Search Home : Society : Religion and Spirituality : Christianity : Issues : Social Gospel
- A Consuming Faith: The Social Gospel and Modern American Culture: Information about the book by Susan Curtis.
- A Fundamentalist Social Gospel: Article by Robert Price in the Christian Century on attempts to synthesise what, at first, seem to be two contradictory strains in Christianity; fundamentalism and social gospel.
- A Kingdom on Earth: Anglo-American Social Christianity, 1880-1940: Book review by David Jeremy in the English Historical Review.
- Black Social Gospel: Examines African-American figures in the social gospel movement.
- Capitalism in the Gilded Age: The Social Gospel: Short item on the social gospel movement with profiles of leading figures Washington Gladden and Walter Rauschenbusch.
- Chautauqua Movement: Information on the educational movement influenced b social gospel.
- Christian Socialism: Christian doctrine and practice is examined with respect to the common ownership of property.
- Christian Socialism: Episcopalian viewpoint tracing the history of the movement in Britain from the 1830s to the turn of the last century.
- Christian Socialism: Essay on the movement from Spartacus Schoolnet.
- Christian Socialism in America: Examines the movement as it developed in the United States.
- Christian Socialism is possible: Irving Hexham responds to John Redekopp in this Christian Week article.
- Christian socialism: Definition of the term from the Columbia Encyclopedia.
- Fundamentalism and the Social Gospel: Background article from the companion site to PBS' American Experience episode on the Scope's Monkey Trial.
- Jerusalem: Hymn favoured by Christian socialists and the social gospel movement in Britain and North America.
- Jubilee: The Social Gospel - Revival of Socialism: Christian view on the concept of the Jewish concept of Jubilee which means the redistribution of wealth, the protection of the earth, and the celebration of community.
- Liberalism in Religious Thought - White Social Gospel: Background information on the social gospel movement in the twentieth century and prominent figures in it.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., and the African-American Social Gospel: Clayborne Carson on the religious roots of King's social reformism.
- NOW with Bill Moyers. Society and Community. History of the Social Gospel | PBS: Information about the Social Gospel tradition of Christian socialism.
- Practical Christian Socialism: Selections from Practical Christianity, An Epitome of Practical Christian Socialism by Adin Ballou, edited by Lynn Gordon Hughes.
- Sharing the social gospel - Their Christian Duty: Canadian Missionaries Abroad: For Canadians in China, missionary work went beyond spreading the word of the Bible. Resources from the archives of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Social Gospel: The Social Gospel is an attempt to apply Christianity to the collective ills of an industrializing society, and was a major force in Canadian religious, social and political life from the 1890s through the 1930s.
- Social Gospel: Extensive article from the Mennonite Historical Society of Canada.
- Social Gospel: Article from the Glossary of Religion and Philosophy.
- Social Gospel: The attempt to move society toward the Kingdom of God by applying Jesus' message to social issues.
- Social Gospel: Short discussion of the conflict between social gospel and evangelical Christianity.
- Social Gospel: Definition from The Reader's Companion to American History.
- Social Gospel (Protestant Denominations): Brief definition from AllRefer Encyclopedia.
- Social Gospel Movement: Downloadable books on the topic available by subscription.
- Social Gospel Movement - BoondocksNet Editions: Social Gospel movement books, including The Religion of Revolution and books about Leo Tolstoy, William Lloyd Garrison, Samuel Golden Rule Jones, and the religious movements of the Progressive Era.
- Social Gospel Theology: An explanation of the theological position of the social gospel movement.
- Social and Religious Context of the Social Gospel: The excesses of the Victorian age gave foundation to a number of important political and religious trends that which converged to give rise to the Social Gospel.
- Stephen Timms MP - Christian Socialism Speeches and Articles: Speeches by the British Labour MP on the topic of faith and politics.
- The Chautauqua Movement: Historical resources on the Christian education movement.
- The Christian Socialist Movement: Based in Britain and active in the Labour Party, the CSM is in a tradition that stretches back to the early church. "We all share a belief in justice, peace and the wholeness of creation."
- The Complete Chautauquan: History of the the Chautauqua Movement.
- The Impact Of The "Social Gospel" On The Church: Article by Sewell Hall on the social gospel and its implications for the church.
- The Liberal Protestant Tradition in America: Point form notes on the history of liberal Protestantism.
- The Life and Times of the Prophet Vernon Johns: Father of the Civil Rights Movement: Online book by Dr. Patrick L. Cooney and Henry W. Powell examines the life of the liberal clergeyman and civil rights leader with an extensive look at liberal Christianity and its role in the social justice movements.
- The Origins of the Social Gospel: Lecture notes from a course on "Religious Life in the United States" examining the origins, theology and impact of the social gospel movement.
- The Prophetic Imperative: Social Gospel in Theory and Practice: Discussion guide to the book by Richard S. Gilbert. PDF format.
- The Reverend Henry Wallace: Paper by economics professor Richard E. Hattwick on the social gospel minister and agricultural reformer who was the grandfather of Vice President Henry A. Wallace.
- The Social Gospel - Class Notes: Political perspective on the social gospel movement in early twentieth century America.
- The Social Gospel vs. Imperialism: Primary documents and other resources on the Social gospel movement and its participation in the organized anti-imperialist movement from the 1890s to World War I.
- The Social Gospel--The Social Crusades: Lecture on the social gospel from a course on "Religious Life in the United States" examines the movement in the southern United States and the course of social gospel in the twentieth century.
- The Social Gospel: Lindeman's overlooked inspiration?: Essay by James C. Fisher arguing that Eduard Lindeman's work on adult education was influenced by the social gospel.
- What Was Chautauqua: Historical essay on the Christian educational movement named after the resort in New York state.
- World Missions and the Social Gospel: Anglican timeline.
- lifeissues.net | The Churches and the Social Gospel: Ronald Rolheiser argues that the churches have been, and still are, at those places with the poor where nobody else wants to be.