Search Home : Society : People : Women : Issues : Violence and Abuse : Domestic Violence : Legal Issues
- Battered Women and Their Children: Kathleen Waits, Houston Law Review, 1998, Symposium: Domestic Violence and the Health Care System - A personal story of one battered woman's experience in the family court system.
- Battered Women's Justice Project: The Battered Women's Justice Project (BWJP) is a collaborative effort of three nationally respected organizations that have pioneered innovative civil and criminal justice responses to domestic violence. Maintains `resource` library of materials related to domestic violence and the justice system.
- Brandt v. Brant - Michigan Court of Appeals: Decision upholding no contact order restricting parents' contact with children with order of protection in place.
- Child Custody and Visitation Decisions in Domestic Violence Cases: Legal Trends, Research Findings, and Recommendations: Final Report of the Child Custody and Visitation Focus Group
- Domeestic Violence Medical Records: An essay from the Harvard School on Public Health discussing the importance of medical records in domestic violence legal cases.
- Domestic Violence - Mediation Policy in Domestic Violence: The American Bar Association recommends that court-mandated mediation include an opt-out prerogative in any action in which one party has perpetrated domestic violence upon the other party.
- Domestic Violence Court Builds on Drug Court Model: Join Together Organization news article
- Domestic Violence Home Page: The American Bar Association's web site for domestic violence issues. Information for attorneys and survivors. Contains information on protecting privacy for survivors during and after divorce.
- Domestic Violence Notepad: A listing of resources: Provides links to articles, legal help, resources to help victims of domestic violence.
- Domestic Violence Organizations Online: Risks, Ethical Dilemmas, and Liability Issues: Violence Against Women Online Resources - University of Michigan
- Domestic Violence Safety Plan: Safety tips for victims of domestic violence from the American Bar Association. Includes information in Spanish.
- Domestic Violence and the Courtroom: Understanding the Problem and knowing the Victim. The American Judges Foundation.
- Domestic Violence and the Provocation Defence: Arguments against the use of the "loss of control" or provocation defence. Published by Zero Tolerance Against Violence, Canada
- Domestic and Family Violence Resources: The Tribal Court Clearinghouse - Links and Information on Domestic and Family Violence fortribal court personnel, tribal law enforcement personnel, domestic violence victim service agency personnel, social services personnel, and others in handling domestic violence cases and issues.
- Domestic and Family Violence: Criminal Justice Interventions: Paper by Robyn Holder which explores some of the contemporary debates and dilemmas in implementing criminal justice reform in the area of domestic violence. From the Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearinghouse.
- Early Identification of Risk Factors for Parental Abduction OJJDP Publications - General Resources: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention report in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
- Educating To End Domestic Violence: A Law School Report by the American Bar Association Commission on Domestic Violence. Produced with the support of the Office for Victims of Crime, U.S. Department of Justice
- Employment Rights for Survivors of Abuse: NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund helps abused women escape the cycle of violence by advocating for their employment rights through its Employment Rights for Survivors of Abuse project.
- FindLaw Citations for Shipp and Gates vs. McMahon et al.: Information on Tort claim by woman who asserts denial of equal protection on the part of law enforcement in domestic violence case in Louisiana.
- Helping With Domestic Violence: Legal Barriers to Serving Teens in Illinois: Center for Impact Research
- How to Write a Letter to the Judge for Victims of Rape, Domestic Violence, and Child Abuse: Women's Justice Center
- Increasing Your Safety: Full Fiath and Credit for Protection Orders: Developed and Distributed by National Center on Full Faith and Credit, Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence. This guide is for you or someone you know who has a protection order and who may travel across state, territorial or tribal lines. It is intended to help you use the full faith and credit provision of the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 1994. It also explains the federal law and offers ideas about where to get help if you have problems with enforcement of your protection order.
- Innocent Spouse Tax Relief: Information from the IRS on help for spouses who have tax liability because of erroneous filing by a partner. Batterers may threaten to use legal issues such as tax liability against partners to keep them from leaving or requesting equitable child support. The IRS offers help with this filing option. Spouses in danger can be protected from batterers' learning their current address or other identifying information. Consult IRS offices for information.
- Is there a tilt toward abusers in child custody decisions?: Link to Abstract: Sachs, N. P. (2000). Journal of Psychohistory, 28(2), 203-227. This article discusses why abusers are often favored by personnel in the legal system during child custody disputes. The author proposes some new standards that would reform some of these problems and ensure that children are placed in the custody of the better parent.
- Louisiana Protective Order Registry: The Louisiana Protective Order Registry (LPOR) is a project of the Judicial Administrator's Office of the Louisiana Supreme Court. This computerized database was established by state legislation in 1997 and serves as a repository for temporary restraining orders, protective orders, preliminary and permanent injunctions, court approved consent agreements, peace bonds, bail restrictions, sentencing orders, and probation conditions issued for the purpose of preventing harassment, threats, or violence against an intimate partner or family member.
- Macias Case Expert Witness Declaration: Testimony in the wrongful-death suit of Macias vs. Sheriff Mark Ihde et al. Maria Teresa Macias was shot and killed by her estranged husband after repeated requests to enforce a restraining order were ignored by the Sonoma County, California, sheriff's department.
- Michigan vs. Kurr: Appeal granted to woman convicted of manslaughter on grounds of defense of others. Defendant was pregnant when she stabbed boyfriend who had assaulted her.
- National Alliance for Family Court Justice: The National Alliance For Family Court Justice, founded in 1993 by Elisabeth Richards of Annandale,Virginia, is an international `group` of volunteers dedicated to addressing system failure in the courts and social services resulting in retaliation against non-offending parents who complain of family abuse, especially mothers of children who disclose sexual abuse.
- Never Again Foundation: An agency claiming to provide free legal help to women who have been abused or sexually assaulted. No information is provided on officers or directors of this entity. Proceed with caution.
- New Mexico Judicial Education Center Domestic Violence Benchbook: Interactive learning tool for domestic violence, including he applicable requirements of state and federal laws and court cases. It provides information on the dynamics of domestic violence, explains the process governing orders of protection, describes how domestic violence can affect a variety of civil and criminal cases, and addresses pretrial, trial and sentencing issues.
- Opinion: Supreme Court, State of Iowa - Re: Issues of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens.: Nathan Bartsch, a nonresident of Iowa, appeared specially in an Iowa domestic-abuse case under Iowa Code chapter 236 (1999) to challenge the courtÕs personal jurisdiction over him. The court agreed it did not have personal jurisdiction but concluded that, for purposes of entering a protective order under chapter 236, personal jurisdiction was not required. The court also denied NathanÕs motion to dismiss based on forum non conveniens.
- Power Inequality and Dissociated Coercion in the Mediation of Interpersonal and Domestic Disputes: Recognition and Response: Article by Jennifer P. Maxwell, Ph.D., 1998
- Reforming Criminal Code Defences: Provocation, Self-Defence and The Defence of Property (Canada): The defences of provocation, self-defence, and defence of property are frequently invoked in the context of crimes involving the use of force. Canada's laws for these defences have remained virtually unchanged for over a hundred years. Their application and meaning have been refined by decades of judicial interpretation, but the defences are still governed by the language of the Criminal Code. Many individuals and groups believe that these defences reflect archaic and outmoded values and principles and that they need to be reformulated to address modern concerns and realities, particularly in the domestic sphere.
- San Diego City Attorney - Domestic Violence Unit: Information on domestic violence,stalking, and legal strategies for prosecution of crimes involving relationship violence.
- Sanctuary for Families - Legal Center: News and court opinions from an agency in New York State working for the rights of women an children in families where abuse occurs.
- Stalking Through The Courts: The father's rights movement - how to legally stalk, harass, and intimidate victims of domestic violence after a restraining order has been issued.
- Stop Excusing Violence Against Women - NAWL's Brief on Defence of Provocation: National Association of Women and the Law (Canada)
- The Battered Mothers' Testimony Project: A Human Rights Report on Child Custody & Domestic Violence in Massachusetts.: Published by the Women's Rights Network, Wellesley Centers for Women. A human rights report on child custody and domestic violence issues
- The NIJ Research Review: NCJ Number 184752: Test of the Efficacy of Court-Mandated Counseling for Domestic Violence Offenders: The Broward Experiment NCJ Number: 184752 Author: Lynette Feder ; David R. Forde Sponsor: National Institute of Justice US Dept of Justice
- US v. BUNNELL: Protection order and firearm possession case law.
- Visits in Cases Marked By Violence [Julie Kunce Field]: Legal methods for structuring supervised visitation when there has been violence in the family.
- Waikato Law Review: Special Edition on Domestic Violence: Waikato Law Review: Volume 4, Special Edition 1996, Australia
- Women Empowered Against Violence (WEAVE): WEAVE provides holistic services, including legal representation, counseling, and social services, to victims of domestic violence.
- Women's Law Initiative: In this website, you will find state-by-state domestic violence legal and procedural information.