Search Home : Society : Issues : Health : Body Image
- AdiosBarbie.com: Articles, features, news and polls on a variety of body image topics.
- Anachick's Haven: Journal and personal site of a recovering anorexic.
- Body Image: This is an useful, informative website that uncovers the issue of body image, why women have become preoccupied with their appearance, and how the media reflects upon these.
- Body Image Health: Promoting healthy body image attitudes. Preventing eating and weight concerns.
- Body Positive: Features articles, forums, psychological exercises, activism ideas, and resources.
- Chronic Illness and Body Image: An article from Rest Ministries on negative body image in people with chronic illness, and its psychological effects.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy as a Treatment for Body Image Dissatisfaction: Brief overview of a report by Vanderbilt University's psychology department, exploring cognitive behavior therapy as treatment for body image disatisfaction.
- Council on Size and Weight Discrimination: Articles, links and resources on discrimination and media images, with information about how to become a media-watch volunteer.
- Detroit News: Immigrant Girls Suffer from Anorexia: Article on the pressures faced by immigrant girls seeking acceptance in US society.
- Disability Cool: Sexuality 'R Us: Article exploring the link between fat oppression and the experiences of women with disabilities.
- Does Your Daughter Have a Positive Body Image?: Teenage girls tend to struggle with body image in far greater numbers than boys.
- Don't Tell Me What Size I Must B: An international `group` of women, dedicated to halting the discrimination against plus size women by the media and fashion industries.
- I Am Beautiful: Aiming to promote self-esteem through self-discovery. Includes excerpts and ordering for the book and video, resources including a quiz, messageboard and links.
- Male Body Image: Brief article examining the idea of male bodily perfection.
- Mirror, Mirror: From the Social Issues Research Center, a summary of findings on body image.
- My Flatsy Forum: Support forum for flat-chested women.
- NPR : Beauty Series, Part 1: Setting the Beauty Agenda: NPR's Susan Stamberg talks with Linda Wells, editor of Allure magazine about the magazine, its coverage of beauty issues, and how it chooses what goes on the cover. [6:10 Realaudio broadcast]
- NPR : Beauty Series, Part 2: Pitching Beauty to Teens: Jean Kilbourne, author of Can't Buy My Love -- How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel, says the media have created an ideal of beauty for young girls that is dangerously unachievable. Kilbourne speaks with NPR's Susan Stamberg in the second in a series of conversations on the nature of beauty. [6:44 Realaudio broadcast]
- Normal Breasts Gallery: Pictures of normal (non-sexual) breasts, big, small, flat-chested, sagging, asymmetrical, different size areolas, with the purpose that women and girls can stop worrying about the size and shape of their own.
- Psychology: Body Image: Information on a collection of documentary films and videos on body image, primarily for educational use from Film Makers Libraries.
- Rocki's Hips and Curves Appreciation Page: Dedicated to the plus-sized woman. Includes photos and tributes to famous larger women and positive messages for women about loving their bodies.
- Short Persons Support: Provides support and reference material to persons of short stature and creates a forum to teach people about the social issues of being short. [Society/Support_Groups/]
- Small Step: Stories, newsletter, tips and recipes geared to helping people manage their weight and body image.
- Suite101: Body Size Issues and Concerns: Articles and forum about body size issues and concerns.
- The Body Burden - Living in the Shadow of Barbie: Information about and reviews of the book by Stacey Handler, granddaughter of the woman who created the Barbie doll, in which she openly discloses her own battle with her body image.
- The Cincinnati Post: Better Dead than Fat: Short article about poll findings that women would choose weight loss over longevity.
- The Psychology of Ideal Body Image: Article by Barbara A. Cohen, Ph.D. examining the psychology of the idealized body.
- Tit 4 Tat: Where attitude and apparel intersect. Library of articles and links.
- Women's Body Image: Contains a definition of the term, student's thoughts, and discussion of the health effects of poor body image, and of the impact of the media.
This category in other languages: