Search Home : Society : Issues : Intellectual Property
- A Politics Of Intellectual Property: Environmentalism for the Net? by James Boyle: Paper by James Boyle calling for reduction of intellectual property laws, to be achieved by political machination inspired by the environmental movement.
- A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property": This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws.
- Brian Martin: Against intellectual property: An Australian university gives a powerful case against "intellectual property" laws. Includes a long bibliography of books supporting the point.
- Bunop's Intellectual Property Pencil: Irony exposing the limitations of a shrink-wrap license.
- Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property: Guide to computer ethics issues and current news includes an introduction to the problematic copyright issues raised by digital media.
- Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX): A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site]
- Giftfile Project: A project to enable authors of computer files containing nonproprietary intellectual works (free music, literature, software) and their supporters (including fans, users) to participate in a gift economy.
- IP Future: This `group` is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners.
- IP Matters: A pro-IP publication devoted to intellectual property matters. Includes features, interviews, research reports and analysis, and IP statistics.
- Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property: A chapter from the book Information Liberation, written by Brian Martin.
- Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping: Article that proposes (with case studies) that tipping may be a viable compensation model for intellectual property (such as music and books).
- Intellectual Property Issues: An impressive list of links to articles concerning intellectual "property" issues, from all sides.
- Intellectual Property Rights Overview: The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age.
- Intellectual Property at the National Academies: A guide to the Academies' documents and publications on Intellectual Property and a forum to discuss ongoing work.
- Invention Development Group: Offers information on intellectual property agreements, patents, product licensing, and trademarking.
- Library Juice Copyright Issue: A supplement to the weekly e-zine Library Juice from September, 2000, devoted to the political and philosophical issues of intellectual property, especially as they relate to libraries and the internet.
- Mid-Atlantic Infoshop - Against Intellectual Property: A page critical of copyrights, trademarks, and intellectual property.
- Negativland - Fair Use: An essay exploring whether artists, for profit or not, have the right to freely "sample" from an already "created" electronic environment that surrounds them for use in their own work.
- Roundtable - 98.09: An Atlantic Unbound roundtable on the future of intellectual property and copyright law in the digital age
- The GNU Manifesto: The last name in software freedom...this outlines the reasons that "Gnu's Not Unix" produces free software.
- The Mark is the Beast: An article describing the change in the usage of trademarks, and how it stifles our use of our own language.
- The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works: Article exposing that the cable television industry is moving to implement a copy protection scheme that will allow movie studios and cable providers to control what viewers are able to record.
- The Right to Read: Richard Stallman's famous parable about the Right to Read, and what will happen if intellectual monopoly laws continue to grow.
- University of Toronto Fraud: A PhD student alleges theft of intellectual property.
- Weaving Webs of Ownership: Intellectual Property in an Information Age: Debora J. Halbert's doctoral dissertation in progress concerning on intellectual property laws in the West.
- Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded: Article comparing today's toughening of US intellectual property laws to help given to the US shipping industry 30 years ago, resulting in even greater losses for US firms, higher prices, and frustrated consumers.
- bIPlog: Weblog on intellectual property issues.
This category in other languages: