Health alert and toxic alert information about health, fitness, and the environment and their intimate connection. Activist group's site. Some alternative views on HIV and AIDS.
- Californians for Pesticide Reform (CPR): Resource designed to aid in understanding the chronic and acute health impacts of pesticides. Provide review of studies linking pesticides with chronic and acute diseases.
- Canadians Against Pesticides: Informing Canadians of pesticide risks. Actions against pesticides and toxins.
- Cancer Incidence in Natick, Massachusetts: Provides information on environmental problems and certain rising cancer incidence data.
- Civitas - Citizens for Planetary Health: Promotes environmental and human health by exposing harmful practices and policies such as relying upon unscientific animal experiments to justify poisoning the environment and to predict the effects of toxins and medicines on humans.
- Combination of Pesticides Linked to Parkinson's Disease: A combination of two widely used agricultural pesticides - but neither one alone - creates in mice the exact pattern of brain damage that doctors see in patients with Parkinson's disease.
- Composted Kitchen Waste May Put Heavy Metals In The Soil: Some systems of ecological arable farming in developed countries, which use only organic fertilisers contaminate the soil with levels of cadmium, copper and lead which are twice as high as when a combination of both animal manure and artificial fertiliser is used. (Studied samples using kitchen waste)
- Conspiracy of Silence: Documents a PCB spill and clean up, industries reaction and the eventual ban of the sale of PCB's.
- Consumers for a Toxic-Free America Petition: Petition against the toxic and carcinogenic ingredients found in cosmetic, personal care, and household products.
- Greenpeace Chemical Kitchen: Interactive guide of chemicals in kitchen products that cause harmful pollution in the environment and are toxic to humans. Names those cleaning products that do not contain these long-lasting, toxic chemicals.
- Infertility: "The global fertility rate has dropped by nearly half since 1955! The cumulative effects of radiation-caused infertility raise the possibility of gradual human extinction." Article from "The Golem" (no date given).
- Insecticide Causes Mad Cow Disease: Research that shows insecticide used in the UK government warble-fly campaigns triggered the UK surge of 'Mad Cow' disease. Latest experiments by Cambridge University prion specialist David R. Brown shows that prions in the bovine spine can be damaged by organophosphate insecticides causing the disease. Optimal Wellness Center News.
- Is Global Warming Harmful to Health?: Computer models indicate that many diseases will surge as the earth's atmosphere heats up. Signs of the predicted troubles have begun to appear. Scientific American.
- Lindane Information: Offers scientific articles and reasons to ban the pesticide, Lindane.
- Long Islanders Against Pesticides: LIAP is a non-profit community education organization providing information on the use of pesticides in the New York and Long Island communities.
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Toxic Chemicals and Health: NRDC provides information, reports, fact sheets and studies on everyday health threats posed by toxic chemicals and pesticides.
- New York Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides: Provides information to assess the risks posed by pesticide use and alternatives to pesticides,.
- Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides: NCAP works to protect people and the environment by advancing healthy solutions to pest problems. Provide news and information on pesticide issues.
- Parents Against Leukaemia: Action `group` highlighting the possible link between emf and leukaemia. Background information, personal stories, contact information and links.
- Penn State Pesticide Use: Pennsylvania arborist obtained list of ten tons of herbicides used at Penn State to maintain lawn and other appearances. This documents his correspondence on subject.
- Pesticide Action Network International: Network of over 600 participating nongovernmental organizations, institutions and individuals in over 60 countries working to replace the use of hazardous pesticides with ecologically sound alternatives. Projects and campaigns are coordinated by five autonomous Regional Centers.
- Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA): Organization working to reduce the use of hazardous pesticides world wide.
- Pesticide Action Network Pesticide Database: Provides pesticide information from many different sources. Includes definitions, references and user manual.
- Pesticide Action Network UK: Provides information on health effects of pesticides, news, campaigns and projects.
- Pesticide Education Center: Provides information on health effects of pesticides. Promote safer alternative pest control methods to the public through videos, books and other materials.
- Pesticide Policy Project: Promote development and testing methodologies for crop protection policy reform. Provide information on alternative crop protection methods like integrated pest management.
- Pesticide Watch: Information about pesticides and the problems associated with pesticide use. Provide California communities with the tools they need to protect themselves and the environment from the hazards of pesticides.
- Pollution 'Damages Intelligence': Environmental damage is sapping the intelligence of millions of people globally, says a British social scientist. BBC News.
- Produce Items May Exceed EPA Standards: Pesticide residue levels on produces exceed EPA standards. Washingtonpost.
- Radioactive Polonium: Article, references and background information on Polonium exposure and the attendant health risks.
- Safelawn Alliance: Dedicated to highlighting the inherent risk lawn chemicals pose to human and ecological well-being. Offers non-toxic alternatives and downloadable placards.
- The Ailing Environment : Perspective by Stephen J. Gislason on how the environment is getting sicker and making people sicker.
- The Healthy Community: One for All, All for One: Chapter from the free online book, How to Get the Best Medical Care - A Guide for the Intelligent Patient. Discusses the environments effect on human health.
- The Purdey Environmental Home Page: Mark Purdey's research into how organophosphate pesticides and other pollutants may be causing diseases such as BSE, CJD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Alzheimer's.
- The Women's Environmental Network: WEN campaigns on issues that link women, health and the environment. Campaigns promote positive alternatives to polluting practices and consumer items. Provides information on environmental health, food and genetic engineering.
- Toxic Detective - Interview with Dr Dick Van Steenis: Investigation by Dick van Steenis into asthma, cancer and other diseases in areas near power stations and cement works in Britain.
- Toxic Substances and Kids Developmental Effects: Information about the effects of mercury, toxic metals, endocrine disrupting chemicals, air pollution on kids health.
- WWF Toxics Programme: News, publications, factsheets, and other resources from an initiative to end threats to biodiversity from the use of toxic chemicals.
- Workplace Toxins Can Kill at Home: Investigation found that employees in more than 35 states have unwittingly transported toxins away from work sites exposing family members. USA Today.