Search Home : Society : Philosophy : Aesthetics
- Aesthetic Judgment: Philosophical theories about judgments of taste; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Nick Zangwill.
- Aesthetics -- Ethical Aspects: Sources for the study of the ethical aspects of aesthetics.
- Aesthetics On-Line: The official web site of the American Society for Aesthetics, this site is for anyone interested in philosophy of art, art theory or art criticism.
- Aesthetics and Computation Group at MIT Media Laboratory: Studying advancements in the process of constructing digital expressions. With details of related courses and events at MIT.
- Aesthetics and Higher Education: 1996 Annual Report to the Board of Trustees, American Society for Aesthetics.
- Aesthetics of Symmetry: A numerical rating system to judge the visual impact and aesthetics of various motifs operated upon by symmetrical transformations.
- Aesthetics-L: Mailing list for the exchange of ideas and information about aesthetics and philosophy of art.
- African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning: University of Virginia exhibition site emphasizing the formal aesthetic aspects of the objects and the moral and religious ideas they express, beyond cultural boundaries.
- Appreciation of Art: Examines various art forms that contain unique elements subject to various interpretations.
- Architectural Aesthetics: Aesthetic values explored at the University of Arizona in terms of balance, order, integrity and meaning.
- Aristos: Arts journal advocating rational standards in scholarship and criticism, informed by Objectivism and promoting traditional values in contemporary arts.
- Art and Imagination: Implications of Cognitive Science for Moral Education: Article by Jonathan Rethorst. Reviews the claim that art is good for the soul.
- Beauty in the Ear of the Beholder: An essay discussing Eduard Hanslick's theory of the musically beautiful, with links to further information and sound recordings.
- British Society of Aesthetics: Contact details, events, calls for papers, and news and research bulletins. Pictures and resources for the annual conference.
- Cafe 3K: Art, letters, and thought today, an online journal of art news and opinion, edited by Stephen and Diane Hand.
- Chenguang Lu: Theory of aesthetics based on dissatisfaction.
- Class Home Page: Philosophy 361: Complete Philosophy of Art internet course at California State University, Long Beach. Includes e-texts and extensive links.
- Contemporary Art Test: Criteria for determining quality in contemporary art. Links to Biddington's art business.
- Creative Strategies and the Counter-Culture of the 90's: Introduction to Hermeneutics, the iconological level of interpretation, and the use of creative devices in art practice, by Guillem Ramos-Poquí and David Rodway.
- Developments in Indian Art and Culture: Explores the philosophical influences on Indian sculpture as well as the value system that created different criterion for expression in the Indian miniature.
- Episteme Links: Aesthetics: Wide-ranging links to related resources and websites for aesthetics.
- Film and Philosophy: New journal published annually by the Society for the Philosophic Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts.
- Images of Eden: Synopsis of the book Images of Eden by architect Arthur Edwards, being an enquiry into the psychology of aesthetics.
- International Association for Philosophy and Literature: Providing a context for the interplay of Philosophy, Literary Theory, and Cultural Studies.
- International Association of Empirical Aesthetics: Society for empirical studies of aesthetics and of the arts, literature, and music.
- International Society for Mathematical and Computational Aesthetics: Detail and analysis on the development of CAD and other influences in contemporary design.
- Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism: Research articles, symposia and book reviews in aesthetics and the arts from Temple University.
- Jurate Macnoriute. Articles on Art Theory. Painting: List of articles on art theory by Jurate Macnoriute. Geometric art analysis, proportions, golden section, visual semiotics, painting, colours analysis.
- Metamute: Metamute is the web platform of Mute magazine. Discusses interrelationship of art and new technologies and contributes to debates on culture, politics and globalisation.
- Metaphysics and Art: Exploration of the classical and scholastic Philosophy of Art, and a discussion of modern art, especially Kandinsky, in the light of classical thought. By Dr. Piotr Jaroszynski.
- On Connoisseurship: Art connoisseur Richard de Koster brings with various ideas about the role of the artist in society, based on a 1994 exhibition at the Boston Institute of Fine Arts.
- Philosophy and Literature: Including ideas in the aesthetics of literature, philosophical interpretation of literature, and literary treatment of philosophy, hosted by Project MUSE.
- Philosophy of Virtuality: Regularly updated site exploring the as if, virtual reality and the philosophy of art. Web pages include methodology, philosophical biography, essays on virtuality and philosophical fiction.
- Physics, Philosophy and Art: Describing 3 views on the world.
- Public Culture: Interdisciplinary journal of cultural studies.
- Rudolf Arnheim - International Study Exhibit: Preliminary announcement of `resource` materials on Rudolf Arnheim, born 1904,and a century of "visual thinking". Arnheim's contributions to aesthetics and gestalt theory in art. The materials are for art students as well as experts to engage with Arnheim's ideas.
- Seven Discourses on Art: Complete work by Sir Joshua Reynolds in plain text and E-Book formats.
- The Aesthetic Realism of Eli Siegel: The New York based, not-for-profit Aesthetic Realism Foundation teaches the education founded by the American poet, critic, and philosopher Eli Siegel.
- The British Journal of Aesthetics: Published to promote study, research, and discussion of the fine arts and related types of experience from a philosophical, psychological, sociological, scientific, historical, critical, and educational standpoint.
- The End of Art: Discussion of "The Death of Art" theory at Frostburg State University Philosophical Forum.
- The Sycamore Review: Nonprofit journal for the arts published twice annually by graduate students at the Department of English, Purdue University.
- Transcendental Aesthetics and Writing: Aesthetics in transcendental literature, including Emerson and Thoreau.
- Trevor Pateman's Selected Works: Topics in philosophical aesthetics including imagination, formalism, beauty and Rothko.
- WCP: Aesthetics and Philosophy of the Arts: The Paideia Project: Proceedings of the 20th World Congress of Philosophy. Archive of contributed papers in Aesthetics and Philosophy of the Arts.
- aesthesis: Weblog devoted to the discussion of aesthetics and art related topics.
This category in other languages: