Search Home : Society : Lifestyle Choices : Voluntary Simplicity
- Hermitary: Offers resources and reflections on hermits, eremiticism, and solitude, which is a form of voluntary simplicity. Includes articles on historical and living hermits, news, book reviews, and philosophical essays on solitude.
- Lifestyle Changes at Innerself.com: Articles by a variety of authors on changing our lifestyles to be happier and healthier. Some of the modifications deal with attitudes, others with learned behavior.
- A Family Living in Voluntary Simplicity: A family which strives to maintain a life of voluntary simplicity through homeschooling, organic farming, music, yoga and ecology.
- A Real Hermit: A photographic story about a hermit that lives in the woods of Ohio, describing his lifestyle in a tiny cabin.
- A Real Life Magazine: Simple Organic Living: A Real Life magazine offers unique, practical, upbeat inspiration to create a simpler, healthier, more balanced and fulfilling life in an earthy and intimate ad-free format.
- Affluenza: PBS Program on the Epidemic of Overconsumption: The online companion to the PBS program on the high social and environmental costs of overconsumption and materialism, helps to recognize and treat affluenza as well as educate the public.
- Alternatives for Simple Living: Organization that is working to equip people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly. Started in 1973 as a protest against the commercialization of Christmas.
- Barenakedfamily.com: Family whose values include getting rid of stuff to simplify their lives and live their dreams. Describes their eccentric traveling lifestyle and unschooling with photos.
- Better Times Webzine: An e-zine of sustainable, simple, and frugal living, published by the Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House.
- Car Living: The definitive survival guide to living in your car, with real stories, information and resources. Simple living at its extreme.
- Center For a New America Dream: Non-profit movement of anti-consumerism - simplifying lifestyles by reducing waste and only buying what is needed in order to be happier and preserve the earth.
- Cyber Simplify your Life: Provides practical hints on how to create your own meaning for information to prevent overload, communication crisis and technostress. Includes coaching tips and stress-reduction exercises.
- David's Page: Covers David MacClement's effort living a comfortable but ascetic human life, to be autonomous of the globalized economy. Includes essays on sustainability, work, wealth distribution, and voluntary simplicity.
- Deliberate Life: Comprehensive articles on simple living, homesteading and sustainability, and a community with forum.
- Desiderata: A famous poem and declaration of what is essential to one's life and how to live peacefully.
- Fringe Wisdom: Spirituality, Love, Food, Nature, and The Art of Being Human: How to change the common point of view which is destroying our world, to one that teaches us to nurture, sustain life on this planet, and evolve.
- Getting a Life: Information, ideas, philosophy and articles on voluntary simplicity, sustainability and spirituality. It focuses on the practical application of the "Your Money or Your Life" program and the concepts of the "Ecological Footprint" to achieve a sustainable future.
- Hitch Hike Mike: Mike Gitelman: A Canadian hitchhiker and traveller, with his autobiographical writings on his voluntary homelessness, and a description of his simple life in a tree house.
- Idaho Freedom: Forums about homesteading, voluntary simplicity and homeschooling for those wanting to return to a simpler lifestyle.
- Life: News about Sustainable Healthy Living: News and articles about sustainable living, health, family, livelihood, and mostly voluntary simplicity, since 1976.
- Live Simple: An E-book that sets out specific suggestions for simplifying possessions, home, daily routines, personal goals, and use of resources.
- Live Simply With Style: Authors Mary Helen and Shuford Smith offer retirement, travel, and photography tips for a simple lifestyle.
- Living Lightly on the Earth: This site is based on an assumption that every human being has a right to an equal share of physical space on this planet, purely by virtue of being human.
- Living Simply: Quick tips and short but informative articles on simplifying your life and prioritizing your time to get more out of life.
- Living Simply at Suite 101: Tips, information, encouragement, and discussion for those who wish to take control of their lives and learn to relax and simplify.
- Living Without a Car: Thoughts and Ideas: Suggests alternatives such as walking, bicycle and public transport. The practical aspects of living without a car in Sydney, Australia with links to relevant sites.
- MindfulCanada: The Canadian Voluntary Simplicity Network: A Canadian online community, message boards, newsletter and information on being mindful of what we are doing to reduce the impact we have on our own lives and the earth.
- New Liberty Village: A community and network of websites with articles on self-sufficiency, voluntary simplicity, and spirituality. A movement of ideas and freedom which is providing an online school of right living.
- Northwest Earth Institute: Discussion courses on sustainability, deep ecology, living in place, and the practice of simplicity for groups and individuals in the Northwest and across the United States.
- Path to Freedom - One Step at A Time: Strives to inspire individuals to "think globally, act locally" by motivating them to live a simpler and more fulfilling life.
- Pioneer Thinking - Capturing the Essence of Simple Living: Internet natural living community. Share health, home, and beauty tips, mens health, and crafts.
- Real Simple: An online magazine devoted to simplifying life and making it more meaningful for busy people, based on the print magazine.
- RichGiving: Learning to Make Giving More Meaningful: Community site exploring ways to make gift giving more meaningful, through giving of the self, for the soul and for the future. Emphasis on ecology, sustainability, simplicity and spirituality.
- Seeds of Simplicity: A program of the Center for Religion, Ethics and Social Policy at Cornell University, Seeds of Simplicity is a national, nonprofit public-membership organization working to help build a strong voice for voluntary simplicity as an authentic social justice and environmental movement.
- Simple Abundance: Sarah Breathnach's official website for her series, 'Simple Abundance'. Simple appreciation of every day life and beautiful things.
- Simple Living Network: Sponsors a huge range of simple living resources as well as communities and books. A one-stop place for most subjects involving simplifying your own life.
- Simple Living Resource Guide: Resource guide for people interested in voluntary simplicity, simple living, and downsizing, maintained by the Pierce Simplicity Study.
- Simple Living Tips: Advice and simple living tips on fitness, home decoration, clothing, and more. Learn how to focus on what's important instead of spending lots of money, from a Christian perspective.
- Simply Living: An non-profit organization in central Ohio, educating people to live responsibly and sustainably in a joyful relationship with the earth and one another.
- The Center for Whole Communities: Beautiful learning center dedicated to nurturing the relationship between people and the land, a community gathering place, and a working family farm in Fayston, VT.
- The Garden: A community of people on the internet who are striving for growth and transformatio, for creating a beautiful place in our own lives and on the Internet, and at the same time helping to preserve and restore some of the beauty of our planet.
- The Journal of Voluntary Simplicity: Subscription information for the quarterly journal about simplifying our lives. Includes information on related books.
- The Lifestyle Movement: A UK movement working towards living in a way that uses the earth's resources responsibly, and also for social justice and equality.
- The New Road Map Foundation: Providing people with practical tools and innovative approaches for managing and mastering basic life challenges.
- The Simple Times Newsletter: Free twice-a-month e-mail publication dedicated to the pursuit of simple living. Includes regular topic list.
- Thoughts on Voluntary Simplicity: Explains the difference between voluntary simplicity and frugality; articles on topics such as building the simple life.
- Unconventional Ideas: A philosophical toolkit to help people free themselves from the mainstream American Dream.
- Voice Yourself: Project started by Woody Harrelson and Laura Louie to encourage citizens to protest pollution of the air, soil, and water through everyday choices and behaviors. Includes information about their bike and bus tour, recipes, a guide to farms, and a forum.
- Voluntary Simplicity Overview: Essay on voluntary simplicity and why it is gaining acceptance, as well of some of the movement's roots in the 70's.
- Voluntary Simplicity Study Circles by Janet Luhrs: Article from In Context on Janet Luhrs' study circles in sustainable agriculture and voluntary simplicity.
- Voluntary Simplicity from Natural Life Magazine: Articles on voluntary simplicity from the online version of Natural Life magazine, a periodical promoting natural living, home business and environmentally friendly products.
- Welcome to Raven Talk: Raventalk is a portal for exploring how to create a sustainable planet future. Provides connections to people, activists and ideas which are working towards a healthy and sustainable planet for all living beings
- Wilderdom: A Project in Natural Living & Transformation: Wilderdom refers to "natural living". They seek to explore human-nature relations and to derive sustainable solutions to modern-living. Wilderdom is also a sustainable living center in Australia.
- Work, Money, Time, Future - Arbeit, Geld, Zeit, Zukunft: Thoughts on work, money, time and future with questions that make us reconsider what we are doing to impact our lives and the future.