Search Home : Society : Issues : Science and Technology : Computers : Internet
- The Center for the Study of Technology and Society: News updates from around the world concerning information technology, privacy and security. Articles deal with DNA databases, web monitoring, employee privacy. Links to other resources concerned with personal privacy and security on the Internet. Can subscribe to mailing list.
- American Library Association Office for Information Technology Policy: Deals with a variety of Internet related issues including copyrights, the digital divide, Internet governance, and telecommunications. Has links to legislation and other important sites.
- Child Online Protection Act: Text of 1998 House Report 105-775 from EPIC.
- Closing the Digital Divide: Provides survey and demographic information on access to the internet, as well as data on underserved populations and areas. Created by the US Department of Commerce.
- Computer underground Digest: A more-or-less weekly digest/newsletter/journal of debates, news, research, and discussion of legal, social, and other issues related to computer culture.
- CorpWatch - Internet Politics: The Internet can be an activist tool or a corporate vehicle for international trade and commerce. Here you'll find information on both sides of the Internet coin.
- EcoFuture Privacy Page: A link list for privacy organizations and software. Includes listings for contact to remove your name from junk mail databases. Lots of information on cookies, censorship, proxies.
- Electronic Privacy Organizations and Resources: On site information and links to electronic privacy resources from Cornell University's Computer Policy and Law Program.
- How Stuff Works: How the FBI's Carnivore Works: In-depth narrative explains what exactly the FBI's Carnivore is, where it came from, how it works, and what its purpose is, with many related links.
- InfoReading: A variety of computer related issues from stopping the Motion Picture Association's fight for tougher copyrights to on-line tutorials for web page codes. Many links to other sites.
- Interasia - Social Usage of Internet in Asia: Part of the Institute for Design and Technology Assessment Program headquartered in Austria. This particular organization focuses on the social impact of the Internet in Malaysia and Vietnam. Has links to news articles about other developing areas.
- Littering the Information Superhighway: Homepage link to information about privacy, spam, and issues concerning data quality.
- NYTimes.com - Dirty Laundry, Online for All to See: Cincinnati, Ohio has put public documents online at courtclerk.org, and this has had a divisive impact on the community. [Requires free NYTimes.com registration to view.]
- NYTimes.com - Pop Go Those Blasted Pop-Up Ads, iVillage Decrees: Pop-up windows have earned the scorn of readers, who say they find the ads' multiplying images annoying. iVillage, a network of Web sites for women, says it is heeding its readers' complaints and plans to eliminate most pop-up advertising by Sept. 30, 2002 on all its sites.
- The Center for the Study of Technology & Society: A weekly e-mail update that keeps readers informed of the many ways technology affects society.
- W.H.O.A. - Working to Halt Online Abuse: The mission of W.H.O.A. is to educate the Internet community about online harassment, empower victims of harassment, and formulate voluntary policies that systems can adopt in order to create harassment-free environments.
- Web Epistemology - The Web as Distributed Knowledge: Research project for the study of the web from an epistemological standpoint: relevance, authority and epistemic deference, democratization of knowledge, distributed cognition.
- Women-Related Internet Info Email Lists: List of news and discussion groups for women interested in the digital divide based on gender.
- Yahoo! News Full Coverage - Online Privacy: News articles gathered from a variety of sources concerning privacy and the Internet. Up-to-date on issues. Internal search engine. Includes links to organizations concerned with personal privacy on the Net.
- ZDNet: Open Access: What's At Stake?: Detailed analysis and forum of social, technical and legal aspects of access to broadband Internet networks.