Search Home : Society : Organizations : Education : Literacy
- ABC Learn: Non-profit agency providing supplemental literacy instruction to at-risk students and recent juvenile releases.
- Adult Basic Education Society: A non-profit Pakistani organisation focusing on producing adult literacy material, including textbooks/primers, audio-visual material and teacher training programmes. Their programme is especially useful as they have made their material available in Urdu (Pakistan's main language).
- Alabama Reading Association: Events, projects, newsletter, pictures, and membership and contact details.
- Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE): Promoting self-sufficiency through literacy in the developing world.
- Center for Academic and Reading Skills: Research facility that studies how reading and other academic skills develop in normal and academically disabled children, and children who are underachievers.
- Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement: Resources pertaining to early literacy, including Power Point presentations, hot lists for reading teachers and tutors, and a searchable database.
- Centre for Family Literacy: Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The Centre offers a variety of family and adult literacy programs.
- Cooperation for Advancement, Rehabilitation and Education (CARE): A non-governmental organisation working to promote education in Pakistan. CARE aims to provide basic education to as many children as it can reach, thus filling the void left by the inadequacy of government policy/plans for education. Mission, history, projects, news and press, contact information, and ways to support the group.
- Delaware Valley Reading Association: A local council of the International Reading Association, DVRA provides professional development and additional leadership in promoting literacy in the Delaware Valley of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Feed the Minds: A charity which supports literacy, publishing and education in developing countries through grants. It also publishes a theological book review and is a source of literature for theological colleges. Find details about projects and grants, news, literacy, events, contact information, and opportunities to get involved.
- First Book: U.S. nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide disadvantaged children with new books.
- Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) Hawai`i: A US federal program with a mission to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. News and events, participating schools, tutor recruiting details, and contact information.
- Global Literacy Project, Inc.: A non-profit organization which collects and ships donated books to Africa and the Caribbean where they are used to create libraries in rural schools and communities. Community literacy projects are also established. List of programs and related links.
- Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council: Nonprofit agency that provides reading, writing, math, English language, and computer skills to adults and out of school young adults.
- Hollywood Education Literacy Program (HELP): Literacy program for adults and children in Hollywood, California.
- Indiana Literacy Foundation: A non-profit organization which works with and through volunteer literacy programs across Indiana. List of programs and related links.
- International Reading Association: Seeks to improve quality of reading instruction through studying the reading processes and teaching techniques; serving as a clearinghouse for the dissemination of reading research.
- Kingston Literacy: Kingston Literacy furthers the development and growth of adult and family literacy in Kingston and neighbouring communities. We also create and market literacy resources.
- Literacy Empowerment Foundation: Distribution of free and reduced cost books to schools, literacy groups and distance learners.
- Literacy Matters: Literacy training and resources, lesson plans, advice, and news.
- Literacy Volunteering Opportunities: Online bulletin board. Opportunities are grouped by location. Those aware of unlisted opportunities are encouraged to post the information.
- MonteToyon Learning Center and Reading Connections: Santa Cruz, California, based learning center specializing in training students and teachers in the Phono-Graphix reading method. Also provides instruction in math and writing.
- National Children's Literacy Project (NCLP): A not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing the literacy skills of children; promoting literacy as an integral factor in the growth of society and in an individual's ability to lead a productive and fulfilling life.
- National Institute for Literacy (NIFL): An independent federal organization leading the national effort toward a fully literate United States in the 21st century.
- Operation Read: Operation Read teaches Adult Literacy and English as a Second language. Farm Outreach Video sales in English and Spanish.
- READ Foundation: Reading Excellence and Discovery Foundation's mission is to enable at-risk children to achieve grade level reading proficiency, by using empirically supported educational methods.
- San Jose Area Writing Project: Dedicated to improving the teaching of writing in kindergarten through high school classrooms. News and details about past and future events, registration information for those events, and contact and project information.
- StoryPlus Foundation: A non-profit organization dedicated to improving children's literacy. Background of the group, newsletter, activities and events, and contribution details. In English and in French.
- Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill based network of college students, adult learners, administrators, literacy practitioners and community partners to implement and support participatory education and social change work in campus-based literacy programs.
- Teton Literacy Program: The Teton Literacy Program provides tutoring services for Teton residents who seek to improve their literacy in reading, writing, and speaking English. This site has information for visitors, tutors, students, and supporters.
- The Center for Literacy Studies: Provides research and professional development services that strengthen adult literacy education thru local, regional, national, and international efforts. News, events, statistics, resources and research.
- The National Literacy Trust: British nonprofit devoted to promoting literacy and literacy educators. Issues, statistics, research, events, publications, resources, other related organizations, discussion boards, and contact details.
- Western New York Professional Development Consortium: Providing staff development to teachers and practitioners in the field of Adult Literacy and Education. This site lists resources, workshops, and conferences covering NY State Education initiatives, GED 2002, workforce development themes, and proactive adult education topics.
- World Literacy Crusade: Seeks to eliminate social ills through literacy education for children.