Search Home : Society : Issues : Human Rights and Liberties
- 8th Day Center for Social Justice: A multi-issue, social justice center supported and staffed by 30 congregations of nuns, priests and brothers which promotes analysis and action.
- Access Human Rights: A portal to human rights resources on the net, including news, government bodies, law, and treaties.
- Advanced Organizational Behaviour: Aims to draw attention to various covert practices and to stimulate discussion of their human rights implications. Underlying principles are explained and UK case studies are supplied.
- Anita Roddick: The founder of the Body Shop reports and comments on activism, ethical business, human rights and environmentalism in a global perspective.
- Artists for a New South Africa: ANSA is a non-profit organization founded and supported by artists, activists and others dedicated to furthering democracy and equality in South Africa and civil rights in the U.S.
- Bayefsky.com: Encompasses the full range of data concerning the application of the UN human rights treaty system by its monitoring treaty bodies since their inauguration.
- Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change: A research center dedicated to advancing the understanding and pursuing the goals of the American civil rights movement.
- Bodhi Journal Human Rights: A collection of links, news and info on human rights with an emphasis on Tibet.
- Child Liberation: Information and perspectives on children's rights and child liberation.
- Civil Liberties: From About.com - Columns, link libraries, polls, and discussions about personal liberty issues.
- ColorQ Human Rights Corner: Features stories and links on worldwide human rights violations, particularly issues that receive little attention from the Western media.
- Commission on Human Security: Two broad areas of research and related consultative processes inform the Commission's deliberations: human insecurities resulting from conflict and violence; and the links between human security and development.
- Comparative Democratization Project, Stanford - Human Rights: Links to Internet resources on human rights.
- Concise Guide to Human Rights on the Internet: Resource for finding information about human rights on the internet. Links to organizations worldwide addressing human rights issues.
- Derechos Cafe - A Human Rights Hangout: News, articles, links and chat groups about human rights issues.
- Development Gateway Youth Portal: Brings young people together to interactively discuss the environment, Youth in Conflict, HIV AIDS, and other development topics. Links to articles on youth and human rights.
- Directory of Human Rights Resources on the Internet: Compiled by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Includes brief descriptions of organizations and contact information.
- Earth As It Is: Features political, censorship and human rights news from around the world.
- For the Record: The UN Human Rights System: Country-by-country summary of the work of UN human rights mechanisms.
- Freedom Magazine: In Support of Human Rights: Explores the role of investigative reporting in restoring human rights.
- Friends of People Close to Nature: Network of individuals and groups concerned with the survival of savage tribal peoples, in particular hunter-gatherers.
- Gendercide Watch: Confronts gender-selective atrocities against men and women worldwide. Includes a growing database of historical and contemporary case-studies of gendercide, research materials, and up-to-date media coverage.
- Global Witness homepage: Highlighting the links between environmental exploitation and human rights abuses, particularly where natural resources such as timber, diamonds and oil are used to fund conflict.
- HB-Rights.org: Provides an overview of individual rights, including parent, student, cyber, property and privacy rights.
- Hate Crime Premise: Opinion paper discussing the assumptions behind the trend toward outlawing hate crimes, and the similarity to Orwell's concept of "thoughtcrime."
- Human Rights: Resource on United States human rights issues including asylum, the death penalty, land mine manufacturers, police brutality, and prison conditions.
- Human Rights & Human Welfare: An International Review: An international review of books and other publications in the area of global human rights. Published at the Graduate School of International Studies, University of Denver.
- Human Rights Alerts: From Peace Brigades International.
- Human Rights Discussion List: Active mail list and discussion on subject. Bilingual, English y Español.
- Human Rights Education Resource Centre: Includes searchable databases, full-text education and training materials and interactive distance learning tools on human rights.
- Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems: HURIDOCS is a global network of organisations concerned with human rights. Functions as a decentralised network in which organisations can handle and exchange information according to their own requirements.
- Human Rights Initiative: Multiyear research and dialogue project of the Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs. Aims to provide critical perspective of what happens when international human rights confront realities on the ground.
- Human Rights Internet: Provides human rights publications, information on children's rights and the UN human rights system, and listing of human rights organizations worldwide.
- Human Rights Law and Issues at Suite 101: A site of passion on human rights law and issues, as well as humanity for all mankind. Various concepts of human rights law and issues, and country-specific insider views on specific incidents.
- Human Rights Net: Non-profit organisation introducing human rights concepts and values into educational curricula and teaching practices. Host to a number of human rights sites, and a listing of resources.
- Human Rights Network International (: HRNi publishes academic and reference materials pertaining to a wide range of human rights issues.
- Human Rights Professional Interest Council: Harvard's intercommunity human rights `resource` (HRPIC) is an educational and professional `resource` as well as communication network for those interested in the practice of human rights.
- Human Rights Reporting: Information about an annual seminar at Columbia University surveying the cutting-edge issues in promoting human rights, with a focus on reporting techniques.
- Human Rights Voice: Non profit organization involved in the sphere of international human rights, global security, economic development, economic justice and international justice, business and economic rights, and conflict resolution.
- Human Rights Watch World Report 2001: Human Rights Watch's eleventh annual review of human rights practices around the globe covers developments in 70 countries. The report reflects extensive investigative work.
- Human Rights Watch World Report 2002: Twelfth annual review of human rights practices and developments in sixty-six countries, covering the period from November 2000 through November 2001.
- Human Rights Watch World Report 2003: Thirteenth annual review of human rights practices around the globe. Identifies positive and negative trends within the sphere of human rights in fifty-eight countries, covering the period from November 2001 through November 2002.
- Human Rights and Liberties Page: Links to articles, resources, organizations, and primary documents dealing with all facets of human rights and freedoms.
- Human Rights and Peace Campaign: This is an interactive online human rights server.
- Human Strategies for Human Rights: Human rights non-profit that provides organizational capacity building, skills training and human rights education to grassroots NGOs.
- Human and Constitutional Rights: Includes constitutional rights charts, links to human rights and constitutional rights websites, news, and resources.
- Humanlex: Categorised links related to the field of international law and international human rights law. In English and French.
- Iain Rowan's Human Rights Information: Details of the Wearside, UK branch of Amnesty International. Links to human rights campaigning resources and organisations.
- IntellectualLoafing.com: Discusses value of human rights and whether or not governments have the moral right to violate them in defence of human lives.
- International Dalit Solidarity Network: IDSN campaigns against caste-based discrimination throughout the world from India to Nigeria and Japan.
- International Human Rights: Features college papers, posters and links to web sites about international human rights' issues.
- International Human Rights Respect: Articles and resources for individuals concerned and interested in all aspects of human rights.
- International Human Rights: The Pursuit of an Ideal: The goal of this site is to present an objective view of human rights. Topics that have been researched include the history of human rights and the pioneers responsible for it, and issues germane to the topic.
- International Network for Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights: ESCR-Net brings together diverse groups and activists committed to human rights and social justice in order to share information and strategies, establish stronger links across border and disciplines, develop a collective voice, and facilitate collaborative work among members.
- Look Into My I :The Freedom Paintings: Rebecca Barrington's plea for privacy in the public sector. Eight powerful freedom paintings from the LuLu Eccentrix Art Gallery depicting the loss of freedom.
- Netherlands Institute of Human Rights (SIM): Studies and gathers human rights documentation.
- Peaceful Action: A place to speak out: Offers a forum and news about human rights related and environmental issues. It is a platform where anyone can voice his or her opinion.
- Rights Advocates: An interactive medium for expression of breaches of human rights. Also information and advice on human rights can be found here.
- Rights Consortium: A team of Non-Governmental Organizations dedicated to promoting the rule of law and human rights worldwide.
- Rights and Liberties: Offers links to recent news about human rights and civil liberties.
- Speak Truth To Power: Dedicated to the promotion of human rights awareness. A not-for-profit organization that seeks to proactively engage the general public in an ongoing series of issue-related programs and events.
- Stop Abuse of Vulnerable People: Stopping abusive institutions, exposing abusers and helping survivors, uncovering pedophile rings in Childrens Homes and protesting abusive mental health treatment.
- Strategic Choices in the Design of Truth Commissions: Site seeks to aid decision makers in societies interested in establishing a Truth Commission via analysis of the structure, design choices, and impacts of past Commissions.
- The Business of Torture: Article by Dr. Sam Vaknin describes some examples of the business of torture in various countries.
- The Human Rights Initiative at Georgia Institute of Technology: This site is dedicated to publishing information on human rights, technology and globalization at Georgia Tech and in the wider world.
- The Human Rights Web: Human rights resources including links to relevant documents.
- The International Association for Religious Freedom: Supports freedom of religion and belief as defined by international law. The IARF has general consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
- The International Monitor Institute Archives: Advanced media research for human rights. Video, audio and photography pertaining to human rights worldwide, particularly in the former Yugoslavia, Burma, Cambodia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and the Middle East.
- The Observer - Special Reports: Liberty Watch: Covers international events and issues about balancing civil liberties and security, featuring an ongoing collection of news, analysis and comment.
- The United States and 'The Challenge of Relativity': Review by US political dissident Noam Chomsky of the United States' own appalling record on human rights - not in the distant past, but in the last 50 years and continuing right up to this day.
- Together against Torture: Describes the horrible crime of torture, and the passivity of bystanders. Offers ideas and links to take action, and links to U.S. and international organizations.
- Torture by Proxy: Karen L. Snell,a specialist in constitutional litigation and international extradition, comments on Kenneth Starr's comments in The Washington Post suggesting the U.S. should cast aside traditional civil liberties in the fight against terrorism.
- U.S. Report Stresses Religious Rights: In releasing the annual assessment of human rights in other countries, Secretary of State Madeleine Albright pledged to make the promotion of religious liberty a top priority of U.S. foreign policy.
- U.S. State Department Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: The reports cover internationally recognized individual, civil, political, and worker rights, as set forth in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Updated annually.
- U.S. State Department on religious intolerance: Details from the second annual report on international religious freedom from the U.S. State Department. Examples of religious intolerance provided. Article dated Sept 2000.
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights:
- USA Patriot Act in Bellingham: Talking points on the USA Patriot Act and transcript of the referendum to be put to the Bellingham City Council.
- United Human Rights Council: Works toward correcting the human rights violations of those governments who distort, deny, and delude their own history to disguise genocides, massacres, and human rights violations. Includes sections on various cases.
- United Nations Agreements on Human Rights: Summary page with links to full document.
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Children: Text of the convention provided by Save The Children Canada.
- University of Minnesota Human Rights Meta Search Engine: Meta search engine for searching multiple human rights sites. Library contains a large collection of international human rights, and links to other human rights and international law sites.
- Visual Encounters with the Human Effort: Photos from humanitarian missions by Denise Blievert. Focus on children and post-war situations.
- World Audit of Democracy and Human Rights: Focus is on democracy, human rights, press freedom, corruption and the rule of law. Daily news on democracy and human rights, links and e-commerce facilities for human rights publications.
This category in other languages: